Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unfinished sympathy)
    OCR cant believe i didnt get an A first time! :eek: it was so much easier than i thought it would be :mad:
    Lol, didn't you ask for a re-mark with your grade being so near the next grade?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner1592)
    I certainly am! Thank God I'm away from the "I like to eat apples because they are green" stimulus:p: I'm loving it so far though Languages at AS level are so interesting...the topics seem wide and varied, and I love that Sadly though, I don't get much grammar practice in class, so that'll be the reason why my grammar is quite weak:p: However, I do like grammar so I don't mind sitting down with a grammar book, revising word order, and tenses etc.
    well youre supposed to know it! at AS level ha!! but its true.. we were all crp at the start, i was the best in the class though :p: grammar jsut seemed to click with me i found the oral the hardest

ReputationRep:
    Lol, didn't you ask for a re-mark with your grade being so near the next grade?:confused:
    nope cos i took advice from TSR when they said they probs looked through the paper to make sure it wa right.. what with it being so close and them having to pay for the refundif it went up more..

ReputationRep:
    nope cos i took advice from TSR when they said they probs looked through the paper to make sure it wa right.. what with it being so close and them having to pay for the refundif it went up more..
    Yeah, I do sometimes think that the British examining system is rather cr*p in that respect, because the examiners are given such strict deadlines, so they have to rush their work to get it done on time, thus, resulting in dodgy results:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I do sometimes think that the British examining system is rather cr*p in that respect, because the examiners are given such strict deadlines, so they have to rush their work to get it done on time, thus, resulting in dodgy results:mad:
    yep i know :mad: i was chuffed that i had passed :p: but then it moved on to being pssed off that i hadnt got an A! :p: i must start revising actually :p:

thats crap btw! you need a B at least to do Alevel, doesnt matter what youre school says! theyre lying theyll accept you if they know that it was odd that you didnt get an A.. it would be totally unfair if they didnt accept you cos you got a B!cos thats the level needed!

well ii took GCSE spanish ocr and gcse german and french AQA, the oral is easier- the role play takes over, and therye piss easy to answer... there arent as many queations to have to answer.. the reading was easier.. the questions were simple.. it was jsut easy imo! safe to say i got A* :p:
    Yeah- it's just my school setting stupid standards as per usual. :p: My French teacher already decided back in year ten that I was "definitely taking French A level".. haha no pressure then!

Ooh yeah actually- I looked at a few past papers by AQA because they've got so many more on their website than OCR, and the writing certainly seems more complicated. The grade boundaries are also alright for OCR, because I somehow managed an A* on all of the papers when we did the 2004 papers for our exams in February. The papers are out of less for AQA I think. I'm pretty certain OCR's are all out of 50, because I remember getting 45 on the reading or listening and 47 on the writing.. can't remember the other ones though.

ReputationRep:
    yep i know :mad: i was chuffed that i had passed :p: but then it moved on to being pssed off that i hadnt got an A! :p: i must start revising actually :p:
    Lol, well to make you feel better; in my school last year, there were two AS students of German (who got an E and a U) and one A2 student (who got a D), and my teacher was immensly proud of those who got a D and an E. I always thought that they were absolutely amazing linguists, and clearly shows the difficulty of A-Levels IMO.:rolleyes: So getting a B is brill I'd be well chuffed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suuuuuuseh)
    Yeah- it's just my school setting stupid standards as per usual. :p: My French teacher already decided back in year ten that I was "definitely taking French A level".. haha no pressure then!

Ooh yeah actually- I looked at a few past papers by AQA because they've got so many more on their website than OCR, and the writing certainly seems more complicated. The grade boundaries are also alright for OCR, because I somehow managed an A* on all of the papers when we did the 2004 papers for our exams in February. The papers are out of less for AQA I think. I'm pretty certain OCR's are all out of 50, because I remember getting 45 on the reading or listening and 47 on the writing.. can't remember the other ones though.
    yep, OCR is just easier.. cant explain it, but it is!

ignore em seriously, they will let you do Alevel french!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, well to make you feel better; in my school last year, there were two AS students of German (who got an E and a U) and one A2 student (who got a D), and my teacher was immensly proud of those who got a D and an E. I always thought that they were absolutely amazing linguists, and clearly shows the difficulty of A-Levels IMO.:rolleyes: So getting a B is brill I'd be well chuffed
    :p: im too picky for my own good:p: but i was under so much pressure cos i was the best nongerman in my class there was 79 of us two of us werent german! :eek:

ReputationRep:

I've seen some of the OCR papers for GCSE, and think that they are much more complicated than those of AQA.:rolleyes: According to my German teacher, they enter us for AQA exams during GCSE because they are more of a 'GCSE exam board', and then we are entered for exams with OCR for our A-Levels because they prepare you more for your University courses:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I've seen some of the OCR papers for GCSE, and think that they are much more complicated than those of AQA.:rolleyes: According to my German teacher, they enter us for AQA exams during GCSE because they are more of a 'GCSE exam board', and then we are entered for exams with OCR for our A-Levels because they prepare you more for your University courses:confused:
    never heard of that before.. maybe its cos OCR is easier than AQA and schools wanna ensure that you get grades for the schools reputation, and that you get to the uni of your choice.

ReputationRep:
    :p: im too picky for my own good:p: but i was under so much pressure cos i was the best nongerman in my class there was 79 of us two of us werent german! :eek:
    :eek: There were 79 German candidates:eek: 77 of whom were German How did you cope:p: My teacher tells us that the very top grades are normally reserved for the elite linguists, i.e. those of whom are native Germans, or even French:rolleyes: Grrrrr!!!! God damned Germans:p:

ReputationRep:
    never heard of that before.. maybe its cos OCR is easier than AQA and schools wanna ensure that you get grades for the schools reputation, and that you get to the uni of your choice.
    Probably...My school does have a habit of talking a load of bull!:p: They say anything so that the head teacher sounds great; I'm telling you...he (The Headteacher) believes that he's only one step under God in this universe!:p:

ReputationRep:
    :eek: There were 79 German candidates:eek: 77 of whom were German How did you cope:p: My teacher tells us that the very top grades are normally reserved for the elite linguists, i.e. those of whom are native Germans, or even French:rolleyes: Grrrrr!!!! God damned Germans:p:
    sorry 9 in my class :p: not 79 what ironic though is they are native and they didnt get full marks! so how the hell are we supposed to?

I'd be interested to know how schools/departments choose the exam boards. I wonder if they take ages looking over the specifications and then choose; or if they don't really see very much difference between the boards, and just go for whichever one is more convenient resources wise etc.

ReputationRep:
    Probably...My school does have a habit of talking a load of bull!:p: They say anything so that the head teacher sounds great; I'm telling you...he (The Headteacher) believes that he's only one step under God in this universe!:p:
    i think most heads do! they all seem to be like salesmen :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd be interested to know how schools/departments choose the exam boards. I wonder if they take ages looking over the specifications and then choose; or if they don't really see very much difference between the boards, and just go for whichever one is more convenient resources wise etc.
    usually i think they choose one and change it if its not suitable for teir school. I think they chooose em by what books they have to choose from, ie literature, by do they have coursework, it depends on preference i think

ReputationRep:
    Quand étais le dernier fois que nous avons parlé en Francais? Will sera énervé!
    perhaps people who arent good at it, but need decent grades, have no other choice!
    And did you just try and justify cheating? :wtf?:

sorry 9 in my class :p: not 79 what ironic though is they are native and they didnt get full marks! so how the hell are we supposed to?
    I know what you mean, although I know I'm not going to get full marks for German GCSE, despite the fact I'm strictly speaking more German than I am English- what with only having a German passport and having an Irish dad.. :p:

(Original post by RJA)
    Quand étais le dernier fois que nous avons parlé en Francais? Will sera énervé!

And did you just try and justify cheating? :wtf?:
    Ah oui, mais c'est au sujet de la langue en général..

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 16, 2008

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.