A couple of questions about uni life

Watch this thread
ryanroks1
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm hoping to go to uni next year and whilst I'm fairly relaxed about it, I have a couple of worries and questions about general uni life.

1) How much knowledge does the average person have of the area when they arrive at uni? There'll be so much to figure out - local shopping centres, GPs, taxi companies etc, and I just feel like I'll end up getting lost constantly, even if I do extensive research beforehand.

2) I'm guessing most people will go out a lot during freshers - does this tend to be with flatmates initially? Obviously there'll not be a strong bond in the first few days and people will be splitting up to talk to everyone else, and I'm worried I'll end up losing the people I go out with and then I'll have to find my own way back to the halls. Once I learn the way around, this'll not be too bad, but when I first arrive I'll have no clue what to do, and I don't fancy paying for a taxi alone!

3) On campus-based unis, do people tend to just use the bars around there during freshers, or venture out into the city?

Thanks.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ryanroks1)
I'm hoping to go to uni next year and whilst I'm fairly relaxed about it, I have a couple of worries and questions about general uni life.

1) How much knowledge does the average person have of the area when they arrive at uni? There'll be so much to figure out - local shopping centres, GPs, taxi companies etc, and I just feel like I'll end up getting lost constantly, even if I do extensive research beforehand.

2) I'm guessing most people will go out a lot during freshers - does this tend to be with flatmates initially? Obviously there'll not be a strong bond in the first few days and people will be splitting up to talk to everyone else, and I'm worried I'll end up losing the people I go out with and then I'll have to find my own way back to the halls. Once I learn the way around, this'll not be too bad, but when I first arrive I'll have no clue what to do, and I don't fancy paying for a taxi alone!

3) On campus-based unis, do people tend to just use the bars around there during freshers, or venture out into the city?

Thanks.
1) I did none before moving, and my sense of direction is horrendous, google map was my best friend for a while:P
2) All depends but if you get along with your flatmates thats likely.
3) my cities not massive so people go to both but the campus is in a great location so you can walk to the clubs.
midgemeister7
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Thanks.
that first question ffs lol
RoundTrip
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
1. Average person has no knowledge of the area. You pick it up quickly enough. I took my car and just google mapped things like free parking and shops and stuff.

2. You will be stuck with your flatmates for freshers. I only got on with one of mine and actually genuinely hated my other flatmates. After a week I found other friends who lived in other flats in my hall and I'm now moving in with them next semester.

3. Mine isn't campus based so everyone predrinks at home then buses it into town. I think for campus based unis people will pre, then drink in the uni bar before going town. Thats how it was for 2 of my ex's anyway.
JackBlack
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Thanks.
These are things nearly every fresher worries about! I've just finished my first year and I worried so much but it all worked out fine.

1) Getting lost was a main concern of mine because i'd never even visited the city before moving there. I made sure I did online research of the area around the university but I recommend also using a device that has google maps on it - I found that SO helpful for telling me how to get places and where places were.
Also if you move in before a few weeks before uni starts, you have a chance to settle in. You could ask your flatmates if they want to go explore the area with you a bit. That way you get to know them more AND the area.

2) As freshers, most people are keen to make new friends so a lot of flatmates go out together and stay together, at least in the first week or so. Exchange numbers before you start drinking , just so if you do get lost you can all find each other again. I'm sure the others will appreciate the cheaper taxis too.

3) I think it's a bit of both really but most seem to enjoy the city. Though, I expect this differs at each uni.

I hope I helped a little bit . Feel free to ask any other questions.
JackBlack
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Thanks.
These are things nearly every fresher worries about! I've just finished my first year and I worried so much but it all worked out fine.

1) Getting lost was a main concern of mine because i'd never even visited the city before moving there. I made sure I did online research of the area around the university but I recommend also using a device that has google maps on it - I found that SO helpful for telling me how to get places and where places were.
Also if you move in before a few weeks before uni starts, you have a chance to settle in. You could ask your flatmates if they want to go explore the area with you a bit. That way you get to know them more AND the area. Don't be afraid to ask the locals either! I was lucky enough to meet a few students in the first week who were local, and they know all the best bars and clubs.

2) As freshers, most people are keen to make new friends so a lot of flatmates go out together and stay together, at least in the first week or so. Exchange numbers before you start drinking , just so if you do get lost you can all find each other again. I'm sure the others will appreciate the cheaper taxis too.

3) I think it's a bit of both really but most seem to enjoy the city. Though, I expect this differs at each uni.

I hope I helped a little bit . Feel free to ask any other questions.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
1. Beyond a quick google and the campus map, most people won't have any idea, however there will be a handful who've lived in the area or visited friends there who know a little more.

2. Most people will stick with flatmates or people who they meet in their halls, in case of losing everyone make sure you have people's numbers on your phone.

3. Again most people will venture out into the city, campus unis will usually only have enough bar/pub space for maybe a couple thousand people at most and seeing as there will be ten thousands or so people wanting to get in on freshers week there will be more than a few going into the city.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Thanks.
1) Not a lot. I had a few trips into town in the daytime during freshers with my flatmates which helped.
2) In my experience yes because people don't know anyone else to go out with. Sometimes lots of flats near each other go out together.
3) At mine the official freshers events were all (except one) at the club on campus so we mostly stuck to campus at night yes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (154)
29.5%
It went fairly well (246)
47.13%
It didn't go too well (79)
15.13%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.24%

Watched Threads