The Student Room Group

WJEC S3 22nd June 2015

Couldn't find a thread for this, but in general was just wondering how did everyone find this paper? Thought it was really good, but couldn't find a,b,c,d at the end however showed loads of working for finding E(X) and E(X)^2 so hopefully should garner some method marks.

Scroll to see replies

Was a really nice paper!

Unbiased estimators was nice, you had to just get E(U) out and compare coefficients, got a=-0.1 and b=0.4

c = -1/6n, d=1/6

It's so satisfying getting the QED at the end right because you know the parts before all worked out.

Sitting it after M3 however, although nice to end exams on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Compare coefficients, didn't even think of that lol. Oh well, showed lots of working so hopefully will be ok. Also sat the m2 paper today. Question 4 was totally off but the rest was pretty fine. Especially the last question
Original post by AustrailianKoala
Compare coefficients, didn't even think of that lol. Oh well, showed lots of working so hopefully will be ok. Also sat the m2 paper today. Question 4 was totally off but the rest was pretty fine. Especially the last question
M3 I mean

Yeah should be fine!

Last question was very nice.

Impulse was newer

But yes, that SHM proof, I thought I'd forgotten something major, but I got it all out in the end.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah should be fine!

Last question was very nice.

Impulse was newer

But yes, that SHM proof, I thought I'd forgotten something major, but I got it all out in the end.

The impulse question was a little different. Was confused about what angle you had to resolve to find the velocity of A. The diagram didn't help much. Was the angle 60 degrees supposed to be the angle that velocity of a moves out or was that 30?
The impulse question was a little different. Was confused about what angle you had to resolve to find the velocity of A. The diagram didn't help much. Was the angle 60 degrees supposed to be the angle that velocity of a moves out or was that 30?

A moved off at 30 degrees

B there was a 30 degrees as well, when resolving Perp and in direction of string
Hmm, that is different from their usual questions. Never mind, m2 and s2 went really well so I'm hoping they'll help add to the 270 ums overall for the A*. And FP2 was decent. Just have to wait till results day now.
Hmm, that is different from their usual questions. Never mind, m2 and s2 went really well so I'm hoping they'll help add to the 270 ums overall for the A*. And FP2 was decent. Just have to wait till results day now.

Grade boundaries will be low!

Yeah, not long... Couple months. Tbh I think they went well enough, and I'm sure you'll be fine, so not gonna think about results day now

Hope it works out
Thank you, and yeah hope it all somehow adds up to 270. Only worried cause not a lot of people are with wjec. But grade boundaries were decent last year so should hopefully be this year aswell. Good luck to you too, I hope you get all the grades you want/need.
Reply 10
I thought S3 was a very straightforward paper. I suppose the unbiased estimators would be the trickiest part but then again you knew if you had it right. Expecting raw and UMS to match up.
someone just told me that in the sampling question the probabilities werent supposed to add to 1 as you only had to included options that came in ascending order. Im sure this is wrong as generallyi found the paper ok and i was happy with my method! What did u guys get?
Original post by Jellyfish96
someone just told me that in the sampling question the probabilities werent supposed to add to 1 as you only had to included options that came in ascending order. Im sure this is wrong as generallyi found the paper ok and i was happy with my method! What did u guys get?

Lol no way, it just meant of the three that were picked, x1,x2 and x3 were just in a ascending order

Mine added to 1 for sure
Lol no way, it just meant of the three that were picked, x1,x2 and x3 were just in a ascending order

Mine added to 1 for sure

Same as i said i was happy with that exam so it should be all goood! :smile: do you have fp3 tommorow?
Reply 14
I am predicting FP3 to be horrible tomorrow! :frown:
Original post by Lunox
I am predicting FP3 to be horrible tomorrow! :frown:

haha FP3 will defo be lol :frown: do u need maths for your offers?
Same as i said i was happy with that exam so it should be all goood! :smile: do you have fp3 tommorow?

Nope, had to do M3 as well

Wanted to swap S3 for fP3 but I guess it was just an easy A* module
Nope, had to do M3 as well

Wanted to swap S3 for fP3 but I guess it was just an easy A* module

Nice what grade do u need?
Nice what grade do u need?

Offer is A*A*A in any of FM, Physics and chem

So hoping A* will be in fm
Offer is A*A*A in any of FM, Physics and chem