I'm really stuck, confused, and I don't know what to do...

Watch
Save.Me
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

So my situation is kind of hard to explain, but I'll try. Basically, I'm 19, and I'm at college at the moment (just done As exams.) Obviously I'm way older than I'm supposed to be. This is because I had to drop out of my first college (at 16), because I was taken to hospital. And last year, I started again at a new college, but again, I had issues. Though I did achieve two As grades, I didn't want to carry on these subjects. I'll be 20 when I get my full A level grades next year. I'm not confident at all.

I was planning on applying to university for 2016 entry (and probably resitting most of my exams). But today I went to an open day/tour of one of the unis I was considering, and they told me I could apply through clearing for a foundation course they offer (to then get onto the full 3 year course.) This is because 80 UCAS points are required, and I currently have 100 UCAS points from what I did last year. This is great for me because I'm honestly sick of college, and I'd love to go to uni, especially since I'm not confident at all for August results.

The problem is...I have no idea at all how to do this, or even where to start. I've been researching this furiously, and I can't find any information :/ Would I be capable of applying to this one university and this one course? When would I even apply, since it's so late already, and what would happen if I got rejected? Would I be able to go onto A2 still?

Any advice would be appreciated? This is stressing me out so much, and I honestly don't know what, or how, to do anything.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Save.Me)
Hello,

So my situation is kind of hard to explain, but I'll try. Basically, I'm 19, and I'm at college at the moment (just done As exams.) Obviously I'm way older than I'm supposed to be. This is because I had to drop out of my first college (at 16), because I was taken to hospital. And last year, I started again at a new college, but again, I had issues. Though I did achieve two As grades, I didn't want to carry on these subjects. I'll be 20 when I get my full A level grades next year. I'm not confident at all.

I was planning on applying to university for 2016 entry (and probably resitting most of my exams). But today I went to an open day/tour of one of the unis I was considering, and they told me I could apply through clearing for a foundation course they offer (to then get onto the full 3 year course.) This is because 80 UCAS points are required, and I currently have 100 UCAS points from what I did last year. This is great for me because I'm honestly sick of college, and I'd love to go to uni, especially since I'm not confident at all for August results.

The problem is...I have no idea at all how to do this, or even where to start. I've been researching this furiously, and I can't find any information :/ Would I be capable of applying to this one university and this one course? When would I even apply, since it's so late already, and what would happen if I got rejected? Would I be able to go onto A2 still?

Any advice would be appreciated? This is stressing me out so much, and I honestly don't know what, or how, to do anything.
You need to make a Ucas application to enter clearing, so you should do that right away. At this point it will send you straight into clearing anyway. You only need to apply to one university if you want. I'd suggest calling the university up again and ask them to go through all the details with you to make sure it's worth your while.

If you get rejected, it makes no difference to going on to do your A2. The two things are not connected.
Save.Me
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
You need to make a Ucas application to enter clearing, so you should do that right away. At this point it will send you straight into clearing anyway. You only need to apply to one university if you want. I'd suggest calling the university up again and ask them to go through all the details with you to make sure it's worth your while.

If you get rejected, it makes no difference to going on to do your A2. The two things are not connected.
Thank you so much! I'm actually in the area of the uni, so I was planning to talk to admissions, anyway
Alice_Hannah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd recommend you see a careers adviser or a UCAS adviser lf you have one at your college, or out of college even. They will talk you through everything and they you will know what to do etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
GABates
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Save.Me)
Hello,

I would recommend meeting with your college careers adviser as they will be able to help you set up an UCAS application.
Will you have achieved A2 levels? As it is worth noting that after achieving your degree and going on to a graduate job some employers still require full A levels.
All the best!
Save.Me
Rep:
?
(Original post by PTHumphreys)
I would recommend meeting with your college careers adviser as they will be able to help you set up an UCAS application.
Will you have achieved A2 levels? As it is worth noting that after achieving your degree and going on to a graduate job some employers still require full A levels.
All the best!
No, I won't have A2s, but I honestly don't think I will get A2s if I stay on at college, anyway. I'm not confident on my exams at all

Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (24)
68.57%
I don't have everything I need (11)
31.43%

Watched Threads