The Student Room Group

Discursive Topic?

I'm in 5th year and I looking for a good dicursive essay topic that could also be used for my talking assessment. I want it to be original and interesting. Does anyone have any ideas?:smile:
Original post by SophieA.2000
I'm in 5th year and I looking for a good dicursive essay topic that could also be used for my talking assessment. I want it to be original and interesting. Does anyone have any ideas?:smile:

You mean for English? I chose racial violence in America for mine as I find politics interesting but there are lots of options like "are footballers too highly paid?" "can music make people more positive in life?" or "are hidden sugars to blame for the obesity crisis?", it depends what interests you, there are so many different options. :smile:
Should babies be genetically modified to improve IQ.:smile:
Original post by SophieA.2000

I find its a personal thing, but shy away from the usual euthanasia, capital punishment (did this one for my nat 5s and got a high score, but needed to put extra time into it as it was a generic topic), legalise weed, are footballers highly paid topics... you know the types. Try to be original are write about original ideas.

For my higher I wrote a discursive on the illegal organ trade and organ trafficking, and ways to sort the issue out. This might of also been a generic topic but was one my teacher had never really seen before so I did it.
I wrote about rape culture, and in S4 I wrote about how exams put too much stress on students
I did mine on the effect of tourism on the environment for my higher english - again, like many people have probably mentioned to you in the past, try to avoid cliche topics but find something that people don't tend to talk about too much and most importantly, something you find interesting. A quick look in the Guardian or a similar newspaper might give current affairs topics that are worth talking about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending