The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading Clearing 2015

Hey, I really want to go to the University of Reading to study 'Consumer Behaviour and Marketing' (requiring ABB) but they didn't give me an offer due to grades :frown: I was wondering if any of you guys have/know any stories about clearing at UoR? Like does anyone know anyone that was accepted with lower grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alice_Hannah
Hey, I really want to go to the University of Reading to study 'Consumer Behaviour and Marketing' (requiring ABB) but they didn't give me an offer due to grades :frown: I was wondering if any of you guys have/know any stories about clearing at UoR? Like does anyone know anyone that was accepted with lower grades?

If they rejected your application initially they are very unlikely to take you through clearing - unless perhaps you exceed your predicted grades significantly.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
If they rejected your application initially they are very unlikely to take you through clearing - unless perhaps you exceed your predicted grades significantly.

But I thought the whole point in clearing is that they're filling spaces and accept lower grades? :frown:
But I thought the whole point in clearing is that they're filling spaces and accept lower grades? :frown:

It is, but Reading have already looked at your application once and didn't think it strong enough to make an offer. Therefore there might be factors other than your actual and predicted grades - such as your PS and reference - that they don't particularly like. Therefore even if you get much better grades than expected they still might be unimpressed.

On the topic of grades, what do you have already and what are you predicted? What do you think you will get?

FYI, both the three-year and the four-year sandwich course were in clearing in 2013 and 2014. However, that does not mean they will be so this year. If they are, you might get lucky despite my suppositions above!
Reply 4
It is, but Reading have already looked at your application once and didn't think it strong enough to make an offer. Therefore there might be factors other than your actual and predicted grades - such as your PS and reference - that they don't particularly like. Therefore even if you get much better grades than expected they still might be unimpressed.

On the topic of grades, what do you have already and what are you predicted? What do you think you will get?

FYI, both the three-year and the four-year sandwich course were in clearing in 2013 and 2014. However, that does not mean they will be so this year. If they are, you might get lucky despite my suppositions above!

Last year I got ABE in the subjects I continued
Last year I got ABE in the subjects I continued

Official predictions? Your own post-exam forecast?
Surely you'd go through adjustment instead.

Is this the same for adjustment

Reading are lenient, but then again clearing all hinges on how many spaces they have left after they accept people (and yes, this even includes people who just missed their offer). I'm going into my third year at Reading and yeah I do know people who got in via clearing
Original post by Crystalz
Surely you'd go through adjustment instead.

Is this the same for adjustment

Not quite sure what you mean by your first statement. Adjustment is for those who exceed their firm offer. If the OP has an offer to exceed then yes that is possible but my comments about her prior rejection stand.

If a course is in clearing then it will also be available in adjustment. Is that what you are asking?
Reply 9
Official predictions? Your own post-exam forecast?

My predictions have always been C/D because my teachers are too lazy to actually think about it, I reckon I got BCD overall
Original post by James A
Reading are lenient, but then again clearing all hinges on how many spaces they have left after they accept people (and yes, this even includes people who just missed their offer). I'm going into my third year at Reading and yeah I do know people who got in via clearing

This gives me some hope :smile: Do you know how far off the initial requirement they were?
My predictions have always been C/D because my teachers are too lazy to actually think about it, I reckon I got BCD overall

You achieved ABE at AS-level yet were predicted CCC at best?

BCD is a long way off ABB.
This gives me some hope :smile: Do you know how far off the initial requirement they were?

People on ABB offers got let in with BBB, that's the only sort of offers I know (was for pharmacy)
Original post by James A
People on ABB offers got let in with BBB, that's the only sort of offers I know (was for pharmacy)

Eh I'm just hoping they're less fussy on grades with non-medical related degrees as they're less demanding aren't they
Reply 14
Hi, I've been thinking of applying to Reading through Clearing. If the minimum requirements for a course is BBB, will I be able to get in with BBC? I'm also an international student if that makes any difference.

(I applied to start at the uni in September 2015, got an offer but rejected thinking I wouldn't be able to get in. Big mistake because I really want to go now!)
Original post by MayTaher
Hi, I've been thinking of applying to Reading through Clearing. If the minimum requirements for a course is BBB, will I be able to get in with BBC? I'm also an international student if that makes any difference.

(I applied to start at the uni in September 2015, got an offer but rejected thinking I wouldn't be able to get in. Big mistake because I really want to go now!)

Hi May,

As you are only one grade off, it would definitely be worth giving our Clearing hotline a call to see if there are still places on the course you are interested in and to check their grade boundaries for this. You can give them a call now on 0118 402 0900.

Good luck! :smile:

Phil
Student Recruitment & Outreach team
Reply 16
Original post by James A

They asked me for ABB (Geography) and I got in with BCD, with the C in Geography :l
Anyone else still waiting for Reading Admissions team to respond to them? I've called them at least 7 times(6/7 couldn't get through queue) and when I finally got through they told me they'd contact me back but it's been 2 days now o.o ?

I understand they're busy but I'd really like to know for sure whether they've got an offer for me or not, hopefully they'll be able to respond tomorrow morning.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just got a worrying email from reading.

It thanked me for applying and said they were considering, saying they'd get back in four weeks, as if I were applying normally rather than in clearing.

Problem is, I called them up yesterday and got offered a clearing place later that day, with and email as well as phone call. Added them into ucas track as clearing option , then got this email about a day later.

I'm pretty worried about this, was wondering if anyone knows what is going on or if anyone else has the same experience.
I got that too. Has anyone had a response in track yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending