Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesH)
    Well, I've heard the jump between GCSE and French in any subject is very great - I was told that in AS French and A2 in particular, precise and accurate grammar is essential for a good grade, in GCSE they are not as strict about it (though I thought they were!) so if I was a little stuck, your help would be appreciated
    Modern Languages are very much less difficult to succeed in than something like maths. In fact, they are pipsqueak (if you found GCSE French easy, it's just a gradual step up). For all boards, the maximum word count for writing at AS is about 180-200, although 150 is well acceptable. At A2, it is even easier. There's just an 80-100 word "essay" to do at the end of the paper. It's only if you're planning on doing the AEA (don't: it's a lot of unnecessary hassle), that you have to write a 450-500 word essay in Section C of the paper.

I really would encourage you to take up French at A-level. I can tell you it's really not that bad; it's also interesting and very rewarding to get an insight into French culture. And unlike other subjects, there is so much French you can do that is not purely academic. During the A-Level course, I recommend that you listen to some French rap, for instance (or other French songs). There are some really good French films out too, such as 'La Haine' and 'Les Visiteurs'.

The lengthy essay is the coursework section for A2. I'm not saying this is easy, but there is usually a lot of stimulus material for the topic you choose to write about, and you have a long time (many months) to do it in. You can choose do either do two 700 word essays or one 1400 word essay. I opted for the latter; you're more likely to get higher marks, since you can sufficiently expand upon a topic. C'est du gateau!!! If you know your grammar you'll fly through.

Btw are we the only two who even look at this thread any more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    Modern Languages are very much less difficult to succeed in than something like maths. In fact, they are pipsqueak (if you found GCSE French easy, it's just a gradual step up). For all boards, the maximum word count for writing at AS is about 180-200, although 150 is well acceptable. At A2, it is even easier. There's just an 80-100 word "essay" to do at the end of the paper. It's only if you're planning on doing the AEA (don't: it's a lot of unnecessary hassle), that you have to write a 450-500 word essay in Section C of the paper.

I really would encourage you to take up French at A-level. I can tell you it's really not that bad; it's also interesting and very rewarding to get an insight into French culture. And unlike other subjects, there is so much French you can do that is not purely academic. During the A-Level course, I recommend that you listen to some French rap, for instance (or other French songs). There are some really good French films out too, such as 'La Haine' and 'Les Visiteurs'.

The lengthy essay is the coursework section for A2. I'm not saying this is easy, but there is usually a lot of stimulus material for the topic you choose to write about, and you have a long time (many months) to do it in. You can choose do either do two 700 word essays or one 1400 word essay. I opted for the latter; you're more likely to get higher marks, since you can sufficiently expand upon a topic. C'est du gateau!!! If you know your grammar you'll fly through.

Btw are we the only two who even look at this thread any more?
    I would agree with the above. Good grasp of grammar is important but it's really not that difficult as an A level. As for films; you might already have seen "le fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain" but if you haven't it's great; "Delicatessen" is fun too (same director). A good tip I've found is to watch French films with subtitles in French if you can; DVDs from France usually have subtitles for the hard of hearing in French. It's handy as just distinguishing the spoken words can be a bit difficult at first, but English subtitles are a bit of a cop-out

Oh - and if you have a knack for French the AEA isn't much hassle!! You're not supposed to be taught for it so it's just a three-hour exam which I actually quite enjoyed doing (sad, I know, but it was so different to the same old A level papers...). It has a bit of translation, grammar and comprehension and a nice long essay to write and that's about it from what I can recall (although it was a while ago). I didn't tell my universities I was doing it, so the result didn't matter either - it was just an extra qualification really. I liked it anyway

(I'm looking at the thread, just never sure what to write!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I would agree with the above. Good grasp of grammar is important but it's really not that difficult as an A level. As for films; you might already have seen "le fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain" but if you haven't it's great; "Delicatessen" is fun too (same director). A good tip I've found is to watch French films with subtitles in French if you can; DVDs from France usually have subtitles for the hard of hearing in French. It's handy as just distinguishing the spoken words can be a bit difficult at first, but English subtitles are a bit of a cop-out

Oh - and if you have a knack for French the AEA isn't much hassle!! You're not supposed to be taught for it so it's just a three-hour exam which I actually quite enjoyed doing (sad, I know, but it was so different to the same old A level papers...). It has a bit of translation, grammar and comprehension and a nice long essay to write and that's about it from what I can recall (although it was a while ago). I didn't tell my universities I was doing it, so the result didn't matter either - it was just an extra qualification really. I liked it anyway

(I'm looking at the thread, just never sure what to write!!)
    MadNatSci, which AEA did you do? I take it wasn't this year's one....I enjoyed the translations, but the listening was utter dross (and I'm usually not too bad with listening). If you know what to write, the essay sections aren't bad, I usually get verbal diarrhoea so I'm OK.

I say the AEA is unnecessary hassle because it goes virtually unrecognised. There's really not a lot of point doing it; I only did it to push myself that bit further, and to keep up French in Upper SDixth, because I'd finished AS and A2 in Lower sixth.

Btw,just saw 'Amelie'...it's quirky! But a good film nevertheless.

ReputationRep:
    MadNatSci, which AEA did you do? I take it wasn't this year's one....I enjoyed the translations, but the listening was utter dross (and I'm usually not too bad with listening). If you know what to write, the essay sections aren't bad, I usually get verbal diarrhoea so I'm OK.

I say the AEA is unnecessary hassle because it goes virtually unrecognised. There's really not a lot of point doing it; I only did it to push myself that bit further, and to keep up French in Upper SDixth, because I'd finished AS and A2 in Lower sixth.

Btw,just saw 'Amelie'...it's quirky! But a good film nevertheless.
    I did it in 2003 so yeah, it would have been a different exam - it's a shame if they made it crap this year (although I must admit that I got most satisfaction out of the reading/writing sections anyway). I think the AEA is good if you do want to push yourself a bit more and take your accuracy to a higher standard. Because I wasn't officially carrying French on after sixth form I wanted to get as good as I possibly could before I had to focus entirely on science - unfortunately in the long run it didn't do much good, as I've forgotten loads over the course of the past year, but I am slowly picking it up again. And I did enjoy the challenge enormously. I do miss French *wistful sigh*

The AEA sort of goes virtually unrecognised, yes; although I know Oxbridge are very interested in it. The problem is that it's still early days and the numbers taking it are relatively small (obviously, since it's aimed at the top 10% or so), but I know that Cambridge has made AEAs part of offers for people starting courses this October. I don't know to what depth your CV is looked at but I'd imagine it'll make a pretty qualification there too... but at the end of the day, I did it for me and no-one else; and I still think it was worth it

PS I love Amelie... its quirks are great The gnome bit made me giggle most I think...

ReputationRep:
    My most loved French film has to be "Le dîner de cons" HIGHLY RECOMMENDED It is hilarious and will test ur french... go forth and watch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Or_Kiaz)
    My most loved French film has to be "Le dîner de cons" HIGHLY RECOMMENDED It is hilarious and will test ur french... go forth and watch!
    Yes, my teacher recommended that to me. I'm trying to get my hands on it, but no luck so far. :rolleyes:

did it in 2003 so yeah, it would have been a different exam - it's a shame if they made it crap this year (although I must admit that I got most satisfaction out of the reading/writing sections anyway). I think the AEA is good if you do want to push yourself a bit more and take your accuracy to a higher standard. Because I wasn't officially carrying French on after sixth form I wanted to get as good as I possibly could before I had to focus entirely on science - unfortunately in the long run it didn't do much good, as I've forgotten loads over the course of the past year, but I am slowly picking it up again. And I did enjoy the challenge enormously. I do miss French *wistful sigh*
    That's why I did it too....I'm doing medicine at uni. French was the the only non-science A-level I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Or_Kiaz)
    J'adore cet film! C'est fantastique-j'ai l'ai vu deux fois et ça m'a fait rire même si je l'ai vu plus qu'un fois! Un autre film que j'aime bien est 'Le Placard' c'est trés drôle aussi! Personne l'ai vu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    J'adore cet film! C'est fantastique-j'ai l'ai vu deux fois et ça m'a fait rire même si je l'ai vu plus qu'un fois! Un autre film que j'aime bien est 'Le Placard' c'est trés drôle aussi! Personne l'ai vu?
    Merci a tous - je dois trouver ces films aussitot que possible!

Ils ne sont pas comiques mais les films 'Jean de Florette' et 'Manon des Sources' sont tres bien joues, aussi. Je trouve que les films francais sont tres differents: je les aime beaucoup plus que ceux de Hollywood, qui sont tous les memes...

ReputationRep:
    Merci a tous - je dois trouver ces films aussitot que possible!

Ils ne sont pas comiques mais les films 'Jean de Florette' et 'Manon des Sources' sont tres bien joues, aussi. Je trouve que les films francais sont tres differents: je les aime beaucoup plus que ceux de Hollywood, qui sont tous les memes...
    Oui, biensur! French cinema is thoughtful cinema. It differs from Hollywood in that it does not produce mindless blockbusters.

Si jamais quelqu’un a vu ‘La Haine’ il faut que tu me le dises! C’est un film qui m’a fait penser pendant longtemps, dont le réalisateur est Matthieu Kassovitz (celui qui joue le rôle de Nino dans le film 'Amélie'). Le tournage du film était, tout simplement, époustouflant. Il s’agit essentiellement de trois garçons: Vinz, Said et Hubert, qui habitent dans les ‘cités’ aux banlieues de Paris, et qui commettent de petits délits chaque jour pour gagner de quoi vivre. Bien que la fin soit tragique, il y a des moments si drôles qu’on ne peut pas s’empêcher de rire, et de cette façon, Kassovitz attire notre attention jusqu’à la fin.

ReputationRep:
    Je suis d'accord – 'La Haine' est trop bon!

A l'école, on a vu aussi un film assez similair – il s'appelle 'La Squale'. C'est pas aussi bon que 'La Haine', mais très émouvant. C'est d'une fille qui habite sur l'un de ces cités à Paris, elle est 'la squale', et sa lutte contre les caïds.

'Amélie' est trop mignon! (Can you say that in this sort of context?)

ReputationRep:
    je vois que tu vas gagner A pour A-Level French et distinction pour AEA. j'ai oublie pratiquement tous que je savais le fin de l'annee scolaire.

cela dit, j'ai vu ce film et je l'ai pensé magnifique; je ne sais rien concernant le tournage, mais c'etait interessant. j'ai vu Amelie aussi, et Le Diner des Cons. est-ce qu'il y en a des autres films aussi interessant que ceux-ci?

ReputationRep:
    salut!

c'est le premier fois que j'ai écrit dans ce forum! supercool! j'ai fini mes études en francais (A level)maintenant et je n'ai pas parlé en francais.......il y a un mois deja! si j'ai gagné ABB ( la chimie,le francais, et la bio) je vais a Manchester pour faire etre dentiste!

je voudrai aller a "les vieilles des charrues" (un festival de musique)avec mon assistant francais (qui habite en Bretagne) mais malheursement je ne pouvais pas trouver quelqu'un qui veut aller avec moi! tous mes potes n'aiment pas les francais et la France! :eek: personne connais "les vieilles des charrues" ??

j'adore tous les choses francais aussi..... en particulere les garcons francais
    je veux vous demander, ou est ce que je peux trouver les films en francais? j'ai vu seulement ameile!

merci et a bientot!

Ouragon!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    je vois que tu vas gagner A pour A-Level French et distinction pour AEA. j'ai oublie pratiquement tous que je savais le fin de l'annee scolaire.

cela dit, j'ai vu ce film et je l'ai pensé magnifique; je ne sais rien concernant le tournage, mais c'etait interessant. j'ai vu Amelie aussi, et Le Diner des Cons. est-ce qu'il y en a des autres films aussi interessant que ceux-ci?
    Merci infiniment pour une telle compliment. Tu m'as vraiment fait rougir!!! Et ton niveau de la langue est tres bon aussi. Des autres films que je peux te recommander pour l’instant sont les suivants:
    -Les Visiteurs (vachement drôle)
    -Au revoir les enfants (il s'agit de la résistance française pendant la deuxième guerre mondiale)
    -Le placard
    -La gloire de mon père/Le château de ma mère (adaptés des livres de Marcel Pagnol)
    -L’armée des Morts (en fait, je n’ai pas eu l’occasion de voir ce film, en raison du fait qu’il est tout neuf, il vient d’être sorti en France. Je n’ai vu que les publicités pendant ma visite à Paris il y a deux semaines).

Ce que je te conseille en outre, c’est d’écouter de la musique française (le rap etc.) On peut tout trouver sur la toile, et c’est également possible d’écouter des stations telles que nrj (radio pour les adolescents, avec la musique anglaise et française) en en direct. www.nrj.fr . C’est génial. En ce qui concerne la France, moi-même, je n’y suis allé que deux fois, ; pourtant je suis un francophone, et j’adore tout ce qui est lié à ce pays merveilleux.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gringalet)
    Je suis d'accord – 'La Haine' est trop bon!

A l'école, on a vu aussi un film assez similair – il s'appelle 'La Squale'. C'est pas aussi bon que 'La Haine', mais très émouvant. C'est d'une fille qui habite sur l'un de ces cités à Paris, elle est 'la squale', et sa lutte contre les caïds.

'Amélie' est trop mignon! (Can you say that in this sort of context?)
    Oui je suis d'accord, elle est vachement mignonne!

ReputationRep:
    J'avais vu beacoup de films français! Ils sont:

'Les Enfants du Siècle'
    'Etre et Avoir'
    'On Connait le Chanson'
    'A Ma Soeur'
    'Laissez-Passez'
    'Au Revoir Les Enfants'
    'Harry, Un Ami Qui Vous Veut Du Bien'
    'Le Placard'
    'Le Diner du Cons'
    'Amelie'
    'Manon des Sources'
    'Jean de Florette'

et plus! (mais je ne peut pas raconter les noms!)

BBC4 shows French films regularly, so I tape them and watch them later (they're on late at night) and I also listen to LW French radio and watch TV5

ReputationRep:
    Oui je suis d'accord, elle est vachement mignonne!
    Lol, ouais, ça c'est vrai, mais tu en sais de ce que je veux dire!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    BBC4 shows French films regularly, so I tape them and watch them later (they're on late at night) and I also listen to LW French radio and watch TV5
    ooh, did you see 'ma vie en rose'? ça c'était tellement adorable

ReputationRep:
    Lol, ouais, ça c'est vrai, mais tu en sais de ce que je veux dire!
    Bien sur que oui! Moi aussi. Elle est plutôt séduisante, peut-être?

ReputationRep:
    Je veux dire que le film est mignon! Si on peut le dire...

Mais elle est très jolie, c'est bien sûr!

Eugh, mon français est devenu terrible! Je m'excuse!

ReputationRep:
    ooh, did you see 'ma vie en rose'? ça c'était tellement adorable
    No, i really wanted to, so i taped it, but it didn't tape so i got really :mad: why is it that whenever you really want to watch something, your video recorder decides to not work?

Anyway, the other night, 'Nouvelle Eye' was on, and I taped that, and it did work, so I'll watch that soon.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 16, 2008
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.