The Student Room Group

Four vs Five A-Levels

Hi, I would like advice please on whether or not to take a fifth A-Level subject.

I have already signed up for Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science. I'm not sure what I want to do in the future. I am mainly interested in theoretical physics and programming, but I want to keep open doors, so I am considering taking Biology.

I didn't revise much at-all for GCSEs so unfortunately I'm expecting 3/4 A*, the rest As and 1 C.

I was intending on making an Oxford application and even though I'll still apply, realistically I know I've lost my chance with the GCSE results I'm expecting. Point is, I'm lazy and therefore not sure how likely I am to keep up with 5 subjects at A-Level, especially as most who take 5 take a soft subject. However, I'm reluctant to do only 4 subjects. My mentality is that if anyone can take 5, then I can. I also have a genuine interest in Biology.

I'm willing to work harder at A-Level to pull this off, but I've read taking 5 A-Levels being warned about as difficult, and accordingly I wanted to check what other people thought to convince myself that this isn't complete folly. Advice is appreciated.

Apologies for any poor wording.
Many thanks.
(edited 1 year ago)
Take biology only if you can cope up with it and you need to work hard,If you are lazy the results can be similar to your GCSE's.If you cant take something which you are interested in and which is also easy to study
Id only do it if you are sure you can cope and get good grades in them.
Being lazy and a-levels dont really mix im afraid.
Reply 3
You could always start off doing 5, see how you cope with the workload, and drop Biology if you need to.
Reply 4
Since you're doing two maths A levels, it shouldn't be too hard to take five A levels as you won't have to work as hard as you would if you were doing 5 very different subjects. If you feel as if you can keep up with the workload and enjoy Biology, then go for five. You can always drop a subject for A2.

Quick Reply

Latest