The Student Room Group

Why might Kant be considered controversial?

So I have to answer the question "Why might Kant be considered controversial?" I have googled it but all the results tend to be long essays which don't give a simple and direct answer that I can develop on. I'm just looking for a couple of simple reasons....

If anyone can help that would be great!
Reply 1
Original post by KateF14
So I have to answer the question "Why might Kant be considered controversial?" I have googled it but all the results tend to be long essays which don't give a simple and direct answer that I can develop on. I'm just looking for a couple of simple reasons....

If anyone can help that would be great!

Kant defends the position of telling the truth to someone always, even if that someone intends to kill another.

Kant's rational approach to morality can be considered to create the 'principle of absurdity' (a principle used in ethics/philosophy and law when if someone so literally approaches something, it can be considered absurd) by so rigidly adhering to notions of 'duty' 'good will' and the categorical imperative. All three of which are debatablely subjective and objectively lacking in empirical justification.

Quick Reply

Latest