The Student Room Group

Four in 10 students say university not good value

Scroll to see replies

Original post by somethingbeautiful
Says you, who doesn't know the difference between 'have' and 'of'.

OMG hahahahah. Finding grammatical mistakes in my post because you can't find any mistakes in my actual argument. Oh god, you must be such a fun person.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
OMG hahahahah. Finding grammatical mistakes in my post because you can't find any mistakes in my actual argument. Oh god, you must be such a fun person.

Your 'argument' is totally stupid. I've already responded to a similar line of thought in this thread so I'm not going to waste my time doing it again just because you're incapable of reading through. How you think you can go around calling graduates 'dumb' when you don't even have a basic grasp of grammar is beyond me. Trying to deflect my point by insinuating that I'm not a 'fun' person is totally irrelevant and shows your lack of ability to engage in any kind of mature discussion.
4/10 students haven't seen what American tuition fees are like..
Your 'argument' is totally stupid. I've already responded to a similar line of thought in this thread so I'm not going to waste my time doing it again just because you're incapable of reading through. How you think you can go around calling graduates 'dumb' when you don't even have a basic grasp of grammar is beyond me. Trying to deflect my point by insinuating that I'm not a 'fun' person is totally irrelevant and shows your lack of ability to engage in any kind of mature discussion.

If your argument technique is to belittle and stay away from the point, then I wish you good luck with your future endeavors :smile:
I made a perfectly valid point, referring to the obvious correlation between the quality of student + their resultant qualification, and whether they thought the degree was worth the money. Completely valid point. You cannot even attempt to say there is zero correlation there. I just expressed it in a relaxed way, no perfect construction, no perfect grammar, none of which is needed to convey a point fairly. Therefore, the only point you could come up with in your argument - of me being a hypocrite - is flawed. Got a better stance you can argue from? It's fine if not, you can just accept my point is true :smile:

Deflect your point? You could only bring up my grammar. Not exactly an excellent point if you ask me. You really are deluded.
If your argument technique is to belittle and stay away from the point, then I wish you good luck with your future endeavors :smile:
I made a perfectly valid point, referring to the obvious correlation between the quality of student + their resultant qualification, and whether they thought the degree was worth the money. Completely valid point. You cannot even attempt to say there is zero correlation there. I just expressed it in a relaxed way, no perfect construction, no perfect grammar, none of which is needed to convey a point fairly. Therefore, the only point you could come up with in your argument - of me being a hypocrite - is flawed. Got a better stance you can argue from? It's fine if not, you can just accept my point is true :smile:

Deflect your point? You could only bring up my grammar. Not exactly an excellent point if you ask me. You really are deluded.

I'm quite willing to have a reasonable discussion with you or anyone else on this topic but you're coming off as totally rude and unwilling to engage in thoughtful discussion. Your first post called grads ''****ing idiots'' - did you honestly expect people to take kindly to that? You're on The Student Room and there is a large graduate population - myself being one of them.

At what point did you feel 'belittled' by anything I said to you? The point at which I told you that you have no place calling graduates who feel like their university experience was not good value
f*cking idiots
when you aren't even able to use basic grammar? Don't you think it's more belittling to call graduates ''****ing idiots'' and to ridicule their degrees when 1) You don't even know what degrees those 4/10 have and 2) Even if they did go to Kingston, they paid 3-9K so they have a right to voice their opinion on the quality of their university education.

The people that think it's not value for money are the ones doing Land Economy at Kingston University.

You don't know that. There are graduates from RGs/Top 30s who are unsatisfied with the value of their degree. By just waving off the whole debate with that remark you're totally missing the point. There are people in the UK with good degrees from good universities who are on school leaver salaries or on the dole.

somethingbeautiful
Take for example the 'career prospects' section on the website for my degree:

Graduates in Philosophy obtain work in such fields as advertising, the arts, broadcasting, commerce, the Civil Service, computing, journalism, marketing, politics, law, management and teaching.
Sounds great, right?

Then uni stats tells you the truth:

Typical salary £14-20K
40% In employment
15% In further study
10% Studying and working
30% Unemployed

Of those in employment:

50% in a professional/managerial role
50% not in a professional/managerial role

So of those 40% who actually have a full time job, 50% of them are not in graduate roles. So they're doing entry level things that I've mentioned - shop work/call center/care work etc and 30% of the overall are on the dole! My Alma Matter is a top 30 RG and the course is hardly Basket Weaving BA Hons.

I'm now expecting you to tell me ''oh well it's Philosophy not STEM'' etc and totally miss the point yet again.

I made a perfectly valid point, referring to the obvious correlation between the quality of student + their resultant qualification

If you're referring to:

Basically 4/10 University students are too stupid for University and shouldn't of gone...

that is not a 'valid point'. It's not based on anything whatsoever other than that you have an obviously elitist attitude (just because you're applying to Cambridge, right?).

You're not a graduate, you have zero experience of university, zero experience of the graduate jobs market and zero experience of the real world yet you think it's 'completely valid' to call graduates - people who have worked hard for a degree for decent job - ''****ing idiots'' without knowing anything about them or their degree. Then you have the audacity to say that I was belittling towards you for pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of your terrible use of grammar whilst calling university graduates 'stupid' and '****ing idiots'.

Your argument, I'll repeat, is stupid and your attitude is disgusting and immature.

You don't know that. There are graduates from RGs/Top 30s who are unsatisfied with the value of their degree. By just waving off the whole debate with that remark you're totally missing the point. There are people in the UK with good degrees from good universities who are on school leaver salaries or on the dole.

Connecting degrees so closely to jobs here might be part of the problem, on two levels. Firstly, there is the rather depressing fact that a lot of people see their degree, and education in general, in purely instrumental terms. If one attaches no value to the actual process of education one is likely to attach less value to the sum of the process and the economic result. Secondly, if you start your degree on the (usually) mistaken assumption that it alone will be enough to get you the job you want, without your developing your CV in other ways, you're likely to find that you can't get the jobs you thought you could, and end up blaming your degree, whereas really it's on you.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Right to education is a human right.

Whether it will be a right our Tory overlords give is another question I guess....

Right to education is not a human right, literally there is no such thing as human right imo. Human rights are provided by the 5% smartest people to secure their place (or to obtain their place) in a cleverer way than oppressing on the 95% of common people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Its great value if you never earn enough to pay it back :colonhash:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Connecting degrees so closely to jobs here might be part of the problem, on two levels. Firstly, there is the rather depressing fact that a lot of people see their degree, and education in general, in purely instrumental terms. If one attaches no value to the actual process of education one is likely to attach less value to the sum of the process and the economic result. Secondly, if you start your degree on the (usually) mistaken assumption that it alone will be enough to get you the job you want, without your developing your CV in other ways, you're likely to find that you can't get the jobs you thought you could, and end up blaming your degree, whereas really it's on you.

I agree with this to an extent but as I've said elsewhere, there are thousands of people who leave school and go straight to university because it's presented to them as the only route to success. That attitude is prevalent here on TSR and it's plain to see when people are berated and ridiculed for studying BTECs or NVQs en route to a more vocational career.

A lot of young people seem to be brainwashed into thinking that if they don't go to uni as soon as they finish school then they're going to be failures. Schools don't care what degree their students apply to because once they're out of school they're out of their hands - all that matters is that the school can sax 'X percent' of their 6th form received university offers. It's of no benefit to the government (or previous governments) to deter young people from going off and studying something with zero employablity because whilst those kids are at uni studying something that won't result in a job it keeps them out of the benefits system for 3 years and keeps the overall unemployment statistics down.

Most young people just associate a degree with a good job and when you look on uni websites on individual degree courses all of the employment prospects are glorified and if you listen to careers advisers as a young person they'll tell you that ''on average a graduate will have a higher salary than....etc etc'' without specifying which graduates from which universities, which degrees, which backgrounds (it does matter when securing work experience) and at what stage in their life they are on certain salaries.

It's only lately (this year) that I've seen a drive towards more vocational careers by the current government but I really don't think it will make a dent on the numbers of young people applying to university. Most people go under false pretenses, mis-information, fear of failure and encouragement from schools who want to meet certain quotas. To then say that it's solely the fault of those graduates who can't get work and that they only have themselves to blame for doing useless degrees etc - that's where I strongly disagree. It's a popular opinion, I know, but it's an opinion which lacks real thought and consideration of the way that our society works and why young people are going in their thousands to university in the first place.

I completely agree, however, that there is more to the value of a degree than it being a means to an end in terms of getting a job afterwards. The value of the education itself is something to consider but I don't think that is the primary reason that young people apply in the first place - they're more likely drawn in by talk of salaries and prospects and that's why they're rightly upset when graduate job prospects don't meet the reality that was sold to them.
(edited 8 years ago)
I could possibly say right now I feel like I don't get what I feel is good value out of my degree, but 5 year old me would also say that about going to school 5 days a week, but I am very grateful for that now.

It does seem that with the way university subjects are taught right now that the lecturers do try to teach you what they have already prepared from previous years, and then try to sell their books on the subject to get that extra money out of you.
Reply 90
The way its paid back means you pay what it was worth for you individually ie you never get a decent wage after graduating so you pay none/little tuition fees, if you get a high paying job you'll pay much more or even all of your loan but as you have a high paid job you could say it was worth that amount of money.

Obviously some people get a high paying job without a degree or say their high paying job wasn't because of their degree but it generally I think the way the loan is taken off makes it very fair.

As for my course (biomedical science) its impossible to the job get without a degree, very very little chance of getting sponsored for you to do a degree as its mainly NHS and at my uni (Nottingham Trent) we spend a fair amount of time in our super expensive brand new lab with some fairly well known researchers teaching us and helpful careers advisers who help to get people summer and year long placements which massively improve job prospects. On top of all that I have met the best people from all over the UK and learnt to live independently in a brand new city.
Original post by lappong99
Right to education is not a human right, literally there is no such thing as human right imo. Human rights are provided by the 5% smartest people to secure their place (or to obtain their place) in a cleverer way than oppressing on the 95% of common people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_education
Reply 92
I did a 15 month top-up accounting degree by distance learning from Northampton, which cost me just over £3k. All they did for the money was provide e-library access and powerpoint slides / notes, mark I think 9 pieces of work, and enter into an email discussion regarding a dissertation. There was no contact or direct teaching at all.

This was already awful value for a teach yourself course, and when my dissertation supervisor went into hiding for almost three months I had to start pestering random people in the department and threatening to travel to Northampton to turn up and hunt them down.

The same course would now be 9k, which is just disgraceful greed.

On the other hand... I got a graduate job that I wouldn't otherwise have got as a direct result of it, so with a hand on my heart my advice to anyone considering falling for this cheap blackmail trick would have to be to do so :-(

Or else to learn Swedish and move to a decent country...

You can't appeal to articles in international conventions to establish that it 'is' a 'human right' in a moral sense. It just doesn't work.

I wouldn't say that students are solely responsible for their own false impressions of degree courses. Schools certainly have a role to play in giving realistic facts etc, although I think one should bear in mind that schools are (generally) academic institutions and that it is perfectly understandable that teachers might have a bias towards academic education. But I take the point. I think a lot should probably do more to have realistic conversations with students about where they're intending to go etc.

It remains that a lot of students judge the value of their degree on the basis that they don't meet up to their unrealistic or incorrect expectations, however they got those expectations.

On the other point I think we basically agree.
(edited 8 years ago)
You can't appeal to articles in international conventions to establish that it 'is' a 'human right' in a moral sense. It just doesn't work.

I wasn't trying to.

I think existential nihilism is correct. Doesn't mean I think we can start torturing people.
I wasn't trying to.

In which case I would expect us to agree that when you argue, say, that it's not ungrateful to complain and consider oneself oppressed when one only gets 18 years of free education and a bunch of extremely favourable credit for further education because education is a 'human right', you're rather missing the point.
Reply 96
It's all idiotic. Most people don't pay back their loan so "9k a year" means diddly squat to them.
+ 97% of the people in the survey said they would still go to uni if they could make the same choice again.
The problem is is with the high flyers who leave uni and pay £60k for a 3 year course (real terms after interest), effectively subsidising people who shouldn't be going to university.
In which case I would expect us to agree that when you argue, say, that it's not ungrateful to complain and consider oneself oppressed when one only gets 18 years of free education and a bunch of extremely favourable credit for further education because education is a 'human right', you're rather missing the point.

sheesh, are you following me around? :tongue:

I agree in a sense. it's nothing like being say tortured. But you can still complain about it.

But you don';t have to be grateful about having human rights. They are not a privileged bestowed on you from above, rather something people fought for and won meaning that you are entitled to just for being a human being. I agree however that free uni education does not come under that. HOWEVER. In the uni fees debate the person was auguring with brought up lower state education, like you are lucky to have that as it is stop complaining, well access to education up to 18 is verging on human rights territory. You are not lucky to have access to free state schools. They are your right.
(edited 8 years ago)
sheesh, are you following me around? :tongue:

I agree in a sense. it's nothing like being say tortured. But you can still complain about it.

But you don';t have to be grateful about having human rights. They are not a privileged bestowed on you from above, rather something people fought for and won meaning that you are entitled to just for being a human being. I agree however that free uni education does not come under that. HOWEVER. In the uni fees debate the person was auguring with brought up lower state education, like you are lucky to have that as it is stop complaining, well access to education up to 18 is verging on human rights territory. You are not lucky to have access to free state schools. They are your right.

lol I'm maybe 70% sure that that conversation was in this very thread and between the two of us

I don't consider it a privilege in the sense that, if it were taken away, we should be okay with it. I would guess that it's fairly uncontroversial that we shouldn't. But I think at least the fact that we've had education up to 18 at the taxpayer's expense, that is funded by other people's earnings, provides important context for the claim that it's wrong to require graduates to make some limited future contribution to their own higher education. If I am an 18 year old complaining that I am being hard done by because others won't pay in full for my degree, it's important to note that I've spent all my life up until that point in education that others did pay for in full. Taking account of that context I think complaining about the loan system starts to look petulant and ungrateful.
Original post by JayReg
It's all idiotic. Most people don't pay back their loan so "9k a year" means diddly squat to them.

So its an aspiration tax :eek3:

Chaotic Butterfly: Champion of the social climbers and Middle class. Unlike those feckless Tories.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending