gwesh
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hi everyone,

I've recently received a occupational health questionnaire from my UNI after being offered a place for secondary PGCE.

The form has to be countersigned by my GP. When I went to the practice they said they would charge me 140 pounds.

I understand that the GP has to look at my medical records but I still feel it's extortionate.

Has anyone been charged that kind of money before?
Is there any way to avoid paying that?

I might contact my uni too

thanks for your answers
EPluribus Unum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Welcome to Capitalism.
lledrith
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
sounds steep. I recall having to pay through the nose for a medical check for a temp job in Canada, but for my uni course the gp only charged me £13...

Posted from TSR Mobile
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gwesh)
hi everyone,

I've recently received a occupational health questionnaire from my UNI after being offered a place for secondary PGCE.

The form has to be countersigned by my GP. When I went to the practice they said they would charge me 140 pounds.

I understand that the GP has to look at my medical records but I still feel it's extortionate.

Has anyone been charged that kind of money before?
Is there any way to avoid paying that?

I might contact my uni too

thanks for your answers
my uni gp charges £50 to sign forms, hoping my nursing occupational health doesnt need a gp signature.
can you register to a different gp? otherwise no way of getting round it
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wotttt?? Is this nhs??
Ftmshk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They will be treating you as a private patient and charging you their standard rate. It might be worth speaking to your actual GP, explaining you are a poor student and asking whether they could possibly waive or reduce the fee because of your financial circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Moved to Education and Teaching
RagaZ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My uni asked for one too, but my GP gave it to me for free! £140! i wouldnt know where to get that money from
TraineeLynsey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've never needed a GP to counter sign an occupational health form. Even for a medical driving license my hospital consultant never charged me for anything...

Seems outrageous, to be honest!
hana&feather
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't know that you'll need a GP to countersign these forms - my provider hasn't sent us anything about this yet. I don't have a GP atm after being 'healthy' for 2+ years and not seeing her I got 'de-registered' from my surgery. Finding time off to submit the registration again at another one is not easy. I would be very made if they charge 140!!! (Already they charge £15 for a simple letter to uni that I visited them for throat infection on what's supposed to be my presentation day).
SarahLou0385
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I thought the £20 my GP charged was a bit rich, given it took them 2 months to do it...I can't imagine what my reaction would've been if they'd charged that much! That's absolutely insane! :-O

Minds are like parachutes - they work best when open!
redmel1621
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My GP charged £18 and he did in it less than a week

I would be furious if he tried to charge £140.
ryanb97
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Injections cost more 😪
Samus2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was charged 20 last year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (36)
29.51%
No (86)
70.49%

Watched Threads