Woul you date a person five years older/younger than you? Where is the cut off point? Watch

HiMark
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am referring to people in their 20s and 30s but if you are older or younger you can of course also provide me with your sentiment.
Personally (age 27), five years younger and three years older is as far as I would go.

I would still feel a little bit uncomfortable (referring to be the older individual in the relationship) but it is still manageable, I believe.What is your view?
TheTipsyTarsier
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would go 10 years older...and about 3 years younger. Am 24.
Riyaax
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm 20 this month. I wouldn't date someone younger than me, but my maximum age gap is 10 years.
Sabuntu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm 19. I would date someone 2 years younger at most. I would date someone 4 years older at most.

However the problem is that the older the person the more they expect to be with somebody that has a job, car and a savings acount for a mortgage etc
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm 23, I guess I'd date 5 years younger, older not really tbh.
Sam280297
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
At 18, the youngest I'd go would be 16 (maybe 15 at a push) and the oldest I'd go would be around 21/22
In about 5 years time I'd go for a wider range, maybe between 18 and 35
Zamestaneh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(n/2)+6 rule

20/2+6 = 16

20-5 = 15

16 > 15

QED
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My husband is just over 7 years older than me.

I'd go up to about 10 years older, but it's not a line set in stone. As for younger, I dunno, I've never dated anyone younger than me before. I guess a few years at my age would make no difference.
willock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HiMark)
I am referring to people in their 20s and 30s but if you are older or younger you can of course also provide me with your sentiment.
Personally (age 27), five years younger and three years older is as far as I would go.

I would still feel a little bit uncomfortable (referring to be the older individual in the relationship) but it is still manageable, I believe.What is your view?
I'm 23 and would have no problem dating an 18 year old so 5 years down but no younger. Went out with a 27 year old when I was 18 but what 18 year old boy wouldn't. wouldn't want anyone more than a year or 2 older now though unless its Cheryl cole or Susan Boyle
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Male

I'd have sex with 16-39.

I'd be in a relationship with 18-29.
Zizi11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
3 years younger is the cut off point and I don't know about older. I guess as long as we still can relate to each other, I would be okay with it.
liquidconfidence
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Apparently, there is this rule for how young you should date which is:
'Half of your age, plus seven'

Also, I am quite young myself so I wouldn't date any younger, only my age and above lol
liquidconfidence
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sam280297)
At 18, the youngest I'd go would be 16 (maybe 15 at a push) and the oldest I'd go would be around 21/22
In about 5 years time I'd go for a wider range, maybe between 18 and 35
Oh, it's interesting that you would date younger
liquidconfidence
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zamestaneh)
(n/2)+6 rule

20/2+6 = 16

20-5 = 15

16 > 15

QED
I know that rule, but with plus 7 instead of 6
DisguisedToast
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I'd say it depends on your age. I reckon the older you get, the bigger the range gets.
cake_lover
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
21 here. I'd say 4 years younger and 2 years older.

It will probably change as I get older.
HeinrichBercht
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yes i would. all that matters are the feelings at the end. not the age. but i think it would be difficult if you are 18 and she/he is 35 because there will be huge differences in what you want from life and what makesyou happy. at least for most people.
ScottishShortiex
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm just approaching 22, so would probably date 5/6 years older at most or 1/2 years younger. No one below 20 years of age. 20-27 would be my age range.
Talus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Labelling a human based on their number of years above or below you really isn't the way to go about a relationship. If you're both consenting adults, and you both are on the same wavelength about life, then it shouldn't matter tbf
harry734
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I'm 17 so certainly wouldn't go five years younger! I suppose 16 would be the lower limit and older i don't really care, I'd be fine with a woman in her twenties but she wouldn't be happy with me most likely
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (61)
35.67%
I really love the subject (44)
25.73%
I don't know what else to do (22)
12.87%
I can't get a job (13)
7.6%
My parents want me to (4)
2.34%