Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Big Decision watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok- the choices are:
    1. Live at home and commute to uni, thus saving money. I would be able to share the car with my dad (as he works at the same uni I am going to). Also, be closer to my boyfriend (he lives 1 mile down the road).
    2. Live in halls and not save money! (I am presuming that the uni will offer me halls-although it is not guaranteed becuase i live near) Be further away from my boyfriend (12 miles) but it will be easier to make friends and I will still be flexible becuase I can always come back with my dad for the odd night or weekend (or I could always catch the train!)

HELP!!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd go for living in halls. I couldn't imagine going to uni and staying at home.

ReputationRep:
    i am a bit worried that i might not fit in at halls- i don't really drink and i would be popping home at weekends and maybe sometimes during the week to see my boyfriend and everything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    i am a bit worried that i might not fit in at halls- i don't really drink and i would be popping home at weekends and maybe sometimes during the week to see my boyfriend and everything...
    Theres more to living in halls than just drinking - I know quite a few people who don't drink at all and still have fun. Also what ever type of person you are I'm sure you will find like-mineded people. There will be loads of people at your uni who don't want constant drink/sex/drugs and most of them will live far away and not have a choice - so don't base your decision on the fact you wont fit in.

There are advantages of living at home and in halls, but I expect you know most of them so I won't list them, it really depends on what you think is right for you. I would recommend you at least try living in halls - you can always move back home next year or maybe even the next term depending on what your contract's like.

It's really up to you, but i think most people consider living in halls part of the essential uni experiance, and i would recommend everyone at least trys it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should think of the money when deciding - its the only time in your life you're going to get a chance to do this kind of stuff, so the way I see it is you might as well spend the money now, have an experience of a lifetime, and worry about paying it back later, as thats what the SLC is for (obviously I don't mean just spend spend spend - I am being careful and budgeting). Without taking how much it costs into account, where would you rather live? And if you do live on campus then you can always go home every now and then, especially if you find you're not getting work done etc (I wish right now I could go home - I have an exam tomorrow but the people on the floor above me seem to like putting music on so loud that it makes glasses on my desk vibrate, at 3 in the morning, and have done most nights the past week - I will get them back as soon as the girl next door to me moves out!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I don't think you should think of the money when deciding - its the only time in your life you're going to get a chance to do this kind of stuff, so the way I see it is you might as well spend the money now, have an experience of a lifetime, and worry about paying it back later, as thats what the SLC is for (obviously I don't mean just spend spend spend - I am being careful and budgeting). Without taking how much it costs into account, where would you rather live? And if you do live on campus then you can always go home every now and then, especially if you find you're not getting work done etc (I wish right now I could go home - I have an exam tomorrow but the people on the floor above me seem to like putting music on so loud that it makes glasses on my desk vibrate, at 3 in the morning, and have done most nights the past week - I will get them back as soon as the girl next door to me moves out!).
    yeah i suppose if i don't do it now- the next time i move out of home i will have a job etc and it will all be really serious and grown up.....

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't really drink, but I figure that there will be all sorts of different people in halls. And you can still have fun with drunk people even when you aren't drinking. I think if I stayed at home, then it'd just feel like kind of like college again, which is why I didn't end up applying to anywhere in Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    So you want to spend thousands of pounds just to make friends? I'll tell you what, if you give me £500, I'll make some friends for you and send them your way.

Nah, really, option 2 shouldn't be an option. You will probably make loads of friends on your course and they will let you visit their room whenever.
    so you think that it would be a waste of money to stay in halls??

ReputationRep:
    So you want to spend thousands of pounds just to make friends? I'll tell you what, if you give me £500, I'll make some friends for you and send them your way.

Nah, really, option 2 shouldn't be an option. You will probably make loads of friends on your course and they will let you visit their room whenever.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do. I live at home and I'm not in any debt. I have friends at uni and I consider myself independent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    Yes, I do. I live at home and I'm not in any debt. I have friends at uni and I consider myself independent.
    i suppose you are right. There is no point spending the money when i don't have to...
    the thing i am worried about is that no-one will talk to me and i won't have anyone to do stuff with and no-one will let me round to their flat in the day in between lectures and that i basically won't have a social life... am i being too paranoid??

How far away from your uni do you live?? I would be 12 miles away....
    Have you found it ok going home after nights out or do people let you crash at their house??

ReputationRep:
    Ok- the choices are:
    1. Live at home and commute to uni, thus saving money. I would be able to share the car with my dad (as he works at the same uni I am going to). Also, be closer to my boyfriend (he lives 1 mile down the road).
    2. Live in halls and not save money! (I am presuming that the uni will offer me halls-although it is not guaranteed becuase i live near) Be further away from my boyfriend (12 miles) but it will be easier to make friends and I will still be flexible becuase I can always come back with my dad for the odd night or weekend (or I could always catch the train!)

HELP!!
    For me personally, living independently and being out on my own is a huge part of the uni experience. The education you get at uni isn't just your degree, it's an introduction to a new world and an opportunity to try standing on your own two feet, without your parents knowing your every move. And I wouldn't miss out on halls for the world, as I think it's an integral part of this experience. You're paying for uni as it is and you want to get the most out of your time there. A lot of unis centre many of their Fresher's Week activities around halls and countless current students have told me that their best friends come from their halls and not from their courses. I know, for me, living out wouldn't be the right choice. In the end though, it's down to you to decide how important these things are to you, and weight that against how much of a concern the cost of halls is. Just make the decision that's right for you (and not your parents or boyfriend...) and you'll have a wonderful time regardless Good luck, let us know what you decide!

ReputationRep:
    Why not try it (living in hall) for the first year and see how it goes?

ReputationRep:
    obviously its different for everyone but i just think living in halls and away from home is so much more adventurous. first taste of real freedom. i dont know what your parents are like but mine are pretty relaxed and liberal and even i now feel that there is no substitute for living by yourself. even i i lived at home and managed to kip on peoples floors all the time it is still not the same at all. you would miss out on quite alot unless you stay at your mates houses alot...and in that case you might as well move to halls. it is literally so much fun!! and speaking to the people i know that stayed at home there is a huge difference in experiences.
    also as a general rule it is a bad idea to stay somewhere because of a boyf/girlf....which can be difficult if you live far away, but you dont even have tha problem. you would only be 12 miles away!!! thats the best of both worlds.
    i say move into halls and embrace something different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonne)
    obviously its different for everyone but i just think living in halls and away from home is so much more adventurous. first taste of real freedom. i dont know what your parents are like but mine are pretty relaxed and liberal and even i now feel that there is no substitute for living by yourself. even i i lived at home and managed to kip on peoples floors all the time it is still not the same at all. you would miss out on quite alot unless you stay at your mates houses alot...and in that case you might as well move to halls. it is literally so much fun!! and speaking to the people i know that stayed at home there is a huge difference in experiences.
    also as a general rule it is a bad idea to stay somewhere because of a boyf/girlf....which can be difficult if you live far away, but you dont even have tha problem. you would only be 12 miles away!!! thats the best of both worlds.
    i say move into halls and embrace something different
    i have decided that for the first year i will move out into halls if they offer me any!!

i'm so excited!!
    and i can always come home whenever i want too!!
    i think i have the best of both worlds!!

ReputationRep:
    yay for you!!!!! congrats. it really is an amazing experience. i wont say dont be nervous as everyone is and there is nothign wrong with that. its new, its different. it can be a bit scary but i guarantee by the end fo the week you will have people you can talk and go out with..and that pessimistic. usually its the first night!
    but i will add a word of caution. though living near your boyf is a good thing, it can be bad cos at first its really odd with loads of new people, dont bottle out and just go out with your boyf instead. it is the easier option but can work against you making other friends. so maybe see not see your boyf for a few weeks? or maybe just in the day. i would spend the first two weekends with new friends
    hope this helps. its based on alot of past experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonne)
    yay for you!!!!! congrats. it really is an amazing experience. i wont say dont be nervous as everyone is and there is nothign wrong with that. its new, its different. it can be a bit scary but i guarantee by the end fo the week you will have people you can talk and go out with..and that pessimistic. usually its the first night!
    but i will add a word of caution. though living near your boyf is a good thing, it can be bad cos at first its really odd with loads of new people, dont bottle out and just go out with your boyf instead. it is the easier option but can work against you making other friends. so maybe see not see your boyf for a few weeks? or maybe just in the day. i would spend the first two weekends with new friends
    hope this helps. its based on alot of past experience!
    yeah i was thinking that i would only see him a little bit during the first couple of weeks...but he is in a band and so is usually busy with gigs at weekends so i think it will work out ok...ooh i can't wait!! I do want him to get to know my uni mates as well so i am hoping sometimes he will come out with us- but that may need a little persuasion!!

ReputationRep:
    awesome!!! it sound like you are going to get on just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope you have a brill time. im off to do my masters this year and im a bit worried about moving to a new city and making new friends etc even though ive done it all before. its scary but so rewarding.
    good luck.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.