First Year, Second Year term thingy.. I don't understand

Watch
Fleuryette
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I don't know what it means by: "First year entry requirements, second year entry requirements" etc.. Is first year another way of saying "Foundation year"? Do you only do one/ two years? I'm incredibly confused, please help! I don't understand the difference. Thank you!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fleuryette)
I don't know what it means by: "First year entry requirements, second year entry requirements" etc.. Is first year another way of saying "Foundation year"? Do you only do one/ two years? I'm incredibly confused, please help! I don't understand the difference. Thank you!
Usually foundation year entry requirements would be referred to as exactly that:
foundation year entry requirements

Can you link to whee you've come across this wording? My guess is that it might be on a Scottish uni website?
Fleuryette
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can you link to whee you've come across this wording? My guess is that it might be on a Scottish uni website?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's from St. Andrew's: Entrance requirements for 2015-2016 First year entry SQA Highers AAAB GCE A-Levels AAB IB points 35 Subjects Chemistry Second year entry SQA Adv Highers AB GCE A-Levels AAA IB points 37
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fleuryette)

Yeah, it's from St. Andrew's: Entrance requirements for 2015-2016 First year entry SQA Highers AAAB GCE A-Levels AAB IB points 35 Subjects Chemistry Second year entry SQA Adv Highers AB GCE A-Levels AAA IB points 37
most English,Welsh and NI degrees are 3 years (some science/engineering/health courses are longer - so are languages or courses with a year abroad or in industry).
Scottish degrees are 4 years. They are designed so scottish students can eitger start in first year after highers (AS levels plus a bit) or in second year after advanced highers (A levels plus a bit). So they offer the same options to students from the rest of the UK. First year entry on a scottish degree isn't the same as a foundation year - you'll be expected to have a higher ability/knowledge than an English uni foundation year. The extra year is usually used to offer you more flexibility to study degree level topics beyond your chosen subject - the curriculum is broader rather than easier.

Personally I wouldn't recommend the second year entry route to anyone but the most driven aiming at a specific career path and in a hurry to get there. The extra year and the broader options from studying over 4 years are well worth it. Plus you are joining people who have already studied together for a year etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (286)
55.97%
I don't have everything I need (225)
44.03%

Watched Threads