The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Sutton Trust Summer School July 2015

Scroll to see replies

I'm going tomorrow for the law, politics and international relations strand. I'm really looking forward to it, plus I already live in nottingham so it will take me 10 minutes to get there. The only problem is that I lost the piece of paper telling us when we have to be there and where. I know its the University Park campus but when do we actually have to be there? Is it 12:30? Thanks :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
You can register between 12:30-13:30 at derby hall (NG7 2QT). What course are you doing?
Original post by Alss
You can register between 12:30-13:30 at derby hall (NG7 2QT). What course are you doing?

Thank you! I'm doing the Politics course, you?
Reply 23
Original post by WoodChippings22
Thank you! I'm doing the
Politics course, you?

Im doing the chemistry course!
Original post by Alss
Im doing the chemistry course!

Nice, should be good fun, although I take it tomorrow is more of an introduction to what we are doing than getting into it.
Reply 25
Nice, should be good fun, although I take it tomorrow is more of an introduction to what we are doing than getting into it.

Theres a welcome talk first i think and then it will probably like a campus tour and getting to know everyone type of thing
Original post by Alss
Theres a welcome talk first i think and then it will probably like a campus tour and getting to know everyone type of thing

Sounds good, where are you travelling from?
Reply 27
Sounds good, where are you travelling from?

Rotherham, about 1 hour away. What about you?
Original post by Alss
Rotherham, about 1 hour away. What about you?

Nice, not too long to drive then. I live in Nottingham, I was just going to take a bus into the uni but mum and dad offered to give me a lift tomorrow.
Reply 29
Nice, not too long to drive then. I live in Nottingham, I was just going to take a bus into the uni but mum and dad offered to give me a lift tomorrow.
Oh cool! Whats nottingham like as a city?
Original post by Alss
Oh cool! Whats nottingham like as a city?

Well, I might be a tiny little bit bias but I think it is really good. Everyone likes to moan about the city in which they live but I genuinely really like this city. It's not overly expensive, the actual city centre is really compact so everything you want/ need is within a 5 minute walk at most (usually), or if it is further then the buses go literally everywhere, you will be able to find a bus for the place you want to be. For students the bus is cheaper which is good, and there are buses going from both Park campus and Jubilee campus straight into the city every 10 minutes, which is really good. There are lots of shops, bars and clubs around which try and attract students with many discounts, and they are very nice places (cookie shake is quite nice, by day it is a nice place to chill and get a milkshake, by night its a club selling £1 shots). There is a cinema in the centre of town, and 2 theatres (if you are into things like that). The universities are a little bit outside the city centre, but it takes almost no time to get into the city if you wanted to. I think it is a really friendly city, obviously as with every city there are places you want to avoid but in Nottingham those places are all outside of the city centre and not near the campuses really, I have never had a problem with idiots at night. There is also the capital FM arena where many bands come, early this year I saw slipknot, I have also seen iron maiden and metallica there, as well as paramore and others. I also saw russell howard there too and am going to go see michael mcintyre later this year, and the tickets aren't extremely expensive either. So yeah, my opinion of it is very good, and if you did come here I don't think it would take you long to get used to the city. Plus the main train station has just been refurbished so is nicer now and is a 5 minute walk from the city centre, so getting home when you want wont be an issue. Similarly there is a coach station where national express buses go frequently which is about a 4-5 minute walk again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Well, I might be a tiny little bit bias but I think it is really good. Everyone likes to moan about the city in which they live but I genuinely really like this city. It's not overly expensive, the actual city centre is really compact so everything you want/ need is within a 5 minute walk at most (usually), or if it is further then the buses go literally everywhere, you will be able to find a bus for the place you want to be. For students the bus is cheaper which is good, and there are buses going from both Park campus and Jubilee campus straight into the city every 10 minutes, which is really good. There are lots of shops, bars and clubs around which try and attract students with many discounts, and they are very nice places (cookie shake is quite nice, by day it is a nice place to chill and get a milkshake, by night its a club selling £1 shots). There is a cinema in the centre of town, and 2 theatres (if you are into things like that). The universities are a little bit outside the city centre, but it takes almost no time to get into the city if you wanted to. I think it is a really friendly city, obviously as with every city there are places you want to avoid but in Nottingham those places are all outside of the city centre and not near the campuses really, I have never had a problem with idiots at night. There is also the capital FM arena where many bands come, early this year I saw slipknot, I have also seen iron maiden and metallica there, as well as paramore and others. I also saw russell howard there too and am going to go see michael mcintyre later this year, and the tickets aren't extremely expensive either. So yeah, my opinion of it is very good, and if you did come here I don't think it would take you long to get used to the city. Plus the main train station has just been refurbished so is nicer now and is a 5 minute walk from the city centre, so getting home when you want wont be an issue. Similarly there is a coach station where national express buses go frequently which is about a 4-5 minute walk again.

I'm trying to decide between Nottingham and Sheffield. Sheffield is my closest city so im probably biased towards it aswell!
Original post by Alss
I'm trying to decide between Nottingham and Sheffield. Sheffield is my closest city so im probably biased towards it aswell!

Fair enough, I have never been to sheffield, but I have been to Newcastle and I really liked Newcastle too. The summer school will be good for you to see if you like the actual uni but unfortunately you wont get to see the city at all.
Reply 33
Fair enough, I have never been to sheffield, but I have been to Newcastle and I really liked Newcastle too. The summer school will be good for you to see if you like the actual uni but unfortunately you wont get to see the city at all.

Sheffield is a really great city! Especially for live music and nightlife. Theres a lot of indepent music venues aswell the academy and arena. I sae slipknot at the arena this january and it was really good!
Original post by Alss
Sheffield is a really great city! Especially for live music and nightlife. Theres a lot of indepent music venues aswell the academy and arena. I sae slipknot at the arena this january and it was really good!

In the sheffield arena? Was that one of their 1st dates, I know Nottingham was one of their last so I went late January. I thought it was brilliant, and Korn was really good considering I hadn't really listened to much of their stuff before I went. And I don't think I can get into sheffield so I didn't really think about going to visit, but someone who did go pretty much said what you did.
Reply 35
In the sheffield arena? Was that one of their 1st dates, I know Nottingham was one of their last so I went late January. I thought it was brilliant, and Korn was really good considering I hadn't really listened to much of their stuff before I went. And I don't think I can get into sheffield so I didn't really think about going to visit, but someone who did go pretty much said what you did.

It was their first uk date, they played dublin before. Im a big fan of korn and slipknot so it was like a dream come true!
Original post by Alss
It was their first uk date, they played dublin before. Im a big fan of korn and slipknot so it was like a dream come true!

Well, it's nice to talk to someone with my musical taste :wink: But I like most music, so I can get along with most people musically. And it was a dream come true, I never thought they would come to Nottingham in a million years but they did and it was one of the best nights ever. I went to see them at Sonisphere back in 2011 and saw the Big 4 too, Megadeth were the highlight of the Big 4 in my eyes, i had been waiting years to see them and so when the Big 4 came I couldn't believe it. Although that isn't strictly relevant to the open day tomorrow so I think I'll stop going on about it, haha
Reply 37
Well, it's nice to talk to someone with my musical taste :wink: But I like most music, so I can get along with most people musically. And it was a dream come true, I never thought they would come to Nottingham in a million years but they did and it was one of the best nights ever. I went to see them at Sonisphere back in 2011 and saw the Big 4 too, Megadeth were the highlight of the Big 4 in my eyes, i had been waiting years to see them and so when the Big 4 came I couldn't believe it. Although that isn't strictly relevant to the open day tomorrow so I think I'll stop going on about it, haha

What course are you thinking of applying for at univeristy?
Original post by Alss
What course are you thinking of applying for at univeristy?

At the University of Nottingham I want to apply for German and Politics BA because I really regret not learning another language now and I am interested in German due to family history and other things, and politics is just something I love so I want to go into it. Plus this year I found out I was no way near as mathsy or sciency as i thought i was :laugh: I took maths, physics, computing and politics for A level with the view of dropping politics, but at the end of year 12 politics is my best grade and physics is my worst. Other uni's I am looking to do politics at are newcastle, birmingham, leicester and i'll be putting coventry as my backup I think. What about you?
Reply 39
At the University of Nottingham I want to apply for German and Politics BA because I really regret not learning another language now and I am interested in German due to family history and other things, and politics is just something I love so I want to go into it. Plus this year I found out I was no way near as mathsy or sciency as i thought i was :laugh: I took maths, physics, computing and politics for A level with the view of dropping politics, but at the end of year 12 politics is my best grade and physics is my worst. Other uni's I am looking to do politics at are newcastle, birmingham, leicester and i'll be putting coventry as my backup I think. What about you?

I'm looking at chemistry hopefully with a year in industry! I'm looking at Sheffield,Nottingham and Birmingham i was pretty set on Warwick but i just didn't like the univeristy during the open day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending