The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds

what is Leeds itself like because I have never been before ? Also what is the university like ?
I've been only once to an applicant day. Everything I've heard about the university and its campus has been very positive so far, and my own experiences there were very decent. However, the views I've heard about the city itself have been mixed. I can't corroborate that with my own experiences, as I was unfortunately alone on my trip there and didn't much fancy seeing the city by myself. I will say that the city is very well connected; you'll probably find travel within the city easy to accomplish by taxi or bus, and travelling to other cities is pretty decent compared to other places I've seen; a one-way train ticket from my hometown to Leeds is about £10, compared to the £50 tickets I've seen going to places only twice as far away!

I did notice that of those who had negative things to say of the city, they were all around my age (I don't recall any specific complaints, though I do remember one instance where an acquaintance of mine offered his condolences that I was going. I'm sure it was hyperbole.) Those who gave the city praise were 'proper adults'-- teachers, career advisor, etc, who just generally said that it was quite a nice city. It should be noted that these people are in positions that make them more prone to withhold any negative sentiment (they want to be as encouraging as possible) so take that for what you will.

On these forums, the impression I get is mixed as far as the 'nightlife' goes; some say it's dead and mostly comprised of old people xD Some say it's pretty great.

As far as safety goes, the forum tends to agree that like every city, Leeds has its nice parts and it's not-so-nice parts.

Sorry that I can't give you more to go off of, but I hope this helps.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by Benguin
I've been only once to an applicant day. Everything I've heard about the university and its campus has been very positive so far, and my own experiences there were very decent. However, the views I've heard about the city itself have been mixed. I can't corroborate that with my own experiences, as I was unfortunately alone on my trip there and didn't much fancy seeing the city by myself. I will say that the city is very well connected; you'll probably find travel within the city easy to accomplish by taxi or bus, and travelling to other cities is pretty decent compared to other places I've seen; a one-way train ticket from my hometown to Leeds is about £10, compared to the £50 tickets I've seen going to places only twice as far away!

I did notice that of those who had negative things to say of the city, they were all around my age (I don't recall any specific complaints, though I do remember one instance where an acquaintance of mine offered his condolences that I was going. I'm sure it was hyperbole.) Those who gave the city praise were 'proper adults'-- teachers, career advisor, etc, who just generally said that it was quite a nice city. It should be noted that these people are in positions that make them more prone to withhold any negative sentiment (they want to be as encouraging as possible) so take that for what you will.

On these forums, the impression I get is mixed as far as the 'nightlife' goes; some say it's dead and mostly comprised of old people xD Some say it's pretty great.

As far as safety goes, the forum tends to agree that like every city, Leeds has its nice parts and it's not-so-nice parts.

Sorry that I can't give you more to go off of, but I hope this helps.

thank you advice i don't like the sound of being surrounded old people. I'm not to sure about the night life I like going out but meh

Quick Reply

Latest