Away with ye'! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
To d and or whoever has any power on this forum

Is there any way you can stop a specific unregistered user from posting on this site?

I suppose that there is very little you can do, apart from enforcing registration which I know was tried and failed...

I am asking because a certain 'unregistere' seems to find it satisying to continually post irrelivant and sometimes offensive posts that are beggining to irritate and annoy many members..

I am aware that the person may be spurred on further by this post however I felt it was prudent to ask

Thanks (for reading and for the excellent forum)

Egan
Koloth
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Originally posted by Egan1

Is there any way you can stop a specific unregistered user from posting on this site?

I suppose that there is very little you can do, apart from enforcing registration which I know was tried and failed...

I am asking because a certain 'unregistere' seems to find it satisying to continually post irrelivant and sometimes offensive posts that are beggining to irritate and annoy many members..

I am aware that the person may be spurred on further by this post however I felt it was prudent to ask

Egan
I am a moderator of the forum and d is a admin. I have private messaged d about this. He may have a solution to the problem.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Egan
Blocking the user's IP if they are on a static IP address should work. If they are on a dynamically-allocated IP address from a dial-up ISP or such like, the only option may be to ban that ISP's whole IP block. Obviously this would have two disadvantages; other users on this dial-up ISP would be blocked and it would not stop the banned user from using another ISP to post (although this would probably be quite inconvenient for them).

Other than this, I know of no way to stop a specific unregistered user from posting.

Regards,
bloodhound
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if you have a log of user logging on and logging off, u can cross reference the timing of the messages. ie which user logged off before the unregistered message came up . if its happening more than the laws of probability should allow, its possible to pinpoint the indentity of the user
Egan1
Rep:
?
Originally posted by rahaydenuk
Blocking the user's IP if they are on a static IP address should work. If they are on a dynamically-allocated IP address from a dial-up ISP or such like, the only option may be to ban that ISP's whole IP block. Obviously this would have two disadvantages; other users on this dial-up ISP would be blocked and it would not stop the banned user from using another ISP to post (although this would probably be quite inconvenient for them).
ahhh *sigh*...if only I was able to understand even half a sentence of your suggestion...tis so good to have knowledgable computer aids on hand at all times...

I havn't seen any unwanted posts for a few days so can I assume that mr unfounded-statistics is hense forth blocked?
Nylex
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
ahhh *sigh*...if only I was able to understand even half a sentence of your suggestion...tis so good to have knowledgable computer aids on hand at all times...

I havn't seen any unwanted posts for a few days so can I assume that mr unfounded-statistics is hense forth blocked?
Your IP address is a number that identifies your computer on the Internet, something like 212.23.15.176. Typically, people who connect to the Internet via dial-up (ie. a 56k modem) have a different IP address every time they connect. Therefore, if someone with a dial-up connection was abusing the forum, it wouldn't really help to ban their IP because all they would need to do is reconnect and then they'd be able to post again. People who have ADSL/Cable connections (broadband) normally have what is called a static IP address. This means their IP doesn't change, it's the same whenever they connect. So, it would be possible to ban such a person from the forums. Hope that makes it clearer..
Egan1
Rep:
?
ta very much!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1170)
79.38%
Leave (304)
20.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed