EdmundWoodstock
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I had this philosophical conversation with a friend a while back and we somehow got on to the subject of why things are the way they are.

We kept on regressing further and further back for each question. e.g Why is the sky blue? Because blue light is scattered more than light of other colours. Well why is blue light scattered more than other colours? Because it has a shorter wavelength. Why does shorter wavelength light appear blue and not green? Well, just because....

Think of any possible question and if you just keep asking "Why? Why? Why?" There comes a point where there is no actual answer other than "Just because, that's just how it is". It was the first time I had pondered on that and it felt quite creepy/surreal. Anyone else had this sensation?
A5ko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"Why bother dwelling on the unknown, when there remains an entire family bucket of KFC to eat."
- No One, Ever
sarahellens
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All the time. It starts to get very creepy when you start to ask yourself why you are the way you are. How much of your personality is down to your surrounding and up bringing. But theres part of your personality that isnt and you wonder why and where did it come from?
ALevelBro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At that point you put your bong aside and step out of the house for some fresh air... You sound like you need it mate!
bookster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EdmundWoodstock)
I had this philosophical conversation with a friend a while back and we somehow got on to the subject of why things are the way they are.

We kept on regressing further and further back for each question. e.g Why is the sky blue? Because blue light is scattered more than light of other colours? Well why is blue light scattered more than other colours? Because it has a shorter wavelength? Why does shorter wavelength light appear blue and not green? Well, just because....

Think of any possible question and if you just keep asking "Why? Why? Why?" There comes a point where there is no actual answer other than "Just because, that's just how it is". It was the first time I had pondered on that and it felt quite creepy/surreal. Anyone else had this sensation?
I have it all the time, but i believe some things should just remain a mystery.
thehistorybore
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'The universe is everything that is the case'. The case is all of the facts; as the universe is based on facts, not things.

Therefore, the answer to the question of 'why' is 'because'.*

*Presumably because of the facts. I don't really know where I'm going with this.
y do i exist
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sarahellens)
All the time. It starts to get very creepy when you start to ask yourself why you are the way you are. How much of your personality is down to your surrounding and up bringing. But theres part of your personality that isnt and you wonder why and where did it come from?
No, this is just silly and nonsensical

Are you drunk

Posted from TSR Mobile
y do i exist
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well ultimately the root answer to everything is related

It could be 42, but it may be something else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reeeeyah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Attached files
CaitlinDy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To solve this, use the anthropic principle (weak or strong depending on how you feel).
E.g. "Why does Earth orbit in a Goldilocks Zone?" "Because if Earth didn't orbit in a Goldilocks Zone, there would be no humans alive to ask 'Why does Earth orbit in a Goldilocks Zone?'".
First used by philosophers, then physicists - it's not a principle I'm personally fond of because I feel it doesn't answer anything..
Implication
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"When you ask a 'why' question, you have to be in a framework where you allow something(s) to be true."
-Richard Feynman

Ultimately, no belief is ever fully justified because every justification will require another. Google 'Agrippa's Trilemma'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Falcatas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why reality?

Because it just is.
Waitingforgoulet
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because turtles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turt...l_the_way_down
Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why not ~
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I genuinely think all of it is down to chance and probability. There is no reason, it just is.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, buck stopping is a difficult philosophical problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (109)
27.74%
England (134)
34.1%
Belgium (30)
7.63%
Germany (41)
10.43%
Spain (8)
2.04%