Graduated from Uni: what's next?

Watch
NuriaM
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,

Now that you've completely finished your course and are graduates of 2014/2015 what are your plans? (Open to those that have finished earlier)

I studied BEng Chemical Engineering at Teesside University and I'll be starting my graduate job in August. I can't wait but, am sure am going to miss uni a lot!😭😭. Found it super weird when my last exam came and some people were already going the next day back to their countries or wherever and others were starting a job and I was just like 'is this it?' 😐 You finish the exams and then it's 'goodbye' and 'see you in graduation' from some people.

What about u guys, what did u study? What's next?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bumping this in the hope that some people will see it.
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im thinking of doing chemical engineering,whats the course like and how are the job prospects ?
The bext steps should be you getting a place to stay by yourself and your own car IMO.
NuriaM
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Kadak)
Im thinking of doing chemical engineering,whats the course like and how are the job prospects ?
The bext steps should be you getting a place to stay by yourself and your own car IMO.
The course for me is really interesting. My uni is very practical so from first year onwards I worked on various design projects like designing an ammonia plant, designing and building a chemical storage facility, design of a water treatment plant and designing a sugar and ethanol plant from sugar beet etc.. There's a lot of things that are taught throughout the course like systems control, equipment design etc. this is the course content (first year) of my uni just for u get an understanding:

Year 1
- Chemical principles (basically advanced chemistry)
- engineering mathematics
- engineering thermodynamics and heat transfer
- applied fluid mechanics
- professional skills
- chemical thermodynamics
- mass and energy balance
- properties of materials

There's a lot of opportunities for anyone that studies this course. U can work in a variety of sectors from oil and gas, energy, manufacturing, consultancy, finance and banking etc. and doing a chemical engineer doesn't mean u can only work as a chemical engineer u can work as:

- process engineer
- project engineer
- design engineer
- reliability engineer
- consultant
- project manager

(Just to name a few)
So there's a lot of opportunities but, always keep an eye out in the news on the various sectors that ur interested in eg there's currently a crisis in the oil and gas sector and in the steel making industry as well so these sectors are less likely to be hiring students at the moment due the issues that they're facing. Always keep an eye out on the current market.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mine turtle
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm going to go away, research business startups and start my business (hopefully be rolling out in 24 months time). If all goes to plan I will never use what I learnt at uni or my degree (it's plan B). First need to see if I failed tomorrow
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads