Want to travel....but where? Watch

Rhyss01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm hoping to go to uni this year but I've had doubts whether I should take a gap year or not. If I did take a gap year I would definitely like to take a month or 2 traveling. I've seen tours on STA Travel such as discover Japan but I don't like the fact that you only spend 2-3 days in a city/town. I'm interested in places where there is a lot of culture and/or plenty of things to do but also have the budget under £3000-4000. I'd be great full for any ideas/advice or any stories going with a company

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
swagyolo420
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Serbia (dont watch hostel tho)

Posted from TSR Mobile
mjrd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rhyss01)
I'm hoping to go to uni this year but I've had doubts whether I should take a gap year or not. If I did take a gap year I would definitely like to take a month or 2 traveling. I've seen tours on STA Travel such as discover Japan but I don't like the fact that you only spend 2-3 days in a city/town. I'm interested in places where there is a lot of culture and/or plenty of things to do but also have the budget under £3000-4000. I'd be great full for any ideas/advice or any stories going with a company

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
On a budget and you want culture, you want Goa then!! Omg you cant spend cash there its so cheap! Great place to go.
swagyolo420
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mjrd)
On a budget and you want culture, you want Goa then!! Omg you cant spend cash there its so cheap! Great place to go.
No, serbia

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rhyss01
Rep:
?
(Original post by swagyolo420)
Serbia (dont watch hostel tho)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never been, what's there?
Rhyss01
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjrd)
Thanks, I've enever heard of the place I'm afraid haha, how would you compare it with another country?
mjrd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks, I've enever heard of the place I'm afraid haha, how would you compare it with another country?
Goa is great, part of india. Great beaches, great culture and cheap as hell. Most students go up north. Calangute is busy n bit of a ****hole but rest is great. Eating out is so cheap. Egypt does it for me as im a diver and i love archaeology but more expensive and not the usual student backpacking place but great culture and great history. Depends on what you like.
Conor1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would say Croatia, it's beautiful and everything is dead cheap. Or even the region of the Black Forest area of germany, Switzerland and Austria is well worth visiting 👍
schmuur
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
defo take a gap year!! I took 2 and am now going to uni feeling much more prepared and my mindset towards education is much healthier. You can do so much under your budget if you are prepare to work. I recommend this because it allows you to meet people of different cultures and experience their way of living. If you volunteer somewhere you can get free accommodation, sometimes with food too, and other benefits like free language classes. I volunteered in a nursery in France last year and for 20 hours a week of work got free accomodation (with free laundry usage and wifi), free meals on working days and 12 hours a week of intensive French classes. You can also do some kind of missionary work or a conservation project which costs around £1000 for 2 weeks or £2000-£3500 for 6 months to a year if you want to do longer. I also recommend this website
http://www.workaway.info/ which allows you to meet people that need help in their house or with their business, and in return they give you free accommodation and food. it costs £15 for a 2 year membership which is really nothing considering how much you would otherwise spend on accommodation. There is all sorts of work available, from child care/elderly care to house renovation to teaching English as a foreign language to working in a restaurant or hostel. This is probably my favourite website because it allows flexible travel dates and you have more choice over how long you want to stay, as opposed to fixed dates and time durations for volunteer projects. You can also visit several places and do a tour or a counrty/continent, going directly from one location to the next. If you are scared to do this alone you can also "buddy up" with someone hoping to travel to the same places then do the travel together. I spent 12 days doing house renovation in Germany at Easter and am going back to spend 5 weeks working on a farm this summer with another family.

You could even work abroad if you wanted. if you get a TEFL certificate you can teach English. Without a degree is a little limiting, but you can still go to Spain, South America, China or Africa (but it is often unpaid in Africa). You could teach a summer course (probably easier to get onto without a degree!) or stay for the academic year. And you don't even need to have knowledge of the language. You could equally become an Au-pair, as I am doing now. This too can be done over the summer or for a whole year. There are many different websites to search for Au-pairs, I used his one;
https://www.aupair-world.co.uk/. Au pairs are best paid in America, Switzerland and Austria- I believe. But in America you are expected to work much more hours than anywhere else.
Rhyss01
Rep:
?
(Original post by schmuur)
defo take a gap year!! I took 2 and am now going to uni feeling much more prepared and my mindset towards education is much healthier. You can do so much under your budget if you are prepare to work. I recommend this because it allows you to meet people of different cultures and experience their way of living. If you volunteer somewhere you can get free accommodation, sometimes with food too, and other benefits like free language classes. I volunteered in a nursery in France last year and for 20 hours a week of work got free accomodation (with free laundry usage and wifi), free meals on working days and 12 hours a week of intensive French classes. You can also do some kind of missionary work or a conservation project which costs around £1000 for 2 weeks or £2000-£3500 for 6 months to a year if you want to do longer. I also recommend this website
http://www.workaway.info/ which allows you to meet people that need help in their house or with their business, and in return they give you free accommodation and food. it costs £15 for a 2 year membership which is really nothing considering how much you would otherwise spend on accommodation. There is all sorts of work available, from child care/elderly care to house renovation to teaching English as a foreign language to working in a restaurant or hostel. This is probably my favourite website because it allows flexible travel dates and you have more choice over how long you want to stay, as opposed to fixed dates and time durations for volunteer projects. You can also visit several places and do a tour or a counrty/continent, going directly from one location to the next. If you are scared to do this alone you can also "buddy up" with someone hoping to travel to the same places then do the travel together. I spent 12 days doing house renovation in Germany at Easter and am going back to spend 5 weeks working on a farm this summer with another family.

You could even work abroad if you wanted. if you get a TEFL certificate you can teach English. Without a degree is a little limiting, but you can still go to Spain, South America, China or Africa (but it is often unpaid in Africa). You could teach a summer course (probably easier to get onto without a degree!) or stay for the academic year. And you don't even need to have knowledge of the language. You could equally become an Au-pair, as I am doing now. This too can be done over the summer or for a whole year. There are many different websites to search for Au-pairs, I used his one;
https://www.aupair-world.co.uk/. Au pairs are best paid in America, Switzerland and Austria- I believe. But in America you are expected to work much more hours than anywhere else.
Thanks, I was actually thinking of China, Japan, Thailand or any other countries where there is culture, small villages and massive cities (I love the cities). I am steering towards the gap year side but I want to stay over a month but not spend loads. Would it be possible to work somewhere only for a month and then travel around the country or are there other teaching areas other than English? Such as teach biology to kids or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rhyss01
Rep:
?
Thanks all for the replies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Et Tu, Brute?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks all for the replies

Posted from TSR Mobile
I highly recommend a gap year. I took one and it completely changed my outlook towards uni. But the following year I was having doubts about whether or not to go, in the end I went. But the doubts I had only worsened during the year and I didn't go back for year 2. Ended up taking another gap year. By the time I got to uni to study something I was more interested in I was a little older than the majority but not by much, but I was able to handle it much better than younger students. And I mean that in every sense.

On a budget, 100% recommend south east Asia. Flights are about 350-500 one way depending on how far in advance you book and when you get there you money goes much further than it would in Europe, Australia or the Americas. Only go to Australia/NZ if you plan on working, so ****ing expensive.

Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos are popular for young backpackers on gap years or summer breaks between uni semesters. So it will be easy to make friends out there but it is also easy enough to get into areas less touristy and thus more cultured. Especially in Cambodia and Laos.

Those are the 4 main SE Asian counties for backpackers. However if you are there long enough or want something slightly different, definitely check out Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. Though all of these countries have areas of high tourism eg Kota Kinabalu, Bali and Boracay respectively. Burma/Myanmar is relatively new to foreigners, thus relatively untouched compared to say Thailand. But you'd bump into other backpackers there I'm sure. Especially since top gear had their special episode there 2 years back.

Further east you go the less touristy it would get, for example if places such as East Timor are meant to be awesome but a lot of tourists will not bother with it due to it's location and accessibility (flights are more expensive). Then there's the south Pacific Islands which are supposed to be great.

Either way, I highly recommend the gap year. Especially since you have doubts about uni.

I was 22 when I started the course I'm currently on. I wasn't the only one. There will be just as many people over 18 than 18 year olds on your course most likely. So don't worry about being too 'old' by the time you get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rhyss01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
I highly recommend a gap year. I took one and it completely changed my outlook towards uni. But the following year I was having doubts about whether or not to go, in the end I went. But the doubts I had only worsened during the year and I didn't go back for year 2. Ended up taking another gap year. By the time I got to uni to study something I was more interested in I was a little older than the majority but not by much, but I was able to handle it much better than younger students. And I mean that in every sense.

On a budget, 100% recommend south east Asia. Flights are about 350-500 one way depending on how far in advance you book and when you get there you money goes much further than it would in Europe, Australia or the Americas. Only go to Australia/NZ if you plan on working, so ****ing expensive.

Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos are popular for young backpackers on gap years or summer breaks between uni semesters. So it will be easy to make friends out there but it is also easy enough to get into areas less touristy and thus more cultured. Especially in Cambodia and Laos.

Those are the 4 main SE Asian counties for backpackers. However if you are there long enough or want something slightly different, definitely check out Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. Though all of these countries have areas of high tourism eg Kota Kinabalu, Bali and Boracay respectively. Burma/Myanmar is relatively new to foreigners, thus relatively untouched compared to say Thailand. But you'd bump into other backpackers there I'm sure. Especially since top gear had their special episode there 2 years back.

Further east you go the less touristy it would get, for example if places such as East Timor are meant to be awesome but a lot of tourists will not bother with it due to it's location and accessibility (flights are more expensive). Then there's the south Pacific Islands which are supposed to be great.

Either way, I highly recommend the gap year. Especially since you have doubts about uni.

I was 22 when I started the course I'm currently on. I wasn't the only one. There will be just as many people over 18 than 18 year olds on your course most likely. So don't worry about being too 'old' by the time you get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, with Oz and NZ isn't it hard to get a job out there for a backpacker? I was looking at going with Bunac but for a gear they require you to have at least 5000 Aus dollars so it would be roughly £5000 (With the Bunac packages) before I even get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks, with Oz and NZ isn't it hard to get a job out there for a backpacker? I was looking at going with Bunac but for a gear they require you to have at least 5000 Aus dollars so it would be roughly £5000 (With the Bunac packages) before I even get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes and no. You should find a job with relative easy in the rural regions where you'll do some form of agricultural work. The pay is high for such jobs and not much to spend it on. So you save up money fairly quickly. I knew friends there when I went so I basically had a job as soon as I arrived so I can't say I have experience in finding work the standard way. But I did apply for a different job which I got easily. I didn't take it in the end though.

NZ I imagine would be harder though.

Don't bother with the likes of bunac. They are inessential middlemen and nothing more. Apply for the visa though the official government site and it will save you a whole bunch. Setting up bank accouts, getting medicare when you arrive etc is all fairly straightforward. Trust me, you will realise just what a waste of money bunac was when you get there. Made a similar mistake myself paying a company a bunch of money for my first trip, so I learned that the hard way.

Same goes for the likes of STA tours, they are massively overpriced. You can do the exact same thing yourself for a fraction of the cost. They are only good for looking at and getting some inspiration on what to do. Last thing you want as a traveller is to unnecessarily blow a massive portion of your budget for someone to set up a rigid itinerary foxr you. It is much better to just fly there and go with the flow. Obviously have a loose idea of things you absolutely want to see and do, but you definitely don't need to overpay a company to tell you what to do and when to do it.

By all means check those sites out for ideas and inspiration, I was looking at sta tours for SE Asia just last week myself actually. But I recommend you don't pay the extortionate prices to actually do them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rhyss01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
Yes and no. You should find a job with relative easy in the rural regions where you'll do some form of agricultural work. The pay is high for such jobs and not much to spend it on. So you save up money fairly quickly. I knew friends there when I went so I basically had a job as soon as I arrived so I can't say I have experience in finding work the standard way. But I did apply for a different job which I got easily. I didn't take it in the end though.

NZ I imagine would be harder though.

Don't bother with the likes of bunac. They are inessential middlemen and nothing more. Apply for the visa though the official government site and it will save you a whole bunch. Setting up bank accouts, getting medicare when you arrive etc is all fairly straightforward. Trust me, you will realise just what a waste of money bunac was when you get there. Made a similar mistake myself paying a company a bunch of money for my first trip, so I learned that the hard way.

Same goes for the likes of STA tours, they are massively overpriced. You can do the exact same thing yourself for a fraction of the cost. They are only good for looking at and getting some inspiration on what to do. Last thing you want as a traveller is to unnecessarily blow a massive portion of your budget for someone to set up a rigid itinerary foxr you. It is much better to just fly there and go with the flow. Obviously have a loose idea of things you absolutely want to see and do, but you definitely don't need to overpay a company to tell you what to do and when to do it.

By all means check those sites out for ideas and inspiration, I was looking at sta tours for SE Asia just last week myself actually. But I recommend you don't pay the extortionate prices to actually do them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
schmuur
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks, I was actually thinking of China, Japan, Thailand or any other countries where there is culture, small villages and massive cities (I love the cities). I am steering towards the gap year side but I want to stay over a month but not spend loads. Would it be possible to work somewhere only for a month and then travel around the country or are there other teaching areas other than English? Such as teach biology to kids or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
the link workaway that I sent you in the previous post will have opportunities in China/that area. I have just hadhad a look now and there is farming work, football coaching, volunteering in an inninn,building work. all you have to pay for is flights so it the length of time doesn't affect the cost. It only means that won't be earning from work you may otherwise be doing in England. workaway it is also very flexible, I was able to choose when I came/left but it on the hosts. For au pairing you generally need to be available the whole summer but get paid (less in china, but should be enough still to fund travel costs)
Rhyss01
Rep:
?
(Original post by schmuur)
the link workaway that I sent you in the previous post will have opportunities in China/that area. I have just hadhad a look now and there is farming work, football coaching, volunteering in an inninn,building work. all you have to pay for is flights so it the length of time doesn't affect the cost. It only means that won't be earning from work you may otherwise be doing in England. workaway it is also very flexible, I was able to choose when I came/left but it on the hosts. For au pairing you generally need to be available the whole summer but get paid (less in china, but should be enough still to fund travel costs)
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
lovelayne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey that nursery job sounds ideal, what are the details?
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lovelayne)
Hey that nursery job sounds ideal, what are the details?
This is an old thread, that user hasn't logged in for nearly three years.
Mike Freiha
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah serbia is nice
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.7%
No (215)
94.3%

Watched Threads