Will i be able to get into uni without any A levels?

Watch
Sheffield1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello

I'm 20 years old and left school to do a business admin apprenticeship, i gained my nvq level 2 and also my level 3 in this subject but recently i have been feeling very left out with all my friends going to uni. I left the business admin job and moved onto another apprenticeship within IT as i love software and computers. Basically what i need to know is do i need to do any course such as a foundation course to get me into university to do computing/software?

I know it's too late to apply for uni this year but was planning to apply next year, can somebody help me please?

Kind regards,

Josh
Sheffield1995
Rep:
?
I understand nvq level 3 is equivalent to 2 A levels and the level 2 nvq is equivalent to 4-5 GCSE's but i'm not sure if they're enough for the course i want to apply for.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sheffield1995)
Hello

I'm 20 years old and left school to do a business admin apprenticeship, i gained my nvq level 2 and also my level 3 in this subject but recently i have been feeling very left out with all my friends going to uni. I left the business admin job and moved onto another apprenticeship within IT as i love software and computers. Basically what i need to know is do i need to do any course such as a foundation course to get me into university to do computing/software?

I know it's too late to apply for uni this year but was planning to apply next year, can somebody help me please?

Kind regards,

Josh
You need to contact the universities directly and ask, because they assess mature students on a case by case basis. I'd guess they will suggest an access course, though.
Sheffield1995
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
You need to contact the universities directly and ask, because they assess mature students on a case by case basis. I'd guess they will suggest an access course, though.
how long do these access courses take? and also will I complete in time before september of next yr.

Thanks,
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
how long do these access courses take? and also will I complete in time before september of next yr.

Thanks,
It's a one year course, so get your skates on and yes, you could. It's not my area, though, so I suggest you post in the mature students forum for advice from people who have done one or are about to start one.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I understand nvq level 3 is equivalent to 2 A levels and the level 2 nvq is equivalent to 4-5 GCSE's but i'm not sure if they're enough for the course i want to apply for.
have you got your english and maths gcses at a c?
Sheffield1995
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
have you got your english and maths gcses at a c?
My english is a C but my maths is a D, i have gone to college and got my functional skills level 2 maths.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My english is a C but my maths is a D, i have gone to college and got my functional skills level 2 maths.
not every uni takes level 2 functional skills for some courses so i d look into doing your maths next summer so you ve more options as to which unis you can apply to
sydneybridge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You need to contact a few Unis offering the course you want and tell them what qualifications you have.
They will probably suggest that you do something to bring you up to speed/give you confidence before you start a degree - like an Access course, a Foundation course or an Open University module - especially since your previous qualifications are not in a relevant area.

This is the sort of course that might be acceptable :
Sheffield Uni - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/dcs/unde...foundationyear
UWE (Bristol) - http://courses.uwe.ac.uk/G403/2015
Bourneville College (Birmingham) - http://www.bournville.ac.uk/courses/...-in-computing/
mjrd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello

Kind regards,

Josh
Phone some unis and see what they say. Maybe they will accept you with a good personal statement and maybe you can do a years foundation year. If not maybe you could get into col this year and do a yrs access course first.
Sheffield1995
Rep:
?
Will I achieve a foundation/access module in time to apply for sept 2016.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Will I achieve a foundation/access module in time to apply for sept 2016.
You will apply as people do with A levels and get a conditional offer.
holly_1994
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, of course you can. Some unis like you to sit an Access course first, but I have friends at uni who just called up and explained their situation, and then had to sit interviews, etc. to receive an offer.

My brother is in his early 30s and has no A levels. He called Leeds university and was told that he had to sit a maths paper and have an interview. He did both and has now just finished his first year, but they made him sit a Foundation Year first so, technically, this is his second. I think the maths paper was GCSE-type level, but it was just to see what he knew and what he didn't know.

All unis are different, and where one might ask you to jump through hoops, another will be more relaxed. The best thing to do is to simply call the universities you are interested in and ask where they stand.

Good luck with everything
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (178)
28.48%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.28%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.32%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
8%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.16%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.92%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.2%

Watched Threads