HIgh volume training and size ? Watch

redleader1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ive been training for a couple of months now and im wondering how high volume training would affect my gains if I did 15 sets with a decent weight what would happen ? Would I gain mass doing this ?

Ideally ive heard for mass it should be high weights and low reps, but should you do this all the time ? Wouldnt your body get used to this training, I try to change my reps around but its the same concept heavy weight low reps.

So doesnt your body get used to the concept ?

Can someone explain ?
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As a beginner, you're best off keeping things as simple as possible mate. High volume workouts generally aren't suited to those new to training. For mass the general consensus is moderate reps rather than low, around 6-10 reps.

Your body doesn't get used to a certain type of training, unless you go in and lift the same weights week in, week out. You go into the gym and do your workout; this places stress on the muscles; they compensate by getting bigger and stronger in preparation for future stress of a similar degree; then you go and increase the stress by progressively introducing overload over time - be that an increase in weights, reps, volume, density (time to complete the work) and so on - basically, placing more stress on the muscle than it's accustomed to by increasing the workload. You're not going to generate more stress by changing your exercises or rep range if the overall workload isn't increased in the process.

As a beginner, the best possible method of progressive overload you can follow is to increase the weight on the bar over time. Either through an auto-regulated type program with fixed reps, or through striving to complete more reps with each workout and then adding weight to the bar to stay within the target rep range. I personally prefer the second approach as it requires a genuine effort and desire to progress to actually acquire it, and allows for ebbs and flows in progression which is a much more natural approach. However, auto-regulation is also a time-tested and proven method, so if that's your choice then there's nothing wrong with that in the slightest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (297)
32.04%
The paper was reasonable (439)
47.36%
Not feeling great about that exam... (113)
12.19%
It was TERRIBLE (78)
8.41%

Watched Threads