The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

BA Japanese Textbooks

Hello,
I have a conditional offer for BA Japanese starting this year. I don't think that an official reading list has been released yet, but is there anyone already studying Japanese at SOAS who could give me some ideas as to which textbooks I'm likely to need? I get the impression, although no one has told me explicitly, that first years start with the Minna no Nihongo series? I'm guessing that the reading list doesn't change too much on a yearly basis.
Original post by Zhar_Ptitsa
Hello,
I have a conditional offer for BA Japanese starting this year. I don't think that an official reading list has been released yet, but is there anyone already studying Japanese at SOAS who could give me some ideas as to which textbooks I'm likely to need? I get the impression, although no one has told me explicitly, that first years start with the Minna no Nihongo series? I'm guessing that the reading list doesn't change too much on a yearly basis.

We use the minna no nihongo textbooks in year one. but wait to buy them cause they give out vouchers to get them cheaper when you start the course.

Also theres a book called 'Japan to 1600' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Japan-1600-Social-Economic-History/dp/0824833791/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435009746&sr=8-1&keywords=japan+to+1600

They use Japan to 1600 in 'Aspects of japanese culture 1' but again theres not much point in getting it before the course starts.

There are other books to read such as Donald Keene's anthology of japanese literature etc. but these aren't required and won't really help in the course but if you wanna do some extra reading its worth looking into.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by Squaresquirrel
We use the minna no nihongo textbooks in year one. but wait to buy them cause they give out vouchers to get them cheaper when you start the course.

Also theres a book called 'Japan to 1600' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Japan-1600-Social-Economic-History/dp/0824833791/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435009746&sr=8-1&keywords=japan+to+1600

They use Japan to 1600 in 'Aspects of japanese culture 1' but again theres not much point in getting it before the course starts.

There are other books to read such as Donald Keene's anthology of japanese literature etc. but these aren't required and won't really help in the course but if you wanna do some extra reading its worth looking into.

Ah, thanks. I was thinking of starting to pick some books up now to spread the cost out a little. It's a relief to hear that the Minna no Nihongo textbooks are subsidized though. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending