The Student Room Group

Law through clearing

I know there are a couple threads about this but I was wondering whether it would be possible to get into a law degree through clearing at a top uni if I came out with say A*A*A to A*AB. If so does anyone know what unis were in clearing last year for law? If not or would you say it would be better off reapplying or keep my offer for economics and politics at lse and do a conversion? Thanks in advance....
Reply 1
Original post by fraddie96
I know there are a couple threads about this but I was wondering whether it would be possible to get into a law degree through clearing at a top uni if I came out with say A*A*A to A*AB. If so does anyone know what unis were in clearing last year for law? If not or would you say it would be better off reapplying or keep my offer for economics and politics at lse and do a conversion? Thanks in advance....
If you end up with grades that exceed your LSE offer, you can always apply for law through UCAS - Adjustment, but it's impossible to say which top-ranked unis would be offering places that way. The Clearing lists for last year have been taken down now - but in any case last year is rarely a guide to this year. All sorts of things can affect whether a uni is offering Clearing places or not.

On the issue of whether you should stick with what you have and do a conversion course - my advice, for what it is worth, is that as the number of law graduates greatly exceeds the number of training contracts available, you may be much better off with the LSE option and seeing how things are in three years' time. With an LSE degree you are likely to be in a stronger position to get a training contract including the conversion course, and of course if you were to change your mind it won't matter.
Reply 2
Original post by Minerva
If you end up with grades that exceed your LSE offer, you can always apply for law through UCAS - Adjustment, but it's impossible to say which top-ranked unis would be offering places that way. The Clearing lists for last year have been taken down now - but in any case last year is rarely a guide to this year. All sorts of things can affect whether a uni is offering Clearing places or not.

On the issue of whether you should stick with what you have and do a conversion course - my advice, for what it is worth, is that as the number of law graduates greatly exceeds the number of training contracts available, you may be much better off with the LSE option and seeing how things are in three years' time. With an LSE degree you are likely to be in a stronger position to get a training contract including the conversion course, and of course if you were to change your mind it won't matter.

Ok thanks for the reply, I'll probably stick with your advice and do the degree at LSE and way up my options at the end of the degree. Would you happen to know what uni's are normally in clearing for things like law or economics or is it completely random year on year?
Reply 3
Original post by fraddie96
Ok thanks for the reply, I'll probably stick with your advice and do the degree at LSE and way up my options at the end of the degree. Would you happen to know what uni's are normally in clearing for things like law or economics or is it completely random year on year?
it varies from year to year - but both courses are very competitive at the higher ranked unis so unlikely to have places to offer to Clearing applicants. Adjustment is a possibility because those places aren't advertised, so if a uni is contacted by a stellar applicant the removal of student number controls means that they can decide to offer a place after all. For the same reason, it is also true that a uni can offer a Clearing place even if they haven't advertised vacancies - in this case the Clearing option is simply the mechanism that allows the uni, if they wish, to take an applicant who contacts them on the off-chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending