The Student Room Group

GP wants to charge £140 for a medical form PGCE

hi everyone,

I've recently received a occupational health questionnaire from my UNI after being offered a place for secondary PGCE.

The form has to be countersigned by my GP. When I went to the practice they said they would charge me 140 pounds.

I understand that the GP has to look at my medical records but I still feel it's extortionate.

Has anyone been charged that kind of money before?
Is there any way to avoid paying that?

I might contact my uni too

thanks for your answers
Welcome to Capitalism.
:frown: sounds steep. I recall having to pay through the nose for a medical check for a temp job in Canada, but for my uni course the gp only charged me £13...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gwesh
hi everyone,

I've recently received a occupational health questionnaire from my UNI after being offered a place for secondary PGCE.

The form has to be countersigned by my GP. When I went to the practice they said they would charge me 140 pounds.

I understand that the GP has to look at my medical records but I still feel it's extortionate.

Has anyone been charged that kind of money before?
Is there any way to avoid paying that?

I might contact my uni too

thanks for your answers

my uni gp charges £50 to sign forms, hoping my nursing occupational health doesnt need a gp signature.
can you register to a different gp? otherwise no way of getting round it
Wotttt?? Is this nhs??
Reply 5
They will be treating you as a private patient and charging you their standard rate. It might be worth speaking to your actual GP, explaining you are a poor student and asking whether they could possibly waive or reduce the fee because of your financial circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moved to Education and Teaching :smile:
Reply 7
My uni asked for one too, but my GP gave it to me for free! £140! i wouldnt know where to get that money from
I've never needed a GP to counter sign an occupational health form. Even for a medical driving license my hospital consultant never charged me for anything...

Seems outrageous, to be honest!
I didn't know that you'll need a GP to countersign these forms - my provider hasn't sent us anything about this yet. I don't have a GP atm after being 'healthy' for 2+ years and not seeing her I got 'de-registered' from my surgery. Finding time off to submit the registration again at another one is not easy. I would be very made if they charge 140!!! (Already they charge £15 for a simple letter to uni that I visited them for throat infection on what's supposed to be my presentation day).
I thought the £20 my GP charged was a bit rich, given it took them 2 months to do it...I can't imagine what my reaction would've been if they'd charged that much! That's absolutely insane! :-O

Minds are like parachutes - they work best when open!
My GP charged £18 and he did in it less than a week :smile:

I would be furious if he tried to charge £140.
Injections cost more 😪
Reply 13
I was charged 20 last year.
Hi,
I have been offered a place in Dietetics and my GP is not ready to sign the occupational health form. It's been weeks now I have been asking them to sign but they told me that they are authorised to do this. Is this excuse valid? Too little time is left as they have started giving appointments for health check in the uni. Can somebody suggest what are the options for me please
Original post by Mitshweta
Hi,
I have been offered a place in Dietetics and my GP is not ready to sign the occupational health form. It's been weeks now I have been asking them to sign but they told me that they are authorised to do this. Is this excuse valid? Too little time is left as they have started giving appointments for health check in the uni. Can somebody suggest what are the options for me please

Hi

Your best bet is to start your own thread in the healthcare section.

Quick Reply

Latest