Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Marijuana legalisation in the UK: Yes or No? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what all you guys thought of the devil's lettuce being legal in the UK. I understand we're probably a long way away from that happening but I'm just curious of people's opinions of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oscar.)
    I was wondering what all you guys thought of the devil's lettuce being legal in the UK. I understand we're probably a long way away from that happening but I'm just curious of people's opinions of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it should be legal because it doesn't do much harm. I also think that the only reason people glorify weed is because it's illegal and it's almost like a rush of adrenaline to do something 'outside of the law' so if it does get legalised, I strongly feel the demand for it will drop and people will again resort to another illegal drug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    I think it should be legal because it doesn't do much harm. I also think that the only reason people glorify weed is because it's illegal and it's almost like a rush of adrenaline to do something 'outside of the law' so if it does get legalised, I strongly feel the demand for it will drop and people will again resort to another illegal drug.
    True, I guess because it's illegal was the main incentive to try it but now I just do it to get high. I think it would be affective towards teens (like myself) who haven't tried it, however those who have been high it will probably increase use, not that that's a bad thing 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It should be legalized, it's harmless. As someone before me said, it will not be so 'cool' when it gets legalized anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    It should be legalized, it's harmless. As someone before me said, it will not be so 'cool' when it gets legalized anyway.
    I agree but I think that parents will still tell their children not to do it so I think it'll still be seen as cool and also theres gonna be an age limit on it so it'll just be underage drinking and loads teebs will do it, similar to how they do now aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yeahhh deffo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oscar.)
    I agree but I think that parents will still tell their children not to do it so I think it'll still be seen as cool and also theres gonna be an age limit on it so it'll just be underage drinking and loads teebs will do it, similar to how they do now aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well they're still better off doing weed than underage drinking and smoking tobacco, so whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    What a ridiculous assumption

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SceneKid17)
    yeahhh deffo
    SMD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    What a ridiculous assumption

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How so?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Legalize it, people will stop idolising it. And I can try getting high legally.

ReputationRep:
    Legalise it.

At least, it can regulated and the contents can be controlled effectively.

The man who beheaded that old woman had just smoked Skunk Marijuana. In a regulated market, this could be out lawed.

ReputationRep:
    Well nobody I know who smoke it glorify it for being illegal and cool. They do it to get high.

As for starting out, it was done to see what getting high felt like.

If it was made legal, young people would still start smoking it, but it would be in the same way as how young people start smoking cigarettes. To feel cool and/or see what it is like. So if anything people glorifying it to feel cool would probably increase if anything.

There is way too much of a stoner culture on social media for young people not to be intrigued to try it if it was legal. The stoner laid back culture is often what young people are drawn to initially, not the legal status of it.

But the main point is that people who tend to smoke it thinking it is cool, aren't generally very mature. Hence they tend to be under 18, making it still illegal for them to smoke it. So by legalising it under the basis that people won't try it because it is legal, therefore not cool make no sense as it is still illegal for stupid little kids who think it is cool, in fact there will be even more stupid little children **** bois trying it because it was made legal and they just pick the **** boi with a furry mustache to go buy some.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Legalise it.

At least, it can regulated and the contents can be controlled effectively.

The man who beheaded that old woman had just smoked Skunk Marijuana. In a regulated market, this could be out lawed.
    Skunk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Drinking and smoking are considered cool(by the same people who find getting high cool) but they are legal.

ReputationRep:
    It's not 'harmless' but it's not anywhere near as dangerous as the media suggests. Legalize it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LenaSim)
    Drinking and smoking are considered cool(by the same people who find getting high cool) but they are legal.
    Yeah but theyre still 'forbidden' since smoking tobacco is very harmful as we all know, so they still have the 'Im so cool' factor and drinking is also 'forbidden' because of how crazy is makes you act if you get drunk, its bad for your liver and overall health if you drink too much, theyre also both highly addictive and will result in cancer or liver failure is you do it too much. Getting high on weed wont kill you and getting high on weed isnt gonna have a major impact on your behaviour like alcohol so once it gets legalized and people get used to it, it will not be seen 'forbidden' and 'cool' like alcohol and tobacco is.

ReputationRep:
    *everything* should be legalised - why the sudden stop at weed? the war on drugs doesn't work

ReputationRep:
    I tend to be against it because of the effect it has on children's brain development.
    Actually it's not chemically addictive as people normally only get addicted from the tobacco smoked with it.

Tobacco is actually more addictive than heroin. That means it's more difficult to stop using it. Not that it's more damaging to the individual (though tobacco usage does amount to a hellova lota deaths). Ditto alcohol.

The psychological addiction is a separate issue though. Marijuana can be as psychologically addictive as anything. All I'm saying is that if you smoke it pure without the tobacco then that psychological addiction (if there is one) won't be strengthened by a chemical addiction.

Since most people can't afford (or know how) to smoke or consume neat Marijuana they tend to pad it out with Tobacco. That's what creates the addiction and makes the standard use of Marijuana more dangerous.

But for people who have certain diseases it is cruel to deny them if it is the only source of relief. There are even some MPs that have openly done this and they didn't get arrested.

Actually I passed some builders today and one had a joint in his mouth. The smell was strong. Must have been Skunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaronlowe)
    I tend to be against it because of the effect it has on children's brain development.
    Actually it's not chemically addictive as people normally only get addicted from the tobacco smoked with it.

Tobacco is actually more addictive than heroin. That means it's more difficult to stop using it. Not that it's more damaging to the individual (though tobacco usage does amount to a hellova lota deaths). Ditto alcohol.

The psychological addiction is a separate issue though. Marijuana can be as psychologically addictive as anything. All I'm saying is that if you smoke it pure without the tobacco then that psychological addiction (if there is one) won't be strengthened by a chemical addiction.

Since most people can't afford (or know how) to smoke or consume neat Marijuana they tend to pad it out with Tobacco. That's what creates the addiction and makes the standard use of Marijuana more dangerous.

But for people who have certain diseases it is cruel to deny them if it is the only source of relief. There are even some MPs that have openly done this and they didn't get arrested.

Actually I passed some builders today and one had a joint in his mouth. The smell was strong. Must have been Skunk.
    Sources (preferrably scientific journals/articles) showing it has negative effects on developing brains.

And regardless of it's effects on developing organs. What effects do you think that legal drugs such as alcohol or tobacco have on developing organs? Same old same old with prohibitionists. You lot always point to this or that while there are much more harmful drugs that are prefectly legal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.