37.5%
I'm not sure/Mixed feelings (4)
8.33%
GuppyFox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Alcohol and drugs - would you consider them the same?

I was reading an opinion piece recently on this on gizmodo and was wanting to know the views from everybody here about this controversial topic.

The main argument against the decriminalization of drug use would be that more people would have access to drugs, but I believe that particular problem is no issue. This is because, as with alcohol, sensible use would be the norm by the vast majority, and most drug-related problems actually arise from the illegal trade and grey areas of the business.

Further-more, any kind of abuse is best handled by treating the subject at hand. Why should our government be shaming and jailing drug users when it is clear that there is an addiction that could be solved by medical treatment? In a country that gives so much freedom and rights to the people, it's hard to believe that so many people are being told no to something that they find pleasure in.

The reason this article inspired me most was because of their answer to this debate. Are people mostly in favor, but politics are standing in the way for everything to come into fruition? Or that it would be a good thing, but people don't realize why?

David Cameron or any high-hoping MP would not want to end their careers so suddenly by being in favor of something that is so controversial, and the Lib Dems stance didn't help all that well during the general election last month. But at the same time perhaps there is not enough proof of real world positive results, for example the article says there has been mixed results in Portugal after law changes.

So what's your view, are you for or against having drugs legislated?

’CT’

(Original post by Captain Jack)
x
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
(Original post by She-Ra)
x
(Original post by Queen Cersei)
x
(Original post by Jeanlucpicard)
x
(Original post by Shooks)
x
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GuppyPool95)
Alcohol and drugs - would you consider them the same?

I was reading an opinion piece recently on this on gizmodo and was wanting to know the views from everybody here about this controversial topic.

The main argument against the decriminalization of drug use would be that more people would have access to drugs, but I believe that particular problem is no issue. This is because, as with alcohol, sensible use would be the norm by the vast majority, and most drug-related problems actually arise from the illegal trade and grey areas of the business.

Further-more, any kind of abuse is best handled by treating the subject at hand. Why should our government be shaming and jailing drug users when it is clear that there is an addiction that could be solved by medical treatment? In a country that gives so much freedom and rights to the people, it's hard to believe that so many people are being told no to something that they find pleasure in.

The reason this article inspired me most was because of their answer to this debate. Are people mostly in favor, but politics are standing in the way for everything to come into fruition? Or that it would be a good thing, but people don't realize why?

David Cameron or any high-hoping MP would not want to end their careers so suddenly by being in favor of something that is so controversial, and the Lib Dems stance didn't help all that well during the general election last month. But at the same time perhaps there is not enough proof of real world positive results, for example the article says there has been mixed results in Portugal after law changes.

So what's your view, are you for or against having drugs legislated?

’CT’

We dont have enough people in drug addiction services to be able to treat everybody effectively as it is so i d worry if they d legalise it we d have way more people with addictions who may resort to crime therefore giving the addiction services more than they can handle since the waiting lists can be a good month already. We d have to look at improving these services massively if they thought of legalising them, if anything i dont have a problem if they were to decide to restrict alcohol more but then that loses the government tax money and the uks too big on binge drinking i think
Castro Saint
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am 100% in favour of ALL drugs to be legalised and regulated. There's no doubt in my head that this is a step in the right direction.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some drugs, yes. Some drugs, no.
GuppyFox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
We dont have enough people in drug addiction services to be able to treat everybody effectively as it is so i d worry if they d legalise it we d have way more people with addictions who may resort to crime therefore giving the addiction services more than they can handle since the waiting lists can be a good month already. We d have to look at improving these services massively if they thought of legalising them, if anything i dont have a problem if they were to decide to restrict alcohol more but then that loses the government tax money and the uks too big on binge drinking i think
So lets say drugs were legal and were taxed in a similar vein to alcohol. Part of the revenue from these tax receipts could go towards helping out the addicts with care and treatment, hiring expert doctors, and also funding research into curing addiction. Would that not be a good thing?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GuppyPool95)
So lets say drugs were legal and were taxed in a similar vein to alcohol. Part of the revenue from these tax receipts could go towards helping out the addicts with care and treatment, hiring expert doctors, and also funding research into curing addiction. Would that not be a good thing?
It would depends on how badly legislation of drugs would increase demand, they d need to put a lot of money into a addiction services to ensure they even managed to cut waiting times, an addict wants help there and then and not everyone is able to wait long enough for their appointment for the help. Theres reasonable treatments for addiction now we dont need to fund research unless its into other opiate substitutes as methadone doesnt work for everyone.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Some drugs, yes. Some drugs, no.
what distinction do you make? addictiveness? lethality?
in terms of addictiveness, MDMA, LSD, DMT, shrooms, weed etc aren't addictive
in terms of lethality, LSD, DMT, shrooms and weed aren't potentially toxic/lethal (these things aren't even dangerous in and of themselves)

lethal drugs include: cigarettes, alcohol, cocaine, meth and heroin
addictive drugs include all of those things, funnily enough

so if addictiveness and lethality are the criteria of illegality (I don't know what else would be), then are you saying that cigarettes, alcohol, coke, meth and heroin should be the only drugs that should be illegal and that psychedelics, cannabis and ecstasy should be legalised?

and by the way, I think it's abundantly clear that if alcohol and cigarettes can exist in society without any issues, then all drugs can be legal too - regarding the extra cost on the NHS (if we are to even cover that on the NHS), like cigarettes, drugs can just be taxed to pay for that.
Tazmain
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Keep that laws as they are, or make them stricter!
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tazmain)
Keep that laws as they are, or make them stricter!
in what sense do you think this would be a good thing? because the law as it is isn't working. and stricter laws would only do worse.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
what distinction do you make? addictiveness? lethality?
in terms of addictiveness, MDMA, LSD, DMT, shrooms, weed etc aren't addictive
in terms of lethality, LSD, DMT, shrooms and weed aren't potentially toxic/lethal (these things aren't even dangerous in and of themselves)

lethal drugs include: cigarettes, alcohol, cocaine, meth and heroin
addictive drugs include all of those things, funnily enough

so if addictiveness and lethality are the criteria of illegality (I don't know what else would be), then are you saying that cigarettes, alcohol, coke, meth and heroin should be the only drugs that should be illegal and that psychedelics, cannabis and ecstasy should be legalised?

and by the way, I think it's abundantly clear that if alcohol and cigarettes can exist in society without any issues, then all drugs can be legal too - regarding the extra cost on the NHS (if we are to even cover that on the NHS), like cigarettes, drugs can just be taxed to pay for that.
I freely admit that I'm not as clued up as some but my distinction would be any drug that, if taken improperly, would kill instantly. Or any that can do significant harm quickly even if taken in small doses.

To my mind, that doesn't include cigarettes and alcohol, but would include heroin, for example.
PrinceOfOrange
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
of course not, we should be looking into why people feel the need to be inebriated rather than increasing their options to do so
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I freely admit that I'm not as clued up as some but my distinction would be any drug that, if taken improperly, would kill instantly. Or any that can do significant harm quickly even if taken in small doses.

To my mind, that doesn't include cigarettes and alcohol, but would include heroin, for example.
I'm pretty sure that would include alcohol, though? I seriously almost died from alcohol poisoning 2 years ago - alcohol is clearly a dangerous substance. it's just not quite as addictive as heroin for it to destroy your life, and that's the distinction that I would draw between the two, not lethality

with cigarettes, they can *still* kill you and give you lung cancer - is instantaneousness really a dividing factor when death can be the result either way?
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PrinceOfOrange)
of course not, we should be looking into why people feel the need to be inebriated rather than increasing their options to do so
In a way, having a regulated system would give us more control over how care is delivered to addicts. We'd know who they are, where they live, and what substances they are using. No one is really suggesting here that high-level addiction is something to be celebrated, but a regulated scheme is the lesser of two evils. And really, the majority of people who do use are not high-level addicts; they will use socially with friends. The question of why they need to be inebriated is a moot one.
deborarosa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I guess people will always use them anyway so if they're legal they will actually be able to be regulated better (same for prostitution)- also some people try drugs just for the euphoria of them being illegal lolllll so if drugs are legalised, there might even be a drop in the amount of people using
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by deborarosa)
I guess people will always use them anyway so if they're legal they will actually be able to be regulated better (same for prostitution)- also some people try drugs just for the euphoria of them being illegal lolllll so if drugs are legalised, there might even be a drop in the amount of people using
that's actually completely true in the case of portugal
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm pretty sure that would include alcohol, though? I seriously almost died from alcohol poisoning 2 years ago - alcohol is clearly a dangerous substance. it's just not quite as addictive as heroin for it to destroy your life, and that's the distinction that I would draw between the two, not lethality

with cigarettes, they can *still* kill you and give you lung cancer - is instantaneousness really a dividing factor when death can be the result either way?
But alcohol only kills if taken in very large doses, far outside the parameters for the vast majority of people.

And yes, instant lethality from relatively small is a decider for me. Otherwise, why not ban chocolate? That's lethal in big enough doses.
deborarosa
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
that's actually completely true in the case of portugal
yhh im sure it'll be the same in the UK too lol...people do it just to feel cool theyre breaking the law
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But alcohol only kills if taken in very large doses, far outside the parameters for the vast majority of people.

And yes, instant lethality from relatively small is a decider for me. Otherwise, why not ban chocolate? That's lethal in big enough doses.
you can die instantly from too many paracetamols, right? are they bad enough to be illegal too? or should heroin only be given in specific doses?
TomatoLounge
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't see how its any of the governments business.
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you can die instantly from too many paracetamols, right? are they bad enough to be illegal too? or should heroin only be given in specific doses?
Not paracetamol, they have a nauseous agent in them which causes you to vomit if you take too many.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
67.79%
No I haven't decided yet (28)
18.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.42%

Watched Threads