The Student Room Group

Do City workers really do a lot of drugs/booze etc.?

Or is that just the stereotype?

Scroll to see replies

Nah man, it's like Wolf of Wall Street out there.
Reply 2
Original post by EPluribus Unum
Nah man, it's like Wolf of Wall Street out there.

Heh.

There's a video on the Sun today (saw it mentioned on the Grauniad too) of a City worker doing coke in public on the tube. He does animal impressions and stuff :thumbsup:

Despite the stereotypes these are serious jobs though..? (I may want to work in the City at some point hence my question)
Original post by Daisy21
Or is that just the stereotype?

Yeah

The hedge fundies do more though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10574158/Meet-the-wolves-of-Canary-Wharf.html
Original post by Daisy21
Heh.

There's a video on the Sun today (saw it mentioned on the Grauniad too) of a City worker doing coke in public on the tube. He does animal impressions and stuff :thumbsup:

Despite the stereotypes these are serious jobs though..? (I may want to work in the City at some point hence my question)

Link me :rofl:
Reply 5

Mostly financiers then? Not sure if too many City lawyers would risk it :lol:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6512362/The-Wolf-of-London-Underground.html :rofl:
Original post by Daisy21
Heh.

The thing with the City is that a lot of business there is motivated by the bottom line, all they want is stellar profits. So therefore the lifestyle is very much a work hard, play hard attitude. They pull in the regular 12 hour days and as a matter of fact drugs do come in useful to pull off these shifts. Im not saying everyone is a coke head, but I would guess its more than average.
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
Depends on the industry you work in and the social circles you also have within work.

But if we are generalising then they are in a minority. So it is a bit of a stereotype.

Which industries would you say do it more?

AFAIK something like tech for instance doesn't have a reputation for there being a lot of drugs/booze.
Wow. This was a fun coincidence! I signed up earlier today to do an AMA and a quick guide to buy-side banking since I used to use the site a lot.

Since graduating, I have developed a small amphetamine problem. Ritalin, mainly, for work. I use coke socially and tried speed once or twice in my first year to get through the worst days - didn't like it.
Original post by Daisy21
Mostly financiers then? Not sure if too many City lawyers would risk it :lol:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6512362/The-Wolf-of-London-Underground.html :rofl:

This is amazing, so funny XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD :rofl:
Original post by Finance Guy
Wow. This was a fun coincidence! I signed up earlier today to do an AMA and a quick guide to buy-side banking since I used to use the site a lot.

Since graduating, I have developed a small amphetamine problem. Ritalin, mainly, for work. I use coke socially and tried speed once or twice in my first year to get through the worst days - didn't like it.

Wow... link to your AMA?
Reply 11
Original post by EPluribus Unum
The thing with the City is that a lot of business there is motivated by the bottom line, all they want is stellar profits. So therefore the lifestyle is very much a work hard, play hard attitude. They pull in the regular 12 hour days and as a matter of fact drugs do come in useful to pull off these shifts. Im not saying everyone is a coke head, but I would guess its more than average.

Thanks. Surely drugs would screw up your work a lot of the time, though? (I used to consume a lot of coffee though and I work long hours :banana:)

Anonynmous
This is amazing, so funny XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

He's spent that bonus wisely. :rofl:

Finance Guy

Thanks! Is your AMA up now? I might have some questions about working in finance.

Sorry to hear that, are your hours really that bad? Not that it's necessarily comparable, but I find that the "slump" after a high of drinking coffee or something just ends up making long hours worse.
Reply 12
Original post by J-SP
Probably those that are more high pressures and high paid.

Some of the creative industries are also know for it though.

I can't imagine tech is easy but I suppose stuff like finance is pretty hierarchical too which doesn't help and workers probably get "chewed out" more there.

Yeah, stuff like music and the arts I guess. I dunno if I'd classify them as the City though.
Original post by Daisy21
Heh.

Yeah they are serious jobs lol.

I aim to be working there.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonynmous
Yeah they are serious jobs lol.

I aim to be working there.

Oh yeah, sorry worded that wrong lol. What I meant was that these are serious jobs so the stereotype of being "absolutely ****ing annihilated" (to quote that guy) is surprising if based in truth.

Gl :five:
Original post by Anonynmous
Wow... link to your AMA?

Original post by Daisy21
Thanks! Is your AMA up now? I might have some questions about working in finance.

Not up yet. I will release it after the guide/wiki is complete to avoid wasting time on people who aren't serious and can't read the info already there. You should expect it to be around by this evening.

Sorry to hear that, are your hours really that bad? Not that it's necessarily comparable, but I find that the "slump" after a high of drinking coffee or something just ends up making long hours worse.

Amphetamine 'problem' was really tongue-in-cheek more than anything. I do use for work but not because it's impossible without it. Just like coffee, if you go from a couple of cups a day to none you'll have withdrawal symptoms (headaches, etc) yet, you're not particularly reliant on it to function.

The hours are fine. I love it. Drugs and hedonism in general is just part of the culture where I am. You can avoid it if that's not your thing.
Reply 16
Not up yet. I will release it after the guide/wiki is complete to avoid wasting time on people who aren't serious and can't read the info already there. You should expect it to be around by this evening.

Amphetamine 'problem' was really tongue-in-cheek more than anything. I do use for work but not because it's impossible without it. Just like coffee, if you go from a couple of cups a day to none you'll have withdrawal symptoms (headaches, etc) yet, you're not particularly reliant on it to function.

The hours are fine. I love it. Drugs and hedonism in general is just part of the culture where I am. You can avoid it if that's not your thing.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

I like hedonism, just not sure if I'd fit in where most other people would be getting smashed out of their mind. I'm sure that's not really the case though, was just curious how much truth was behind the stereotypes.
Original post by Daisy21
Oh yeah, sorry worded that wrong lol. What I meant was that these are serious jobs so the stereotype of being "absolutely ****ing annihilated" (to quote that guy) is surprising if based in truth.

Gl :five:

I've been lucky enough to have exposure at large city firms and basically can say cases like these are very very small. Most if not nearly all staff working at these firms are just normal nice people.

Though when I see stuff like this it just cracks me up so much haha cos people really believe that's how the majority of bankers/traders/city workers are like.
Original post by Daisy21
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

I like hedonism, just not sure if I'd fit in where most other people would be getting smashed out of their mind. I'm sure that's not really the case though, was just curious how much truth was behind the stereotypes.

It's a different kind of smashed to University. You know how students get so drunk they are practically catatonic? That's not what happens here. You get so buzzed you feel like running off the roof. it's a very different image, far less sloppy or messy.
Reply 19
It's a different kind of smashed to University. You know how students get so drunk they are practically catatonic? That's not what happens here. You get so buzzed you feel like running off the roof. it's a very different image, far less sloppy or messy.

Ah, I see. Very different mental image :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending