Bezopachnye
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone.

I've just had some news that one of my housemates didn't manage to get the mark needed to progress on to the final year of their Masters course. Me and my other housemate don't know what to do about accommodation.

To elaborate a bit, the three of us (myself and my two housemates) signed a joint tenancy agreement in November to move into a rented house this coming September. My other two housemates were both planning on doing additional Masters years, which relied on getting a certain mark in order to progress to. While one of my housemates has passed on to the fourth year, the other unfortunately didn't and will likely just graduate with a BSc this July.

So I guess what I'm asking is what does this mean for the tenancy agreement? Is this now void? Will we have to find a replacement housemate?

I read somewhere that student finance provides funding for one additional year in case of any unexpected circumstances. If this is true, would the housemate who failed to progress still be able to meet their rent costs?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bezopachnye)
Hi everyone.

I've just had some news that one of my housemates didn't manage to get the mark needed to progress on to the final year of their Masters course. Me and my other housemate don't know what to do about accommodation.

To elaborate a bit, the three of us (myself and my two housemates) signed a joint tenancy agreement in November to move into a rented house this coming September. My other two housemates were both planning on doing additional Masters years, which relied on getting a certain mark in order to progress to. While one of my housemates has passed on to the fourth year, the other unfortunately didn't and will likely just graduate with a BSc this July.

So I guess what I'm asking is what does this mean for the tenancy agreement? Is this now void? Will we have to find a replacement housemate?

I read somewhere that student finance provides funding for one additional year in case of any unexpected circumstances. If this is true, would the housemate who failed to progress still be able to meet their rent costs?
it will either be a case of you find a replacement or cover the loss of rent that having only 2 of you comes to.
Bezopachnye
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
it will either be a case of you find a replacement or cover the loss of rent that having only 2 of you comes to.
Based on the amount of student finance we get, I think trying to cover the shortfall in rent between us would be a bit of a stretch since we'd have no money left over for the food or utilities.

It's looking likely that we will be able to find a replacement, my other housemate is talking it over with one of his friends now.

If that falls through though, where do you think would be a good place to look for other potential tenants? I was thinking along the lines of either spareroom.co.uk, posting on one of the Uni facebook pages or maybe posting a flyer on one of the noticeboards. I don't know if the letting agency helps resolve these kinds of issues, but maybe contacting them could be a viable route as well.

Thanks for the reply by the way.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Based on the amount of student finance we get, I think trying to cover the shortfall in rent between us would be a bit of a stretch since we'd have no money left over for the food or utilities.

It's looking likely that we will be able to find a replacement, my other housemate is talking it over with one of his friends now.

If that falls through though, where do you think would be a good place to look for other potential tenants? I was thinking along the lines of either spareroom.co.uk, posting on one of the Uni facebook pages or maybe posting a flyer on one of the noticeboards. I don't know if the letting agency helps resolve these kinds of issues, but maybe contacting them could be a viable route as well.

Thanks for the reply by the way.
all your suggestions of looking for tenants are what i would have said really, theres also accomodation for students.com i ve seen people advertise on there so could be worth a try.

good luck finding your replacement, its still early so i recon you ll be okay, could always find a first year in clearing
Bezopachnye
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
all your suggestions of looking for tenants are what i would have said really, theres also accomodation for students.com i ve seen people advertise on there so could be worth a try.

good luck finding your replacement, its still early so i recon you ll be okay, could always find a first year in clearing
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that one. I never considered first years in clearing either. Thanks a lot, I'll see what I can do
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone.

the tenancy agreement is definintley not void, your housemate still remains liable for the rent whether a student or not. If the landlord can't get rent off them and or their guarantor they will chase after the rest of you for the rent as you are all jointly liable. If your housemate doesn't want to or can't afford to stay then yes advertising for a replacement tenant is the best move, other than where you've said, your university may have its own exclusive online housing website (at mine its called homerun). It's also worth getting in touch with the accomodation office because if someone comes to them saying they need somewhere for next year they can put you in touch.
Student finance only provides one extra year of funding for someone who is actually studying should they need to retake a year or choose to start a new course.
Bezopachnye
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
the tenancy agreement is definintley not void, your housemate still remains liable for the rent whether a student or not. If the landlord can't get rent off them and or their guarantor they will chase after the rest of you for the rent as you are all jointly liable. If your housemate doesn't want to or can't afford to stay then yes advertising for a replacement tenant is the best move, other than where you've said, your university may have its own exclusive online housing website (at mine its called homerun). It's also worth getting in touch with the accomodation office because if someone comes to them saying they need somewhere for next year they can put you in touch.
Student finance only provides one extra year of funding for someone who is actually studying should they need to retake a year or choose to start a new course.
Thanks for the reply. That sounds particularly worrying since I can't imagine they're gonna be able gather the funding for rent costs without student finance, which looks like it's gonna be impossible. Plus me and my other housemate would likely struggle to cover the rent shortfall.

Like I said to claireestelle, it's looking likely that we should be able to get a replacement housemate, though of course there's always the chance that everything falls through. I hadn't thought about the accommodation office so that's a good call. I think I should know what the situation is better by the end of the week: a prospective housemate wants to look at the house tomorrow.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the reply. That sounds particularly worrying since I can't imagine they're gonna be able gather the funding for rent costs without student finance, which looks like it's gonna be impossible. Plus me and my other housemate would likely struggle to cover the rent shortfall.

Like I said to claireestelle, it's looking likely that we should be able to get a replacement housemate, though of course there's always the chance that everything falls through. I hadn't thought about the accommodation office so that's a good call. I think I should know what the situation is better by the end of the week: a prospective housemate wants to look at the house tomorrow.
From a landlords perspective if students didn't have to pay rent if they dropped out or failed then it would be too risky for them to rent a house to students! And from student finance perspective if someone is no longer a student they can claim benefits or get a job! I do know of cases where someone has just said on in the house and worked to pay the rent. Either way I hope you get things sorted out- it sounds like you are on the right track if you already have a viewer.
username457532
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
From a landlords perspective if students didn't have to pay rent if they dropped out or failed then it would be too risky for them to rent a house to students! And from student finance perspective if someone is no longer a student they can claim benefits or get a job! I do know of cases where someone has just said on in the house and worked to pay the rent. Either way I hope you get things sorted out- it sounds like you are on the right track if you already have a viewer.
This is what I was thinking.

Also, make sure if you've find someone you go to your letting agency and they will change the name on the tenancy agreement and stuff. If not you could be in deep ****.
Bezopachnye
Rep:
?
I can definitely see why, wouldn't be a good investment otherwise! I'll have to see what the housemate can do in terms of helping towards the rent. Thank you!

Unfortunately it seems as though we've hit another hurdle. The viewer was initially going to be graduating this year, but was offered the opportunity to move on to the masters course because of good grades. While they seem enthusiastic about moving in, they're not sure if they can get the funding for the Masters year. I don't know whether it's because this particular Masters course is postgraduate, or if it is just because they are switching over to the undergraduate Masters course late. The details are a bit foggy, but they said that they have the uni trying to help them as well.
Bezopachnye
Rep:
?
(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
This is what I was thinking.

Also, make sure if you've find someone you go to your letting agency and they will change the name on the tenancy agreement and stuff. If not you could be in deep ****.
Yeah no worries there, that would be one of the first things we'd do with a replacement tenant.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can definitely see why, wouldn't be a good investment otherwise! I'll have to see what the housemate can do in terms of helping towards the rent. Thank you!

Unfortunately it seems as though we've hit another hurdle. The viewer was initially going to be graduating this year, but was offered the opportunity to move on to the masters course because of good grades. While they seem enthusiastic about moving in, they're not sure if they can get the funding for the Masters year. I don't know whether it's because this particular Masters course is postgraduate, or if it is just because they are switching over to the undergraduate Masters course late. The details are a bit foggy, but they said that they have the uni trying to help them as well.
You are going to have to be firm with them and say they have to be certain about how they are going to pay the rent before they sign- remember if they aren't able to move in you will still find someone else.
A5ko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you got any mates from Newcastle? You could have a Big Brother style eviction with voice over.
sheby121
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone.

We had a similar issue, me and my room mate put up an ad on pads for students.co.uk, and surprisingly, we found a roommate on there!
Bezopachnye
Rep:
?
You are going to have to be firm with them and say they have to be certain about how they are going to pay the rent before they sign- remember if they aren't able to move in you will still find someone else.
Yup that's a definite, funding comes first.
Bezopachnye
Rep:
?
(Original post by sheby121)
We had a similar issue, me and my room mate put up an ad on pads for students.co.uk, and surprisingly, we found a roommate on there!
That's good I went on that website though and it seems to just be a blog. Plus none of the pages seem to load.
Bezopachnye
Rep:
?
(Original post by A5ko)
Have you got any mates from Newcastle? You could have a Big Brother style eviction with voice over.
Haha sadly no, that would have been amazing!
Roving Fish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmm,

The rules around this are a little grey as usually in the terms & conditions it says that the tenant must be a student. What happens if you're not a student?

When I transferred unis, I found someone to replace me but had a war with the landlord on my deposit (which I got back and had the support of my uni's lawyer).

Have you tried contacting your SU for advice?

username457532
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Roving Fish)
Hmm,

The rules around this are a little grey as usually in the terms & conditions it says that the tenant must be a student. What happens if you're not a student?

When I transferred unis, I found someone to replace me but had a war with the landlord on my deposit (which I got back and had the support of my uni's lawyer).

Have you tried contacting your SU for advice?

I've never had a tenancy that said all tenants must be students. The only issues with non-students is they would be liable for council tax.
sheby121
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's good I went on that website though and it seems to just be a blog. Plus none of the pages seem to load.
You just go over to the housemates section, and a variety of people looking for room mates come up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (11)
18.33%
No one else does (22)
36.67%
I'm embarrassed about my background (8)
13.33%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (15)
25%
We don't use a video platform (2)
3.33%
I don't have a camera (1)
1.67%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.67%

Watched Threads