anj4845
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Where are the favourited alternatives to Oxbridge in general. From what I understand, the main ones tend to be:

1) Durham/Bristol/St Andrews
2) UCL/LSE/Imperial
3) York/Edinburgh/Kings

What do you think?
EPluribus Unum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why, are you thinking of becoming an Oxbridge reject?
Need2Study4Exam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
coventry
anj4845
Rep:
?
(Original post by EPluribus Unum)
Why, are you thinking of becoming an Oxbridge reject?
I am an oxbridge reject. I just want to know other people's views from their experience.
aaronlowe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by anj4845)
Where do Oxbridge rejects go?
The pub probably
EPluribus Unum
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am an oxbridge reject. I just want to know other people's views from their experience.
Well they go to the dole queue, because everyone knows your life is over if you don't get into oxbridge.
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It entirely depends. Mostly, Oxbridge applicants will want to go to the best university possible for their subject, and if their application to Oxbridge falls through that will often send them to Durham/UCL (arts subjects), LSE (social sciences) or Imperial (science subjects). Other common ones are York, Edinburgh and Exeter. But it is dependent on the individual and their course choice and what they want in a uni. A boy I know has turned down Oxford for Exeter, and another is going to Lancaster after their rejection from Cambridge.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Harvard.
anj4845
Rep:
?
(Original post by paradoxicalme)
It entirely depends. Mostly, Oxbridge applicants will want to go to the best university possible for their subject, and if their application to Oxbridge falls through that will often send them to Durham/UCL (arts subjects), LSE (social sciences) or Imperial (science subjects). Other common ones are York, Edinburgh and Exeter. But it is dependent on the individual and their course choice and what they want in a uni. A boy I know has turned down Oxford for Exeter, and another is going to Lancaster after their rejection from Cambridge.
I agree with you there. I just find it interesting that Oxbridge rejects tend to go to the likes of Edinburgh, York and Edinburgh over comparable universities like Manchester for example.
Imperion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Little Toy Gun)
Harvard.
It's probably harder to get into Harvard than Oxbridge. I don't think they would consider if they didn't apply in the first place...
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Imperion)
It's probably harder to get into Harvard than Oxbridge. I don't think they would consider if they didn't apply in the first place...
Well, in the link someone was rejected by Oxford but accepted by Harvard, and then Cambridge.
Imperion
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, in the link someone was rejected by Oxford but accepted by Harvard, and then Cambridge.
That's amazing :eek:
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree with you there. I just find it interesting that Oxbridge rejects tend to go to the likes of Edinburgh, York and Edinburgh over comparable universities like Manchester for example.
Edinburgh is Top 20 globally on QS. Manchester is Top 40.
paradoxicalme
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've seen a fair few physicists go to Manchester (Manc is supposed to be very good for physics) but not as many else. However, I have seen several people at my school with Oxbridge-level grades forgo applying to Oxbridge and go for Manchester.
HuggleyDuck
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a Cambridge reject and I'm going to Birmingham.
lllllllllll
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
East London
Paladian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Where are the favourited alternatives to Oxbridge in general. From what I understand, the main ones tend to be:

1) Durham/Bristol/St Andrews
2) UCL/LSE/Imperial
3) York/Edinburgh/Kings

What do you think?

I think you got that just about right. Where are you going to go personally I prefer the toilet?

I guess it depends on what course you're going to study - what are you going to study?
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Harvard.
Good for her for taking responsibility and saying that she simply didn't cut it. I respect that a lot.

They look at different things. You need strong ECs whereas they don't matter for all at Oxbridge. It wouldn't surprise me to see some people with that being accepted by Harvard after being rejected by Oxford. 'Well-roundedness' matters an awful lot more for US schools too. Here, since you pick your subject from the outset, they're basically looking at aptitude for that subject.

On topic, in my experience favourites are Durham, Bristol, ICL, LSE, UCL, KCL.
Danny129
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's amazing :eek:
Haha you can only apply to one of the two not both seems legit
anj4845
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paladian)
I think you got that just about right. Where are you going to go personally I prefer the toilet?

I guess it depends on what course you're going to study - what are you going to study?
My firm is UCL but don't think I've got A*AA so probably going to York which is AAA
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (65)
27.2%
1 (39)
16.32%
2 (40)
16.74%
3 (33)
13.81%
4 (16)
6.69%
5 (20)
8.37%