Can I get my A level results first and then apply for university next year?

Watch
curious!
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey, guys I was wondering if it was possible to achieve my A level firsts and then apply for university? The reason I'm asking this is because the degree I want to apply for requires Maths A level; so I'm planning to self teach maths at home while doing my other subjects at college. Will I be able to do this and if so how can I do this?
localblackguy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, if I'm not mistake you can get unconditional offers through this method since you'd have the grades already.
JVD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, some people do this and, as said above, already meet requirements and receive unconditionals.

This is because the university know what you have achieved without working on predictions.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can. It'll be what I do (hopefully).
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by curious!)
Hey, guys I was wondering if it was possible to achieve my A level firsts and then apply for university? The reason I'm asking this is because the degree I want to apply for requires Maths A level; so I'm planning to self teach maths at home while doing my other subjects at college. Will I be able to do this and if so how can I do this?
Are you self-teaching Maths whilst doing A2 at college? If so just apply as normal.

If you are self-teaching after doing college A2 you will not get an unconditional offer as you won't have completed Maths when you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
curious!
Rep:
?
(Original post by jneill)
Are you self-teaching Maths whilst doing A2 at college? If so just apply as normal.

If you are self-teaching after doing college A2 you will not get an unconditional offer as you won't have completed Maths when you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh I'm self teaching maths at home and thinking of doing the as and a2 modules at the same time. How can I apply as normal if the universities won't know what I'm capable of getting in maths if I haven't done as maths in year 12. Surely they'll reject me. I think I probably have to get my results first and then apply next time. what do you think?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeh I'm self teaching maths at home and thinking of doing the as and a2 modules at the same time. How can I apply as normal if the universities won't know what I'm capable of getting in maths if I haven't done as maths in year 12. Surely they'll reject me. I think I probably have to get my results first and then apply next time. what do you think?
No you tell them you have the result pending. It's not a problem. And even if they do reject you you can still reapply next year with all results in hand (but you would have to take a gap year).

So to be clear, you are planning on doing all 6 modules in 1 year alongside the rest of your A2s? That's quite a lot of work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
curious!
Rep:
?
Oh ok, so just to be clear I can state that my maths a level is pending and apply for maths degree even though I'm likely to get rejected and then reapply next year? Yeh, I know its a lot of work but its the price I have to pay for my stupidity at not choosing maths in year 12.

Also another question, out of curiosity what if I apply for a course and then after the ucas deadline I change my mind and have a sight on another course. what would I do in that case? apply the following year?
Thx for the info btw
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh ok, so just to be clear I can state that my maths a level is pending and apply for maths degree even though I'm likely to get rejected and then reapply next year? Yeh, I know its a lot of work but its the price I have to pay for my stupidity at not choosing maths in year 12.

Also another question, out of curiosity what if I apply for a course and then after the ucas deadline I change my mind and have a sight on another course. what would I do in that case? apply the following year?
Thx for the info btw
Yes to your first question.

You have 5 slots on your form. You don't have to fill them all when you initially apply, so you can add other unis and courses later. BUT you can't change your personal statement after you first submit it. So you could, for example, apply to 4 Maths courses and then later add a 5th choice for a Physics course, but the PS would have to stay the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
localblackguy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thx for the info btw
You can either apply the following year, or decline all your offers and go into UCAS Extra.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Also, you should tell your school what you are doing and get their support. You really need them to include it in your reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GuppyFox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Keep in mind it may be easier for you applying whilst you are still studying, colleges can help massively in making sure you have a good application and personal statement, this can be trickier when left to do it yourself.
curious!
Rep:
?
Cheers guys. One final question. With the new specification being rolled out for sciences subjects next year will it harm my chance of receiving an offer as I will be applying alongside with next year AS students with my specification that is no longer be used?
curious!
Rep:
?
(Original post by localblackguy)
You can either apply the following year, or decline all your offers and go into UCAS Extra.
Thx
SteelManatee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are the top universities put off by a pending A-level grade? I might fast track economics next year and i want to apply to ucl for economics. I already have Maths and chemistry as my AS subjects but my grade for Economics will be pending so would that result in a straight rejection?
curious!
Rep:
?
Most likely to reject you because they don't know of your capabilities in economics. But then I'm not sure so its better to ask the teacher. That's what I'm going to do.
curious!
Rep:
?
(Original post by SP0TIFY)
Yeah, some people do this and, as said above, already meet requirements and receive unconditionals.

This is because the university know what you have achieved without working on predictions.
Thx. That's gd to know
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cheers guys. One final question. With the new specification being rolled out for sciences subjects next year will it harm my chance of receiving an offer as I will be applying alongside with next year AS students with my specification that is no longer be used?
It will not harm your chances. If anything you will be in a slightly more favourable position as they are more familiar with the existing specs.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
Are the top universities put off by a pending A-level grade? I might fast track economics next year and i want to apply to ucl for economics. I already have Maths and chemistry as my AS subjects but my grade for Economics will be pending so would that result in a straight rejection?
The vast majority of applicants already have grades pending! You normally apply before finishing A2 exams so all the A2 grades are pending... And for the new specification all A-levels will be pending anyway with most people not taking AS in Y12.

BUT, do not underestimate the amount of work needed to do a complete A-level subject in just 1 year, alongside your current A2s. I would not recommend it.
curious!
Rep:
?
(Original post by jneill)
It will not harm your chances. If anything you will be in a slightly more favourable position as they are more familiar with the existing specs.
Thx a lot. Sorry to be asking too many questions but regarding the personal statement issue what if my ps is based a lot on a degree course I initially applied for this year and then lets say I changed my mind and want to apply for a new course next year, will I get the opportunity to change it when applying for a course next year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
11.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.62%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.64%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.72%
Financial worries (24)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.09%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.9%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.14%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.25%

Watched Threads