Squat and Bench form check

Watch
Et Tu, Brute?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Posted in the blog but thought I would likely get a wider audience here.

https://youtu.be/Yoo5IJvj83Q

Squat here is 70kg, first part is set 1 and the second is set 3.

Same for the bench but at 55kg. Been working on form for it recently, I used to go straight up and down. So moving the bar diagonally still feels a little odd to me at the minute. So appreciate any criticism there also.

Didn't plan on doing deadlifts today, but I thought since I had my camera and there was 50kg on the bar already I may as well get a set for some feedback. As I didn't plan on doing any I never looked over the important ques to check my form. So end result, a truly awful (even by my standards) deadlift form, I know for a fact I can do much better than this, and I knew this without needing to watch the video. But none the less, any critisism will probably help me to remember the important ques without having to watch some Alan Thrall videos before the gym.

Just like to add, the excessive leaning back at the final deadlift pull was a first, not sure what that was, never happened before. Also I forgot to take the wide angle off, so I appreciate it probably isn't as clear cut as possible to review my form exactly, but anything at all it a massive help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It looks largely good to me. You're exaggerating the backwards movements of the squat too much imo, and your lower back rounds early - either flexibility issues or not engaging your erector spinae on the descent. Bench I think the backwards and forwards is exaggerated too much again, but largely okay. Hips starting high on the deadlift.
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
It looks largely good to me. You're exaggerating the backwards movements of the squat too much imo, and your lower back rounds early - either flexibility issues or not engaging your erector spinae on the descent. Bench I think the backwards and forwards is exaggerated too much again, but largely okay. Hips starting high on the deadlift.
Definitely a lot of inflexibility. Weakish core as well probably. I'm really good at the plank but not sure what other core exercises I should do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Agree with Hype plus I'm not convinced your bench set up is good, hard to tell for sure though it looks a bit half effort. You want shoulders back and arch to get your whole upper body tight and plant your feet to get your lower body tight.
T.I.P
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
Posted in the blog but thought I would likely get a wider audience here.

https://youtu.be/Yoo5IJvj83Q

Squat here is 70kg, first part is set 1 and the second is set 3.

Same for the bench but at 55kg. Been working on form for it recently, I used to go straight up and down. So moving the bar diagonally still feels a little odd to me at the minute. So appreciate any criticism there also.

Didn't plan on doing deadlifts today, but I thought since I had my camera and there was 50kg on the bar already I may as well get a set for some feedback. As I didn't plan on doing any I never looked over the important ques to check my form. So end result, a truly awful (even by my standards) deadlift form, I know for a fact I can do much better than this, and I knew this without needing to watch the video. But none the less, any critisism will probably help me to remember the important ques without having to watch some Alan Thrall videos before the gym.

Just like to add, the excessive leaning back at the final deadlift pull was a first, not sure what that was, never happened before. Also I forgot to take the wide angle off, so I appreciate it probably isn't as clear cut as possible to review my form exactly, but anything at all it a massive help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Training for anal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
(Original post by BKS)
Agree with Hype plus I'm not convinced your bench set up is good, hard to tell for sure though it looks a bit half effort. You want shoulders back and arch to get your whole upper body tight and plant your feet to get your lower body tight.
Ok will work on that. All I do for set up is bring my feet far enough back so that I can drive into the floor hard enough but doesn't let the butt leave the bench. And bringing shoulder blades together tightly. Though often feel my feet are about to slip on the wooden platform though.

Are there any other points I should be including?

What about the travel direction of the bar? Felt a bit ****ed when I was pressing tbh. Should it be more straight up and down than what I am doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok will work on that. All I do for set up is bring my feet far enough back so that I can drive into the floor hard enough but doesn't let the butt leave the bench. And bringing shoulder blades together tightly. Though often feel my feet are about to slip on the wooden platform though.

Are there any other points I should be including?

What about the travel direction of the bar? Felt a bit ****ed when I was pressing tbh. Should it be more straight up and down than what I am doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try taking your shoes and socks off. I do it for sumos on one of the types of platforms in my gym cause my flat shoes don't have much grip

Try different set up methods, you'll find one you like. Just always work on tighter then tighter again.If you don't know where to start, start with as pictured at the bottom of this

Where does the bar touch your chest at the bottom? Relative to the bottom of your sternum and nipples
Ladystephanina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With squat make sure you are using quads to push it up (also agree over exaggerating the backwards movement slightly). You are getting nice and low and chest is up though so looked pretty good tbf.
Bench needs to be less diagonal, yes and I would say it needs to be hitting slightly higher on your chest but hard to tell properly from the vid.
Deadlift you need to start with your ass/hips a little lower and bring your chest a bit further over the bar and remember to push with legs and not drag it up through your back. Also you're rushing which is why you ended up rocking back at the end.
The Blind Monk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Warning: incoming wall of text.

Squat
You may find my how to squat post in the FAQ handy.

You are too far back on your heels. It looks as if you are about to fall over between your bottom point and parallel because the bar isn't firmly over the middle of your foot. You want a tripod foot position. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UR7KblIL60 explains this quite well in my opinion. The cues to push your knees out and to sit back are intended to cure the (common) issue of knee valgus and weight on the toes. You probably have too much weight on the outside and back of the foot, where it would be better to evenly distribute between the 3 points of the tripod.

You also look like you are over extended in the top position. Brace your abs (as if you are going to be punched) and flex your glutes in the top position to bring yourself into a more neutral position. As people are saying, it looks as if you are exaggerating backwards motion too much.

If looks as if you would benefit from wearing (weightlifting) shoes. To test this out, just slap a 1.25kg or 2.5kg plate underneath each heel when you next squat. You'll be able to tell pretty quickly whether you prefer this heel lift or not. You look as if you have insufficient ankle dorsiflexion (this may also be a technical issue as you keep sitting back after about parallel instead of allowing more forward knee travel.) Your second set is better than the first in this respect.

Bench
I don't know whether you care or not but your current foot position is illegal under IPF rules. For that particular foot position, you would want your feet to be further towards the bar and you should feel excruciatingly tight in that set up (for powerlifting purposes.) You also want to be pushing your heels down in this style of benching. It is impossible to get your heels to the floor when they are tucked underneath you in this way but you should attempt to do so. This will make you tighter. If you time the contraction, you can also get leg drive from this method. Regardless, you could be tighter in the legs which would make you lift more in a safer manner.

You have a bit too much forward-backward movement but the more interesting thing to me is that your forearm does not appear to be vertical at the top position. It looks as if you don't look too stable at the top position. An important thing to remember is that you want your forearm to be vertical at both the top and the bottom position (and directly underneath the bar at that.) It looks as if you would benefit from a slightly more flared position at both the top and bottom position (and/or a false grip though of course you should be aware this is slightly more dangerous.) This would reduce the amount of forward-backward movement you have and help to bring the pec into the movement a bit more. People tend to forget that a vertical forearm is not just a product of the point where the bar touches your body but also the degree of flare/tuck that you have.

It also looks as if you are not very stable in the upper back. I like to pull myself up, row a few inches up and flex my shoulder blades back and down, then to push myself down into the bench. The 'so you think you can bench' videos from EliteFTS are quite good on this particular point in my opinion. You should feel rock solid, very tight and somewhat uncomfortable in this position. There shouldn't be much (if any) bar sway in the top position.

For powerlifting purposes, you would also want to expand your chest (you probably need more thoracic extension to be able to do this) in order to reduce the bar stroke. This also has the advantage of reducing strain on the rotator cuff (because it takes you futher away from the stretched position.)

Deadlift
This is the lift I know the least about technically so I won't say too much. Also as full disclosure I have not deadlifted in a long time and I have 0 intention to do any heavy pulls again in my life.

Your shoulders move forwards before moving back on the deadlift, which is mechanically inefficient. You also hyperextend at the top.

I think these could be cured by setting up with your hips slightly lower and your shoulders further back and by attempting to stand tall at the lockout (v the 'hips through' cue.) You also have some spinal flexion in the bottom position and as you break the floor. This kind of spinal movement is quite obvious in slow motion and I would not recommend it for health purposes.

I would attempt to do a narrow sumo instead to reduce the stroke length because I have not personally worked out how to resolve this issue. I imagine improving hamstring length would help (NB: you need to be careful about maintaining a neutral spine while doing most hamstring stretches in this context. Don't just focus on bending forwards. Focus on hinging your hips backwards.)
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
(Original post by BKS)
Try taking your shoes and socks off. I do it for sumos on one of the types of platforms in my gym cause my flat shoes don't have much grip

Try different set up methods, you'll find one you like. Just always work on tighter then tighter again.If you don't know where to start, start with as pictured at the bottom of this

Where does the bar touch your chest at the bottom? Relative to the bottom of your sternum and nipples
Old form, usually around nipples.

Since switching to the form in the video, I think it is around the bottom on the sternum, definitely well below the nipples anyway.

(Original post by Ladystephanina)
With squat make sure you are using quads to push it up (also agree over exaggerating the backwards movement slightly). You are getting nice and low and chest is up though so looked pretty good tbf.
Bench needs to be less diagonal, yes and I would say it needs to be hitting slightly higher on your chest but hard to tell properly from the vid.
Deadlift you need to start with your ass/hips a little lower and bring your chest a bit further over the bar and remember to push with legs and not drag it up through your back. Also you're rushing which is why you ended up rocking back at the end.
Noob question, but since it's been mentioned twice now, what exactly do you mean by the 'backwards movement'? When I'm pushing my back into the bar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Since switching to the form in the video, I think it is around the bottom on the sternum, definitely well below the nipples anyway.

Noob question, but since it's been mentioned twice now, what exactly do you mean by the 'backwards movement'? When I'm pushing my back into the bar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
In those context backwards is towards your head and forwards is towards your toes. You have too much of a curve in your bench.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
In those context backwards is towards your head and forwards is towards your toes. You have too much of a curve in your bench.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How about for the squat? You mentioned how I exaggerated the backwards movement for that also?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How about for the squat? You mentioned how I exaggerated the backwards movement for that also?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Backwards as in sticking your bum out too far. It's not hard lol backwards is behind you and forwards is in front of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ALevelBro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mate one thing, your hips should run parallel to the ground. You are f***ing up your knees especially considering you look like you have a very wide stance (more than shoulder width)...

Also during the bench lower the bar towards upper chest, not towards your stomach.
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Since switching to the form in the video, I think it is around the bottom on the sternum, definitely well below the nipples anyway
Posted from TSR Mobile
Below nipples above sternum is right for most folk so you've probably went from one extreme to the other which is going to feel wrong for a bit. I don't think your bench path is necessarily wrong now but an inch higher is a safer bet. But it's one of those things where you've got to find what feels best for you

Eta: I don't recommend watching elite fts/ Dave Tate videos unless you have a decent understanding of the difference between raw and equipped benching.
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
(Original post by BKS)
Below nipples above sternum is right for most folk so you've probably went from one extreme to the other which is going to feel wrong for a bit. I don't think your bench path is necessarily wrong now but an inch higher is a safer bet. But it's one of those things where you've got to find what feels best for you

Eta: I don't recommend watching elite fts/ Dave Tate videos unless you have a decent understanding of the difference between raw and equipped benching.
I've not heard of elite fts, I've just been watching Alan Thrall on youtube, I don't learn movements too well from reading. Not the best way to learn I know but I haven't got much of a choice. I've only got two real friends that lift and last time I asked one of them to check my squat form he said it was fine, but I knew it wasn't (this was when it was worse than it is now).

As you can tell from my video my gym is pretty deserted and also unmanned. The noise at the start of the video was a kids summer scheme thing on the 3G pitches below. So can rarely ask for a spot let alone a form check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've not heard of elite fts, I've just been watching Alan Thrall on youtube, I don't learn movements too well from reading. Not the best way to learn I know but I haven't got much of a choice. I've only got two real friends that lift and last time I asked one of them to check my squat form he said it was fine, but I knew it wasn't (this was when it was worse than it is now).

As you can tell from my video my gym is pretty deserted and also unmanned. The noise at the start of the video was a kids summer scheme thing on the 3G pitches below. So can rarely ask for a spot let alone a form check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mention Elite FTS cause I just noticed Blink Monk suggested them

I've never heard of Alan Thrall
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
I mention Elite FTS cause I just noticed Blink Monk suggested them

I've never heard of Alan Thrall
Alan Thrall's one of these new barbell training youtubers - his videos are pretty sick. Really good beginner resource.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
Backwards as in sticking your bum out too far. It's not hard lol backwards is behind you and forwards is in front of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wasn't sure what you meant by backwards though, people say on the way up to imagine driving the back into the bar. On the way down to bend at the hips. So I wasn't sure if you guys were talking about backwards movement on the way up or down. So I should drop straight down more than I am doing here?
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wasn't sure what you meant by backwards though, people say on the way up to imagine driving the back into the bar. On the way down to bend at the hips. So I wasn't sure if you guys were talking about backwards movement on the way up or down. So I should drop straight down more than I am doing here?
Yeah more straight up and down than you are - just don't want to see your hips shooting away back as far.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.23%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.35%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.76%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.8%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (46)
24.34%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.59%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads