The Student Room Group

20 years old and going into first year- will I fit in?

Probably getting myself worked up over nothing here, but I'm starting a new course at uni (dropped out of the last one cos I wasn't enjoying it) as a 20 year old. I guess I'm just a little worried that i'll end up being the oldest there and not fitting in with the cool kids... Throughout high school I never felt like I fitted in. Suppose I'm a bit anxious because of that. If they're all 17/18, I'm worried that they'll be childish and it'll be like my high school days all over again! There's not much of an age gap between an 18 year old and a 20 year old, but the maturity difference is (usually) huge, in my experience

What do you think? I'm probably being silly because I know some people in their late 20s/early 30s at university. Anybody been in a similar situation?
I m 20 and doing first year again, however nursing is full of mature students so i m not worried at all. Uni's a big place you re bound to find people somewhere with the same maturity levels as you so dont worry too much:smile:
Reply 2
You'll be fine! Quite a few of my friends at uni went on two (or more) gap years and they're having a blast! The way I see it, your age won't become an issue unless you make it so. For the average rational human being, age isn't a determining factor when making friends; as long as you have a great personality (which I'm sure you do) you'll have no problem settling in. I know what it's like having a ****ty high school experience, but don't feel like you have to go out of your way to fit in. There's no need to change yourself to the point where you don't recognise yourself anymore. Many of the most popular people I know in uni didn't have the greatest high school experiences either. As cheesy as it sounds, just be you. And remember, with a large student population, there is almost always someone on the same boat as you- the odds are certainly in your favour!
Yes! I'm starting at 23 and worried but 20 isn't even a mature student (on UCAS defined as 21 or over :tongue:)
That's nothing! I started at 21/22 and don't notice a difference. They won't even know until you tell them. Some of my coursemates didn't know til half way through this year that I was 23.
Original post by TheTipsyTarsier
That's nothing! I started at 21/22 and don't notice a difference. They won't even know until you tell them. Some of my coursemates didn't know til half way through this year that I was 23.

Not to hijack but what course are you on? I'm worried about starting at 23 :smile:
A good mate of mine was 27 when we started, and no one thought anything of it despite him being one of the oldest. Everyone finds their cliques and fits in somewhere!
It isn't an issue. There were several people on my undergrad course who were over 24 and they integrated really well with the rest of the year. Similarly one of my group of friends while doing my BSc had done a 4 year psychology degree in france, worked in the hospitals for 2 years before coming to the uk to do a undergraduate maths degree so was quite a bit older than the rest of us and had no problems. You will be fine.
The oldest person on my course is 54, your 20 you will have no issues. No one will notice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You shouldnt be worried at all, even if I'm just talking about my flat, there were two 17 year olds, a 22 year old and me being a 20 year old. There are quite a few older students on my course and even a middle aged lady and even she gets on with all the young people.

Seriously you are only 20, you are only two years older which is nothing, plus lots of people take a gap year or even two so it's not a big deal
If you're worried at 20, I'll be 23 when I start University!

But having spoken to so many people regarding this topic, there is absolutely nothing but benefit from being an "older" person in Uni. A few have said that they confide and NEED their slightly older friends to show them the way in their extra few years of wisdom. In which case, I'll have the whole accommodation block at my door!

Starting Uni again, you'll have that 2nd try experience, which is fantastic.
Not sure why people even care. I'll be 22.

Newsflash: nobody cares about your age.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Quick Reply