The Student Room Group

Will taking Further Maths as a third subject be a disadvantage to apply for uni?

I have done my AS exams, but I feel not good about my physics, so I decide I will probably drop it in A2.

If I do, I have only three full A levels, including maths and further maths.

Ive heard some unis dont like students doing that, because they are too similar (Baths, LSE said that.). Now I am just worried if I apply with 3 A levels including maths and further maths, will this be a disadvantage?

The subject I want to do in uni is economics, although I know they like further maths for economics, im still worried.

So here is my question?
1. Idk what to do, can anyone help me please?? espeically those who did apply for uni with three alevels including both maths. Will taking Further Maths as a third subject be a disadvantage to apply for uni?

2. Btw, my maths teacher mentioned something about FP2 is reallllllllyyyyyy hard, and lots of students will be put off by it, so if you have three alevels including maths and further, there is a chance you are not likely to go to uni.............. Is that true? Is FP2 really extremely hard??

3. is it better to take four alevels with AAAB or AABB better than three AAA or AABB??
(I heard some unis accept AABB if the offer is AAA ---- give you a lower offer if you do fou..)

Thanks everyone! so many questions lol..
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by joshgofe
I have done my AS exams, but I feel not good about my physics, so I decide I will probably drop it in A2.

Ive heard some unis dont like students doing that, because they are too similar (Baths, LSE said that.). Now I am just worried if I apply with 3 A levels including maths and further maths, will this be a disadvantage?

The subject I want to do in uni is economics, although I know they like further maths for economics, im still worried.

So here is my question?
1. Idk what to do, can anyone help me please?? espeically those who did apply for uni with three alevels including both maths. Will taking Further Maths as a third subject be a disadvantage to apply for uni?

2. Btw, my maths teacher mentioned something about FP2 is reallllllllyyyyyy hard, and lots of students will be put off by it, so if you have three alevels including maths and further, there is a chance you are not likely to go to uni.............. Is that true? Is FP2 really extremely hard??

3. is it better to take four alevels with AAAB or AABB better than three AAA or AABB??
(I heard some unis accept AABB if the offer is AAA ---- give you a lower offer if you do fou..)

I think doing maths and further maths is only a disadvantage if you're applying for courses that have nothing to do with maths. Email relevant departments and ask them specifically, then follow their advice

Yes, FP2 is disgustingly hard, but not impossible
You aren't going to like what I say but in response to your question, yes quite a few top unis don't allow further maths as a third a-level choice, only as a complementary 4th choice. I know for definite lse will instantly reject you if you only have those 3 (not wanting to sound like a dick but I think it's better not to sugar coat it), not too sure on others but ucl may not allow it either.

However some top unis do allow it (someone from my 6th form is now at nottingham and he only did 3 a-levels including fm.)
I'd advice reading all prospectus unis entry requirements for economics online, all of them have them on there and outline VERY clearly what subjects they allow, and if there aren't straight answers ask the admissions tutors on open days or by emailing them.

Once you've decided your 5 you may have 5 where it isn't a big deal or some whete you will definitely get rejected and need another a-level. If that's the situation my advice would be to possibly drop further maths (which you only need to as-level for any picky unis like lse, although you'll have to have got an A), and then taking up another a-level and dping both as and a2 in 1 year.
The idea that many unis don't take further maths is a myth. It might've been truer a few years ago but as of this point most all unis accept further maths as a separate qualification from maths. And if you're going for economics at uni there is quite a lot of maths at points, so the further maths will definitely not hurt. Universities recognise that further maths is harder than the average A level and treat it accordingly. Obviously as stated, if you're not going for something that relies on maths or has a science base it might not be as beneficial. But for economics, further maths will be great. This is coming from someone who did maths, further maths, physics and economics at AS, like you.
Original post by ThePlanck
The idea that many unis don't take further maths is a myth. It might've been truer a few years ago but as of this point most all unis accept further maths as a separate qualification from maths. And if you're going for economics at uni there is quite a lot of maths at points, so the further maths will definitely not hurt. Universities recognise that further maths is harder than the average A level and treat it accordingly. Obviously as stated, if you're not going for something that relies on maths or has a science base it might not be as beneficial. But for economics, further maths will be great. This is coming from someone who did maths, further maths, physics and economics at AS, like you.

I'm sorry but what you're saying is simply incorrect. This is from LSE's economics entry requirements page for THIS YEAR:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2016/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx

UCAS code: L101
Programme requirement:
A level Mathematics is required. Further Mathematics at A or AS level is a valuable indicator of potential for our highly quantitative degrees. However in Economics at LSE we expect it as a fourth subject only, and also welcome applicants with an essay-based A level such as HistoryA level Economics or equivalent is not currently required for any of our Department degrees and the first-year Economics course does not assume it at present. However more than 90 per cent of students entering LSE Economics Department degrees have done A level, Singapore Higher or International Baccalaureate Economics. The new syllabi beginning in 2015 for A level Economics, offered by various boards in consultation with university departments, can be particularly recommended as valuable. Note however that where a school only offers combined Economics and Business A level or no Economics at all, LSE will never discriminate against its candidates for our degrees No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media StudiesUsual standard offer: For students taking three A levels: grades A* A A with an A* in Mathematics. For students taking four or more A levels: grades A*A A plus a pass in a fourth A level, with an A* in Mathematics. Students taking Further Mathematics to AS level only will be required to achieve grade A
International Baccalaureate: Diploma with 38 points including 7 6 6 at Higher level (with 7 in Mathematics)

