The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Thoughts on Psychology?

Hi
I currently go to college in West Midlands and would be interested in applying to Queen's. However I am not realistically going to be able to travel over to visit on an Open Day.
I was wondering if anyone studying here would be able to tell me what it is like? I would be studying Psychology and have predicted grades of AAB-BBB. I would very much appreciate pictures! :smile:
Also, any info on the city in general would be helpful as all of the other places I am planning to are in much quieter areas.

Thanks for your help! x
Hey, I'm not currently in the uni (waiting for results). However, I can kinda answer one question - I got accepted for psychology with predicted grades of ABB.
I was also kinda in the same position as I come from London - however it is really nice. I don't have pictures, sorry.
I didn't actually see the uni as I couldn't get round to it for personal reasons, but I have been to the city before due to family.
Well, Belfast is a relatively small city (as compared to other cities) however, it is still a city and has that city vibe! It has good shops and you can have a good night out, if you know where to go!!
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
I don't do Psychology at Queen's, but quite a few of my friends do. They all seem to find it pretty easy. I can't tell you a whole lot about what they study other than for their final exams, they had a multiple choice box ticking paper followed by a mini essay.

As for Belfast, its a nice enough little city I guess. Accommodation is a lot cheaper there than almost anywhere else in the UK (about 100 quid a week for a regular room in student accommodation, or much less if you get private housing), so there's that. However nights out are insanely expensive, and clubs close very early (between 1-2am, depending on the club.). There are lots of nice bars, but again, alcohol is very dear. You're looking at up to £7.50 for a double shot in some bars, and £4 for a double in most clubs, unless they have an offer on.

The accommodation itself is decent, but Queen's is pretty strict on who they let into your room. You're only allowed a few visitors a week/month, and they have to sign in at reception. They're also not allowed to stay over. People usually cheat and give their friends their key card to get around this rule, but it doesn't always work. Also, because most people at Queen's are from Northern Ireland, they tend to go home at the weekend..which means your Fridays and Saturdays might be a bit dull.

Although, if you're interested in quiet areas, then you could consider applying for quiet living at Queen's and feel pretty satisfied. If clubs and partying into the long hours of the morning aren't really your thing, Queen's should be very hospitable lol. Otherwise its still a good university, but I feel like there are other universities in the UK that are just as prestigious but better fun.

Hope this was helpful
Reply 3
Original post by CeeJay96
I don't do Psychology at Queen's, but quite a few of my friends do. They all seem to find it pretty easy. I can't tell you a whole lot about what they study other than for their final exams, they had a multiple choice box ticking paper followed by a mini essay.

As for Belfast, its a nice enough little city I guess. Accommodation is a lot cheaper there than almost anywhere else in the UK (about 100 quid a week for a regular room in student accommodation, or much less if you get private housing), so there's that. However nights out are insanely expensive, and clubs close very early (between 1-2am, depending on the club.). There are lots of nice bars, but again, alcohol is very dear. You're looking at up to £7.50 for a double shot in some bars, and £4 for a double in most clubs, unless they have an offer on.

The accommodation itself is decent, but Queen's is pretty strict on who they let into your room. You're only allowed a few visitors a week/month, and they have to sign in at reception. They're also not allowed to stay over. People usually cheat and give their friends their key card to get around this rule, but it doesn't always work. Also, because most people at Queen's are from Northern Ireland, they tend to go home at the weekend..which means your Fridays and Saturdays might be a bit dull.

Although, if you're interested in quiet areas, then you could consider applying for quiet living at Queen's and feel pretty satisfied. If clubs and partying into the long hours of the morning aren't really your thing, Queen's should be very hospitable lol. Otherwise its still a good university, but I feel like there are other universities in the UK that are just as prestigious but better fun.

Hope this was helpful

Thank you so much! This actually sounds like a really good uni for me... assuming I get that A in Film Studies of course :biggrin: I'm not really a going-out-clubbing kinda person as I'm not a drinker and have social anxiety. My only worry now is the fact that I won't be able to visit beforehand so I'd be applying 'blind'. It will definitely be one of my choices though (depending on my results lol).
Reply 4
Original post by TheBeastHunter_
Hey, I'm not currently in the uni (waiting for results). However, I can kinda answer one question - I got accepted for psychology with predicted grades of ABB.
I was also kinda in the same position as I come from London - however it is really nice. I don't have pictures, sorry.
I didn't actually see the uni as I couldn't get round to it for personal reasons, but I have been to the city before due to family.
Well, Belfast is a relatively small city (as compared to other cities) however, it is still a city and has that city vibe! It has good shops and you can have a good night out, if you know where to go!!

Hope you get the grades needed... Good Luck and please let me know how you get on!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending