Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi...can I join? I just got an A* in french IGCSE and am going to do it at A level..but im SO scared...i think im gonna fail! is it hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazziecs)
    hi...can I join? I just got an A* in french IGCSE and am going to do it at A level..but im SO scared...i think im gonna fail! is it hard?

Don't you live in Geneva? Aren't you fluent in french already? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I would love to join too!! I've just finished the french AS course and will be doing A2 next year. I also want to study French at uni and am considering either 'French and International Management' or 'French and Italian.'
    This is a really good idea btw priya!
    Sam

Bonjour! ça va?

This is where my French pretty much stops at the moment. I am off to uni this September and would like to study French on the side!
    Has anyone here ever done the Open University French courses? Or can anyone recommend any other courses?

Am I better off doing a distance learning course or a course at college?

ReputationRep:
    hello! :wavey: i would like to join! I got an A* in my GCSE French a year ago and i just got an A for my AS level french. I'm carrying on with french this year for A-level and then i hope to go onto Uni and study French and German

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yourjoyismylow)
    Bonjour! ça va?

This is where my French pretty much stops at the moment. I am off to uni this September and would like to study French on the side!
    Has anyone here ever done the Open University French courses? Or can anyone recommend any other courses?

Am I better off doing a distance learning course or a course at college?
    I would say at a college vs. distance learning. The danger with distance learning on a language - I would imagine - is that you might think you're saying something right (it sounds right to you) but a native French person doesn't understand what you mean. As such, you could end up reinforcing these errors in your head, making it hard to "unlearn" them. The trouble with college based courses I suppose is that if you're doing, for example, 2 hours a week, it isn't really enough. Depends on how urgent you want to learn the language, the other alternative would be a 6 week intensive college course during your summer vacation?

ReputationRep:
    ooooh can i join....i got an A* at GCSE and an A at AS level
    pleeeeease

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour! I have a question, my teacher asked for verbs in passe compose that use etre as an auxiliar with examples...

are these correct?

Je suis venu a ma maison
    Il est mort le dimanche
    Je suis arriver dans la matin.

and how do you say yesterday? and the staircase? and at the trash can?

MOi ( my username is quite ironic, my french isnt so good)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    Bonjour! I have a question, my teacher asked for verbs in passe compose that use etre as an auxiliar with examples...

are these correct?

Je suis venu a ma maison
    Il est mort le dimanche
    Je suis arriver dans la matin.

and how do you say yesterday? and the staircase? and at the trash can?

MOi ( my username is quite ironic, my french isnt so good)
    are you a girl, if so the je should have an extra e, and arriver hasn't been put into the past tense, il est mort is right. hier yesterday, escalier staircase, poubelle bin

ReputationRep:
    Je veux bien faire partie de la société française.
    En fait, il y a un but dans cette société, ou bien on est juste la pour montrer à tout le monde que nous sommes bilingues?

ReputationRep:
    hi, can i join too please. i am desperate to do french at uni, next year. I am trying to write my personal statement at the moment and i have no idea how to start! It's so hard with languages, does anyone have any useful suggestions??

ReputationRep:
    what is marrane?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs. Political)
    what is marrane?
    I think you might mean "marrant" = funny. Or "marron" = brown / or roast chestnuts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jrhartley)
    I think you might mean "marrant" = funny. Or "marron" = brown / or roast chestnuts.
    no it's to do with religion, i have just read the epilogue to un sac de billes jo joffo, he was asked a question about denying his religion, and he was therefore a marrane, i assume it's traitor? but i think that's wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs. Political)
    no it's to do with religion, i have just read the epilogue to un sac de billes jo joffo, he was asked a question about denying his religion, and he was therefore a marrane, i assume it's traitor? but i think that's wrong
    OK. It's a Spanish Jew or Portegeuse Jew converted by force to Catholicism who continues to practise Judaism clandestinely.

ReputationRep:
    OK. It's a Spanish Jew or Portegeuse Jew converted by forced to Catholicism who continues to practise Judaism clandestinely.
    oh right thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm currently doing French A-level and will, hopefully, be doing a degree in French

ReputationRep:
    Who's reading this Absurd book?...(badoom shhhhh)
    I think it's great...anyone got any other amazingly intellectual ideas on it?!

ReputationRep:
    Salut!

J'ai besoin d'inspiration des livres francais que je peux lis. Pas trop difficile mais peut m'aider améliorer mon francais.

Merci beaucoup.

ReputationRep:
    or "marraine" = Godmother!

Aitch

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 16, 2008
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.