The Student Room Group

Fast track A Levels

Hi,

I've decided to study Sociology and Psychology at A Level in one-year. I work full time and this is purely because I am interested in these subjects. Does anyone have any tips or useful resources, please? I'll be teaching myself from various text books. Thank you.
Which exam board are you doing?
If you're doing AQA for Sociology, I exclusively learnt the textbook and did a bit of back ground reading and it taught me everything. One useful tip is to stay up to date with the news as it provides useful examples for essays
Reply 2
Original post by GemmaConlin
Which exam board are you doing?
If you're doing AQA for Sociology, I exclusively learnt the textbook and did a bit of back ground reading and it taught me everything. One useful tip is to stay up to date with the news as it provides useful examples for essays

Hi, AQA for both subjects. Thank you. Have you completed your studies? Did you study in one year?
Original post by TuxKitty
Hi, AQA for both subjects. Thank you. Have you completed your studies? Did you study in one year?

I finished a year ago, I did A Levels over 2 years. I think it is quite do able in Sociology though as so much links together, good luck with it!
Reply 4
Thank you. I hope things are going well for you post A Levels.
Seems like a waste of time to be honest, if you're interested in the subject you should just do your own independent research
AQA Psychology is quite demanding in terms of how much you have to remember. The AS units are quite straight forward as the questions are broken down. However, the A2 units involve fairly long essays and A LOT of information to learn. For both A2 units I had to learn around 30 essays - each around 750 words long.
Reply 7
My initial post simply asked for tips and useful resources. I didn't ask for comments about whether it would be a 'waste of time' or about the amount to learn.
Thank you. I hope things are going well for you post A Levels.

Thanks they are. If you ever want any help or to see any revision notes, just PM me. I also remembered a good book to read (if you haven't already since you're interested in the area) is Chavs: The Demonised Working Class by Owen Jones, it's really good on explaining class divide and can often be used to back up Marxist critiques.
Reply 9
I might just do that and thanks also for the recommendation. I'll pop to Waterstones tomorrow.
My initial post simply asked for tips and useful resources. I didn't ask for comments about whether it would be a 'waste of time' or about the amount to learn.

It was advice based on your situation, no need to sound rude.
It will be difficult to balance the work load of preparing for eight exams alongside a full time job; don't commit yourself if it is something you may struggle with. It is also fairly difficult to source relevant information for essays - it is fairly time consuming.
Are you doing a full time job? if it was part time. thats okay.You had better start this summer,actually right now.Get off TSR
I might just do that and thanks also for the recommendation. I'll pop to Waterstones tomorrow.

It'll probably be in the library, I know it's quite expensive (I think it was £15 when i bought it). Also looking back through my notes other good authors are Chomsky (links to media, research methods as a critique and crime and deviance) and Foucault (basically everything as he's the postmodernist critique).
Reply 13
Original post by prophetkid
It was advice based on your situation, no need to sound rude.
It will be difficult to balance the work load of preparing for eight exams alongside a full time job; don't commit yourself if it is something you may struggle with. It is also fairly difficult to source relevant information for essays - it is fairly time consuming.

Please don't contact me again.
Please don't contact me again.

I don't understand. I was giving you advice.

Quick Reply

Latest