The Student Room Group

University vs School Leaver Programme Dilemma

I'm currently on a school leaver programme at an investment bank, but hold offers to study mathematics/financial mathematics course.

I am currently in a middle office function, and have been so for around 20 months, and have gained quite significant experience. The school leaver programme will offer me the chance to study towards CIMA/ACCA sponsored fully by the bank.

On the other hand, I have obtained offers to study at the following universities:
University of Nottingham - Financial Mathematics
University of Exeter - Mathematics with Finance
University of Birmingham - Mathematics
Lancaster University - Financial Mathematics (with year in Industry)

I'd ideally like to try and make it into Front Office at some point (S&T, AM etc.), but am unsure what is the best route to take. Should I stay on the programme, or go to university?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by the_ravster
I'm currently on a school leaver programme at an investment bank, but hold offers to study mathematics/financial mathematics course.

I am currently in a middle office function, and have been so for around 20 months, and have gained quite significant experience. The school leaver programme will offer me the chance to study towards CIMA/ACCA sponsored fully by the bank.

On the other hand, I have obtained offers to study at the following universities:
University of Nottingham - Financial Mathematics
University of Exeter - Mathematics with Finance
University of Birmingham - Mathematics
Lancaster University - Financial Mathematics (with year in Industry)

I'd ideally like to try and make it into Front Office at some point (S&T, AM etc.), but am unsure what is the best route to take. Should I stay on the programme, or go to university?

Thanks.
With those offers at those universities? Go to university. The experience you've already had will be invaluable when you come out looking for jobs. The School Leaver programme is great if accountancy is definitely what you want to do for the short to medium term, but unless you also become a graduate you will be at some disadvantage eventually. There's nothing to stop you from getting sponsorship/a training contract once you graduate.

The Lancaster option is particularly worth thinking about, because the year in industry will develop even further the networks you already have (and you will benefit from Lancaster having one of the most prestigious business schools in the country), adding significantly to your job prospects on graduation.

All of that said, in the end it's your decision about what feels right for you. It's easy for me to give advice, but I don't know you or your circumstances, and there may be very good reasons for going down the School Leaver programme route instead. I'm not for a moment suggesting that would waste your time, far from it.

Quick Reply

Latest