Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, I just sat Paper 1 of Add Maths from CIE now. I thought it was a decent enough paper, tricky but at least I got what seems like reasonable answers for all the questions. Any others apart from me sitting this paper? I know very few do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spy_Lord)
    Hey people, I just sat Paper 1 of Add Maths from CIE now. I thought it was a decent enough paper, tricky but at least I got what seems like reasonable answers for all the questions. Any others apart from me sitting this paper? I know very few do.
    hey im doing economics CIE, and its a ***** of an exam. u doin anyting else apart from maths?

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting it to be easy, but it was kind of tricky. Especially the question with the trig equation. I didn't realise that the lowest value of asinbx would be -2, I thought it would be 0. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    hey im doing economics CIE, and its a ***** of an exam. u doin anyting else apart from maths?
    Not from CIE, the rest is all AQA/Edexcel.

I was expecting it to be easy, but it was kind of tricky. Especially the question with the trig equation. I didn't realise that the lowest value of asinbx would be -2, I thought it would be 0. Oh well.
    Eh? What question was that? Was it the one which gives you the curve y=(ax+3)lnx, and asks you to find the value of a from the normal to it at the point where it intercepts the x-axis etc etc?

I got a=2 for that . . dunno if thats right.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I got a=2 for that (or 3, I don't remember), but I'm talking about either question 3 or 4.

f(x) = asinbx + c, find the a and b such that the periodity of f(x) is... etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that one I didn't find it too bad. a=2, b=3, c=1, or something like that. Besides it was only 3 or 4 marks.

The relative velocity and the part ii) of the binomial question were the ones that I left till the last minutes. I got 28.7 degrees for the relative velocity, and something like k=2/n-2 for the binomial, I can't really remember. I crossed out two whole pages of working out for binomial because I went about it the wrong way at first. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened to me in question 1 -- I didn't see the -1 in 3x-1 at first, so I wasted quite some time.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I don't even remember question 1, what was it again?

Lets see, tomorrow: vectors, sets, surds, factor+remainder theorem, kinematics, log equations, rates of change, small changes, some proving of LHS=RHS trig . . . anything else?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if we'll get a factor/remainder question tomorrow, as we got one today. I'm thinking we'll get a couple of functions questions (range/domain/inverse, that kinda stuff), and probably something that involves b²-4ac.

ReputationRep:
    Hey good guesses! They really went crazy on functions this time, 2 on one paper :eek:

I thought paper 2 was damn easy, I finished in an hour and was so bored I did both choices of no. 12 just for the heck of it. How did you find this paper?

Quite funny, I think that's the first paper I've seen where there's no rates of change . . oh well.

ReputationRep:
    I was shocked when I didn't see a rate of change question. Very weird.

It was easy, but not too easy, and kinda delicate. I mean, one little oversight on your part, and you'd screw yourself over. It was a hassle trying to prove that 1/c + 1/d = sqrt(5), and then I realised it was -sqrt(20) NOT sqrt(2), and had to do it all again.

I think both papers weren't too easy, and they weren't too hard. They were almost fair. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Hehe for that I had the benefit of a calculator that could do quadratics and that was still allowed in the exam! Some old casio model, but overlooked on forbidden calculator list .

Yeah the questions were decently humane in that their approach wasn't too weird. I'm pretty happy with them overall, although I still don't know about the relative velocity one.

Oh well that's Add Maths over with . . it can only get better.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE or A/AS Level?

ReputationRep:
    Kind of in-between . . I believe it counts as a GCSE but it covers topics from P1, P2 and a little bit of P3 I think, plus some mechanics like kinematics. All in one year, 2.5 hours a week of lesson time. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing additional maths but not the CIE, i'm doing OCR FSMQ, i don't think there is as much content in mine, just P1 really. I've not had the exam yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spy_Lord)
    Kind of in-between . . I believe it counts as a GCSE but it covers topics from P1, P2 and a little bit of P3 I think, plus some mechanics like kinematics. All in one year, 2.5 hours a week of lesson time. :mad:
    O-LeveL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    O-LeveL?
    Yeah

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 8, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.