abdullahasim1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm currently doing A-levels with Biology, Chemistry, Math and Physics as my subjects (Predicted Grades are A*A*A*A). The course I intend to apply for (at Cambridge) is Geography. My question is, will not having Geography as a subject disadvantage me in any way as an applicant?

(Hoping some Cambridge Geography Undergrads could help out. Thanks )
xXxSharkxXx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why did you not do Geography A-level? It will raise some questions.
abdullahasim1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by xXxSharkxXx)
Why did you not do Geography A-level? It will raise some questions.
My school didn't offer it as a subject
xXxSharkxXx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's fine then, as long as you make that clear in your SAQ or your referee states it in their reference then you should be cool, as long as you can show an interest for Geography.
xXxSharkxXx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh, I forgot to say, make sure you have UMS scores of above 85% on average to get an interview.
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by abdullahasim1)
I'm currently doing A-levels with Biology, Chemistry, Math and Physics as my subjects (Predicted Grades are A*A*A*A). The course I intend to apply for (at Cambridge) is Geography. My question is, will not having Geography as a subject disadvantage me in any way as an applicant?

Their admission requirement says you don't need to have studied geography a-level to apply geography, so in theory it shouldn't be a problem.....hopefully . (Though a but unusual.... I know quite a few geographers - more than 10- at Cambridge but all of them did a-level geography . )
My bigger concern is that all the subjects you're doing are science/maths based and not doing any essay subject. You really, really need to have good essay skills to do geography at university level, so that may be a problem.
Because Geography is a cross-over subject of both science and arts, most of successful applicants have done at least one subject from each. Without any essay-based A-level subject (= arts), you'll probably have to prove somehow you have the ability.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by abdullahasim1)

According to this FOI request...
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ral_science_qu
...of 270 successful geography applicants at Cambridge between 2012 and 2014 application cycles, 1 does not have Geography A-Level. (They had A*A*A*A Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish, and 10* at GCSE).

BUT, given your circumstances, who's to say you can't be another successful non-Geography A-level applicant.
BWCW
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do geography and while everyone I know has done the A-level, it isn't an entry requirement. Another poster was right in saying that you will have to demonstrate your ability to write essays/form arguments as your A-levels don't really cover that... but you'll be well prepared for the physical side of the course! If your UMS is high enough, then I'd say give it a shot but be prepared to argue for your place.
mespannerhanz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As others have said, Geography isn't needed and having just finished geography degree at Cambridge, I can see why! Geography at Cambridge is very very different from A Level. I don't see a problem with your A level subjects. Give it a go!
mjrd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Give them a ring but as long as you exlain your school didnt offer it and they dont ask for it i cant see why it would be a prob. Some unis ask for geog to study geog or earth sciences but i think you should be ok. Geog is great, esp physical, i cant wait to study more in uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
30%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.09%
No I am happy with my choice (60)
54.55%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.36%

Watched Threads