Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please help me??? Ok, the first one if pretty easy, but i just can't figure it out :
    Draw the graph of y=X3(superscipt errors???)+2...i've done that...
    Now use your graph to find an estimate of the solution of the equation X3+2=0 and x3+2=8
    And...by drawing a suitable straight line on the grid, find estimates of the solutions of the equation x3-4x+2=0
    Ummm im confused, can somebody tell me what i did to do? I tried looking it up in a book, but i couldnt find anything useful!
    the second question is about circle theorems:
    I found that one of them is 23 degrees, but i need to find ABD...and i can't! (the answer should be 65-do you find it though???)

ReputationRep:
    ummm there's supposed to be an attachment...where is it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ohhh it appears that the file was too large...but it's just a simple picture i did in paint....
    how do you attach pictures??????? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_girl)
    ummm there's supposed to be an attachment...where is it? :confused:
    did u remember to upload it after you browsed for it??

ReputationRep:
    For the first bit you have y = x^3 + 2, thats fine.
    Now when they say "find an estimate to the soluton of x^3 + 2= 0
    all you do is substitue your value for y, (i.e. x^3 +2) = so basically that means it's y=0. So what you do is on your graph you draw the line, though you probably dont have to anyway, y=0. and where the original line hits that y=0 line, thats your estimate(s)

For the second bit, x3+2=8 same concept,
    you substitute, your x^3 +2 which is y, into that equation, so it becoems y=8 and so again you draw the line, y=8
    and same thing, you read off where the original line hits y=8 and read off your estimate(s). Hope thats right.

ReputationRep:
    nothing is working....i can't attach the picture

ReputationRep:
    ohhh it appears that the file was too large...but it's just a simple picture i did in paint....
    how do you attach pictures??????? :confused:
    There's a button called "Manage Attachments" a bit below the area where you type in your post. A window comes up, You browse your hard disc for the file, select it, go back to the window, then upoload it from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamal1425)
    For the first bit you have y = x^3 + 2, thats fine.
    Now when they say "find an estimate to the soluton of x^3 + 2= 0
    all you do is substitue your value for y, (i.e. x^3 +2) = so basically that means it's y=0. So what you do is on your graph you draw the line, though you probably dont have to anyway, y=0. and where the original line hits that y=0 line, thats your estimate(s)

For the second bit, x3+2=8 same concept,
    you substitute, your x^3 +2 which is y, into that equation, so it becoems y=8 and so again you draw the line, y=8
    and same thing, you read off where the original line hits y=8 and read off your estimate(s). Hope thats right.
    ohh, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fermat)
    There's a button called "Manage Attachments" a bit below the area where you type in your post. A window comes up, You browse your hard disc for the file, select it, go back to the window, then upoload it from there.
    yeah, but it says it's too large...and it's a small file...so if -that's- too large, what can you attach?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but it says it's too large...and it's a small file...so if -that's- too large, what can you attach?!?!?
    What you'll have to do then is go into paint again and save your image as a jpeg, so it has a smaller file size, although the image will turn out kind of jagged and blurry.

ReputationRep:
    I hope this works!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    yay! Thanks for the advice!(I feel stupid now, lol)
    Erm...i know it's not a v. good picture...but i tried

ReputationRep:
    Angle ABD I think is to do with the Alternate segment theorem.
    And because ABD is on a semi circle, and angles at a semi circle are 90,
    it's 90-25 (25 being the alternate angle) so <ABD = 65 degrees.

ReputationRep:
    what paper is ur question from, i recognise the pic

ReputationRep:
    thank you for the help!
    i think it's edexcel 2002 non calc

ReputationRep:
    if you have adobe then you should be able to view the solutions for that paper which ive attached
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Paper 5 Summer 2002 1.0.pdf (36.9 KB, 362 views)

ReputationRep:
    ohh thank you! I have the answers, but I don't have the explanations...thanks!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.