Other qualifications are consideredFor further details see lse.ac.uk/ug/apply/ecn

Applications 2014:

First year students 2014:

SOME uni's do allow it as a third subject when applying or economics, others don't. The best advice is to email or ask each admissions tutor at the open day and get their advice, as, in all honesty, it is going to be much more reliable than advice from other students who are going through the application process.
Original post by leinad2012
I'm sorry but what you're saying is simply incorrect. This is from LSE's economics entry requirements page for THIS YEAR:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2016/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx

UCAS code: L101
Programme requirement: A level Mathematics is required. Further Mathematics at A or AS level is a valuable indicator of potential for our highly quantitative degrees. However in Economics at LSE we expect it as a fourth subject only, and also welcome applicants with an essay-based A level such as HistoryA level Economics or equivalent is not currently required for any of our Department degrees and the first-year Economics course does not assume it at present. However more than 90 per cent of students entering LSE Economics Department degrees have done A level, Singapore Higher or International Baccalaureate Economics. The new syllabi beginning in 2015 for A level Economics, offered by various boards in consultation with university departments, can be particularly recommended as valuable. Note however that where a school only offers combined Economics and Business A level or no Economics at all, LSE will never discriminate against its candidates for our degrees No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media StudiesUsual standard offer: For students taking three A levels: grades A* A A with an A* in Mathematics. For students taking four or more A levels: grades A*A A plus a pass in a fourth A level, with an A* in Mathematics. Students taking Further Mathematics to AS level only will be required to achieve grade A
International Baccalaureate: Diploma with 38 points including 7 6 6 at Higher level (with 7 in Mathematics)

Other qualifications are consideredFor further details see lse.ac.uk/ug/apply/ecn

Applications 2014: 2,711

First year students 2014: 230

SOME uni's do allow it as a third subject when applying or economics, others don't. The best advice is to email or ask each admissions tutor at the open day and get their advice, as, in all honesty, it is going to be much more reliable than advice from other students who are going through the application process.

That's why I did say most universities. It's seems like LSE is one of the few who don't.
That's why I did say most universities. It's seems like LSE is one of the few who don't.

You said it was a myth and then "most all" which is difficult to translate unsurprisingly. A fair few other uni's are also as picky but just don't say it like LSE does (e.g. UCL and Cambridge often don't allow FM as a 3rd subject for economics)

So here is my question?

FP2 isn't too hard to be honest. If you want to do a maths-related subject at uni, then I don't see a problem doing both Maths and Further. As someone mentioned earlier, if you're that worried, email the University departments and ask. I'm sure they'll be happy to help.
Original post by leinad2012
You said it was a myth and then "most all" which is difficult to translate unsurprisingly. A fair few other uni's are also as picky but just don't say it like LSE does (e.g. UCL and Cambridge often don't allow FM as a 3rd subject for economics)

Neither of those universities have anything on their websites about not accepting further maths as one of the three a levels. Cambridge even says some of its colleges require STEP, so it would therefore be safe to say that further maths would be helpful as well. Oxford and Warwick also have no mention of not accepting further maths. So LSE does seem to be the outlier here.
Neither of those universities have anything on their websites about not accepting further maths as one of the three a levels. Cambridge even says some of its colleges require STEP, so it would therefore be safe to say that further maths would be helpful as well. Oxford and Warwick also have no mention of not accepting further maths. So LSE does seem to be the outlier here.

Yes, but I'm talking in terms of actual circumstance rather than what is on their website, I know a fair few candidates who were rejected by Cambridge and UCL with the reason being lack of a 3rd subject. My point is that FM helps definitely, but these uni's have 10:1 applicants per place ratios, they can be as picky as they like, and as a result a fair number, whilst they won't say it on their application page, will often not offer places to people with those 3 subjects.

So here is my question?

1. I don't think LSE accept that combination of A levels - not broad enough. Email them and ask but admissions 2 years ago did not allow for 3 A levels and double maths

2. nah fp2 is easy if you do enough practice. to be honest you don't have to understand it too much, more memorise the types of questions and you'll find that you'll do well. you can do this by doing all relevant questions in the past 15 years or so.

3. offers usually based on 3 so better to have 3 strong rather than 4 mediocre, which is why many drop to 3. but having 4 looks much stronger and you should be able to handle the workload as it will only get tougher at uni. given that you're doing double maths, the work for regular maths is very little

no longer the case, but point still stands - its a mathematical course
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Hey I'm studying Maths and Econ at LSE going into my third year.
At A-level I did
-Maths
-Further Maths
-Economics

Thats it ! The difference is I applied for Econ AND maths not straight econ. Let me tell you a little secret I did the same first year as 50% of those who did straight econ and I could VERY easily have changed all you need to do is get a 2:1 in your first year...... Conclusion: if you want to take M, FM, E like I did but want to do straight econ then apply to math and/or econ and change, simple !

Getting in is the hard bit, once your in its very easy to switch between similar courses, this is actually true for a lot of unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending