The Student Room Group

Can I still get an exception to do A level physics if the school has requirements?

So, I did double award science, core science I got a B, additional science I think I will get an A*.
The thing is that I like physics very much and I would like to do it for A levels. But the school says I must get at least an A in core science and A in additional, So i can't do any sciences.
Is there any way to make an exception so that I can do A level physics?
BTW, I am extremely good at physics and I get almost full marks in every mock exams. It is just biology I am sucking at, I am okay for chemistry.
So I need to convince the teachers that I am capable of achieving good grades, any ideas how? I have heard Einstein sucked at exams and he got the lowest grades in his class, still became one of the greatest scientists in 20th century.
No physics = future career over = dream over.
Original post by Superhornet
So, I did double award science, core science I got a B, additional science I think I will get an A*.
The thing is that I like physics very much and I would like to do it for A levels. But the school says I must get at least an A in core science and A in additional, So i can't do any sciences.
Is there any way to make an exception so that I can do A level physics?
BTW, I am extremely good at physics and I get almost full marks in every mock exams. It is just biology I am sucking at, I am okay for chemistry.
So I need to convince the teachers that I am capable of achieving good grades, any ideas how? I have heard Einstein sucked at exams and he got the lowest grades in his class, still became one of the greatest scientists in 20th century.
No physics = future career over = dream over.

have you spoken to your teachers about it yet?

IMHO collect evidence that supports your claim to be good at physics, and brought down by biology and see if you arrange to have a chat with the head of science to present your case... probably it will help a lot if you have a strong GCSE in maths.

PS it's a myth that einstein did badly at school - so I wouldn't mention that... http://gizmodo.com/5884050/einstein-actually-had-excellent-grades
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
have you spoken to your teachers about it yet?

IMHO collect evidence that supports your claim to be good at physics, and brought down by biology and see if you arrange to have a chat with the head of science to present your case... probably it will help a lot if you have a strong GCSE in maths.

PS it's a myth that einstein did badly at school - so I wouldn't mention that... http://gizmodo.com/5884050/einstein-actually-had-excellent-grades

NO i haven't spoken to my teachers yet. like what kind of evidence? School reports? Exam papers?
Reply 3
NO i haven't spoken to my teachers yet. like what kind of evidence? School reports? Exam papers?

You wont need evidence, the school has everything already. what you need to do is talk about it to the teacher who taught you GCSE physics, as they will know whether you have the ability to take it to A level. They are your evidence.
Reply 4
Original post by Blear
You wont need evidence, the school has everything already. what you need to do is talk about it to the teacher who taught you GCSE physics, as they will know whether you have the ability to take it to A level. They are your evidence.

The sixth form i go to is in other school, not in the school where i did my GCSEs, they dont offer A levels.
Reply 5
The sixth form i go to is in other school, not in the school where i did my GCSEs, they dont offer A levels.

Doesn't matter, your GCSE teacher can still write you a reference to give to the new school if they can't speak to them directly.
Reply 6
Original post by Blear
Doesn't matter, your GCSE teacher can still write you a reference to give to the new school if they can't speak to them directly.

I technically finished school. Next time I'll see my teachers is on graduation day which is in early July, and on GCSE results day. I'll see if my teacher can write a reference. Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
I technically finished school. Next time I'll see my teachers is on graduation day which is in early July, and on GCSE results day. I'll see if my teacher can write a reference. Thank you :smile:

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest