The Student Room Group

BTEC Student going to University

I was wondering if there was any other BTEC students who have gone to University and found it difficult in exams as BTEC is predominately coursework?
Is it hard to adjust from doing coursework for 2 years?

I'm not very good at exams, I can't seem to remember anything!
I didn't do a BTEC but I knew quite a few people who did them during my first year. It seemed like they found it quite difficult to adjust, I don't think any made it through to the next year but that course had quite a low pass rate any way so it's probably not the best measure.
Reply 2
I did a BTEC in IT and have just finished my forst year of BSc Computer Science and passed every exam, a good thing that BTEC gives you is that it forces you to gain a deep kmowledge of the subject and how to apply that knowledge, as long as you know your subject well you should be able to apply that in an exam, and for thar reason i dont really believe that people can be bad at exams however i do understandthe anxiety issue but if you dont suffer from that or similar, and you know your stuff you should be fine

Also my coursework this year has been pretty similar to my BTEC Assignments and i have pretty much got firsts (70%+) in every piece.
Original post by Dettol123
I was wondering if there was any other BTEC students who have gone to University and found it difficult in exams as BTEC is predominately coursework?

Original post by yt7777
I did a BTEC in IT and have just finished my forst year of BSc Computer Science and passed every exam, a good thing that BTEC gives you is that it forces you to gain a deep kmowledge of the subject and how to apply that knowledge, as long as you know your subject well you should be able to apply that in an exam, and for thar reason i dont really believe that people can be bad at exams however i do understandthe anxiety issue but if you dont suffer from that or similar, and you know your stuff you should be fine

Also my coursework this year has been pretty similar to my BTEC Assignments and i have pretty much got firsts (70%+) in every piece.

The knowledge you get in a BTEC may only be helpful in university if it is directly relevant to your course.

I studied a BTEC and then moved on to university. I've always been bad at exams, I never really learned properly how to 'revise'. I'll be honest, I don't think I really got the hang of it until the end of my second year. I became very stressed out over the prospect of exams in my first year because I hadn't done any for years. I just recommend you do your best to get your head around the content during your course, do not leave anything until revision, and don't think 'oh I'll pad these notes out when it comes to revising' unless you genuinely believe that will be an effective revision method for you. Look into different methods of revision and try different ones until you find something really effective. Once you find what works for you revision and exams do become much more bearable. There are a lot of places online where you can look into people's work and revision methods, you'll find something.

TLDR: Yes it can be hard to transition because you're out of practice, but it's not that hard if you know how to revise. It's much easier when you figure out your most effective revision method(s).
Reply 4
Original post by Dettol123

Legit its fine
I did BTEC Media and now on a Media degree that has tons of Sociology and Psychology involved and I'm passing 1st year with 72% :smile:
I did have an exam this year, which was awkward since the exam date was straight after 2 essay hand ins and a Photography project. The good thing is though if you get your essays done early then, around the time for the exam, you can revise pretty easily. Uni exams are, in my case, more laid back than A-levels. And if large halls of people stress you out if you ak early enough you can get an exam room to yourself.
Best way to revise; bullet point all your notes and extended reading, keep trying to write them until you know them from memory, then look at practice questions usign your notes and own interpretation :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I did a BTEC in sort and got a 2:1 ib my first year, a lot did BTEC and handeled it fine

Quick Reply

Latest