Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

La Société Française d'UKL (UKL French Soc) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi! im a new member who is studying french AS and will continue onto A2..may i join ??

ReputationRep:
    ~salut littlelaura, bien sur que oui! tu devrais juste l'ajouter dans ta signature et voilà, EmJ saura bientot.au fait, bienvenue.

ciao

ReputationRep:
    so wat do i have to do now then ? im still not that familiar with the site....sorry!

ReputationRep:
    ~hehe that's ok..see in my sig, below the post there's 'membre de la
    societe....' well go to ur user CP and put it in ur sig...EmJ comes occasionally to check the thread and will add u as a new member..or u can jsut PM(private msg) her to say. Either way, anyone wanting to chat about anything french related is welcome

ReputationRep:
    awwww ok ill see if i can manage that! thanks alot! so n e thing at all french related?

ReputationRep:
    ~well it it's called the french society for a reason! :rolleyes:
    so u can ask bout school work, chat in french etc

ReputationRep:
    ok so i need a good topic for my as oral!? ne ideas!?!!!????

ReputationRep:
    Something a bit controversial, ideally. Having a discussion with the examiner does seem to go down well. The obvious ones are things like immigration, le Pen and the headscarves ban, but I'm guessing you're after something a little different? It has to be linked to France in some way; how about the situation with Algeria. I'm guessing most people won't pick that topic and it sounds interesting to me...

ReputationRep:
    Coucou,

I'm in the process of writing my French coursework and I'm very stuck on translating the phrase "in the lead up to". My coursework is on the new EU constitution and the reaction to it from French political parties.

Here's the extract...

Cependant, les entretiens ont donne lieu à beaucoup de débats enflammes entre les gouvernements européens et également entre les différents partis politiques en France, surtout [in the lead up] au referendum en 2005

merci d'avance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Something a bit controversial, ideally. Having a discussion with the examiner does seem to go down well. The obvious ones are things like immigration, le Pen and the headscarves ban, but I'm guessing you're after something a little different? It has to be linked to France in some way; how about the situation with Algeria. I'm guessing most people won't pick that topic and it sounds interesting to me...

hey! thanks for the ideas...to be honest i really do want to do a very controversial current issue because that interests me alot more than the history side of it! wat is le pen? and what situation with algeria??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    same here, i don't know what to do for my speaking.
    ANY ideas, i am sorry for my lack of french i cant seem to get into it today!

ReputationRep:
    i really reall need help!

ReputationRep:
    im doing about les sans-papiers and asylum seekers in france... qhat french people think of them etc... sounds quite good/interesting actually, someone else in my class is talking about la haine, again that sounds like a good topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Or_Kiaz)
    Coucou,

I'm in the process of writing my French coursework and I'm very stuck on translating the phrase "in the lead up to". My coursework is on the new EU constitution and the reaction to it from French political parties.

Here's the extract...

Cependant, les entretiens ont donne lieu à beaucoup de débats enflammes entre les gouvernements européens et également entre les différents partis politiques en France, surtout [in the lead up] au referendum en 2005

merci d'avance
    you could have <<dans l'avance de>> "in the advance of" but im a little stuck on "in the lead up to... ill ask my french exchange partner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Or_Kiaz)
    Coucou,

Here's the extract...

merci d'avance

Pour ma part je dirais : ", et plus particulièrement à propos du référendum de 2005".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlelaura)
    hey! thanks for the ideas...to be honest i really do want to do a very controversial current issue because that interests me alot more than the history side of it! wat is le pen? and what situation with algeria??? :confused:
    Hiya, sorry, I forgot to come looking for this thread!

Jean-Marie le Pen is the leader of le Front National, an extremely right-wing party that did scarily well in the presidential elections in 2002 (I think it was!). Le Pen actually got into the last round of the election for the presidency, coming second to Jacques Chirac. It prompted a huge outcry all over France, because they were so shocked that voter apathy, amongst other things, could lead to a party like that coming so high up in the race. In the last round even people who hated Jacques Chirac voted for him, because they were so scared of le Pen! There are loads of things you could talk about in this one; it covers immigration, politics; you could bring up the 'headscarves ban' - basically just about any controversial issue has been exploited by le Front National to try to gain more voters!

http://www.frontnational.com/ is their website.

The situation with Algeria is quite long and complex, but interesting; Algeria used to be a French colony but became independent relatively recently. However there's still a lot of tension between the Algerians and the French and I think there was an uprising against French citizens living in Algeria very recently. There's a lot more to it than I've put here; I don't know a great deal about it, but it seems very emotive and you could launch into a debate on colonialism and all sorts in your discussion, too

ReputationRep:
    Ancien prof!

Aitch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing French AS and Im continuing to do French A2. Im thinking of doing Computer Science with one year in France at Uni, if not then French/Japanese or both at university would be perfect for me Anyway, I'll join this 'cause it seems like fun!

En ce moment, mes films favorites en francais sont Subway et A la Folie... Pas du tout (Il s'appelle 'He loves me, he loves me not' en anglais). Je vais voir le nouveaux film avec audrey tautou (A very long engagement)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tidasquall)
    Je vais voir le nouveaux film avec audrey tautou (A very long engagement)...
    Moi aussi, j'espere!

Pour changer le sujet (?) de la conversation un peu: le film francais le plus mauvais que vous avez vu - c'est quoi? Pour moi, c'est le Dernier Metro: c'etait simplement bizarre :s:

(sorry for my poor French!)

ReputationRep:
    Ah, les films! Pour moi, tous le films de la nouvelle vague sont bizzare... c'est, peut-être, le fait qu'ils ne sont pas conventionnel :stupid: Après avoir vu "Les 400 coups" de François Truffaut... j'étais un peu déçu. Maintenant, j'écris un exposé de ce film... mes profs m'adorent beaucoup n'est-ce pas :hmpf:

By the way, the closest I've got to "in the lead up to the referendum" is "avec l'approche du referendum" If anyone knows a better phrase I'd be happy to rep

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.