Susta1nz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was wondering if I am able to apply for two courses in one uni? I want to apply for both:

- Computer Science + Maths
- Dentistry

and I want to apply to unis such as Queen Mary University London and UCL and Oxbridge if possible.

I was wondering how the personal statement would work and if it's possible.

Thanks
Wahrheit
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You only get one personal statement but I did successfully apply to two different courses at UCL, though one of them was arts and sciences and for that they expect you to have a completely unrelated personal statement because it's a one of a kind course.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Susta1nz)
I was wondering if I am able to apply for two courses in one uni? I want to apply for both:

- Dentistry

and I want to apply to unis such as Queen Mary University London and UCL and Oxbridge if possible.

Thanks
Any ps not focused entirely on dentistry will get you discarded instantly. You can have a fifth, unrelated option if you are applying to dentistry (or medicine or vet med, for that matter) but it will have to go in without any reference to it in the ps or it will ruin your dentistry chances. You need to decide what you really want and focus on that, because not knowing the rules is very likely to end up with you getting nothing. Look in the dentistry forum for advice.
Susta1nz
Rep:
?
I really do want to study Computer Science and Mathematics I have decided. However, I have not got really much experience and want to go to the good unis for Comp Sci which are Oxbridge/Imperial etc, however will I still be allowed in if I have not got much to do with comp sci. I really do have a passion for it though and I am attending a workshop in UCL on Maths and Comp Sci.
driftawaay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I really do want to study Computer Science and Mathematics I have decided. However, I have not got really much experience and want to go to the good unis for Comp Sci which are Oxbridge/Imperial etc, however will I still be allowed in if I have not got much to do with comp sci. I really do have a passion for it though and I am attending a workshop in UCL on Maths and Comp Sci.
Maths and Comp Sci are academic, not 'vocational' so they don't expect you to have work experience or anything like that, you just need to show a passion for it in your PS and have the grades of course, attending workshops is a great way to show in your PS that you really do care about your subject for example.
Susta1nz
Rep:
?
(Original post by driftawaay)
Maths and Comp Sci are academic, not 'vocational' so they don't expect you to have work experience or anything like that, you just need to show a passion for it in your PS and have the grades of course, attending workshops is a great way to show in your PS that you really do care about your subject for example.
Ohh alright thank you.

Does anyone have any idea how I can go about applying to both then?
driftawaay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ohh alright thank you.

Does anyone have any idea how I can go about applying to both then?
You really cannot apply to both Dentistry and Maths and Comp Sci. Dentistry is extremely competitive and if admissions tutors see that you have a 'Plan B' so to speak, they won't let you in. Your PS is either all Dentistry or no Dentistry at all, there is no way around it.

The only way you could do it, is if you try applying for Dentistry next year and if you don't get in, reapply to Maths and Comp Sci the following year.
Susta1nz
Rep:
?
(Original post by driftawaay)
You really cannot apply to both Dentistry and Maths and Comp Sci. Dentistry is extremely competitive and if admissions tutors see that you have a 'Plan B' so to speak, they won't let you in. Your PS is either all Dentistry or no Dentistry at all, there is no way around it.

The only way you could do it, is if you try applying for Dentistry next year and if you don't get in, reapply to Maths and Comp Sci the following year.
Wait if I don't get in, then won't I have to go for clearing or something? I'm not really sure how it works but if I don't get in the courses I want or any uni I want then I heard I will have to go for clearing.

Or do you mean I'll have to wait a whole year to apply again?

I'd rather just go on and do Comp Sci + Maths then
driftawaay
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wait if I don't get in, then won't I have to go for clearing or something? I'm not really sure how it works but if I don't get in the courses I want or any uni I want then I heard I will have to go for clearing.

Or do you mean I'll have to wait a whole year to apply again?

I'd rather just go on and do Comp Sci + Maths then
You don't have to go into clearing, you can just accept the fact that you didn't get into any of your choices and reapply again next year to the same courses or new courses. You can go into clearing if you want to, but there are no Dentistry places in clearing! So if you applied for Dentistry and didn't get in, you would have to wait until next year to apply for Maths and Comp Sci.

The point is, if you are going to apply for Dentistry, you cannot apply for Maths and Comp Sci in the same year.

But if you are undecided between Dentistry vs Maths and Comp Sci then you are better off going with the latter. Dentistry requires a lot of dedication, and as you said you would just rather apply to Maths and Comp Sci in this case, so clearly you aren't set on Dentistry 100%. So you're better off just applying for Maths and Comp Sci imo. lol
charmelloux
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wahrheit)
You only get one personal statement but I did successfully apply to two different courses at UCL, though one of them was arts and sciences and for that they expect you to have a completely unrelated personal statement because it's a one of a kind course.
hey! mind sharing what courses did you apply to and which one did you choose ?
Igor_Sukhorukov
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

- Dentistry

Thanks
Hi!

You should also keep in mind that applying for two courses in the same uni is riskier! I assume you will have the same personal statement and if the admission will decide to reject you from one course, I don't see the reason why they would accept you in another.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (222)
60.82%
No (77)
21.1%
Not sure (66)
18.08%

Watched Threads