The Student Room Group

Marijuana legalisation in the UK: Yes or No?

Scroll to see replies

No. Legalised for medicinal purposes - recreationally? No.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
What a ridiculous assumption

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, Right
Original post by Oscar.
I was wondering what all you guys thought of the devil's lettuce being legal in the UK. I understand we're probably a long way away from that happening but I'm just curious of people's opinions of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm against it on the basis that it's not good for you (the cancer stuff only works in concentrated doses - i.e. not smoking) and since it's already banned, making it legal would only encourage it's use.

With that being said, i don't think somebody should go to prison for smoking it and therefore with all drugs i would make their use subject to a fixed penalty notice while maintaining more severe fines for supply.
Reply 23
I think you make a valid point here and there is definitely some weight to the argument that if it was legal more people may be more inclined to try it. however if it was regulated properly, it would be harder for kids to obtain it in the first place; at present it is far to easy for children to get hold of weed, I know this from personal experience. And this stoner culture on social media that you speak of is only being perpetuated by the fact that weed is still illegal. Young people have always tried in some way or another to 'rebel against the system', its nothing new.

The only way to make weed less appealing to young people is to 'decriminalise' it. Look at Amsterdam, I was born and raised in London and moved to Amsterdam when I was 18 and from experience I can tell you that the greatest success that Amsterdam has is that they've managed to make drugs 'boring'. Think about a drug deal in London as appose to one in Amsterdam, in London you may be meeting you dealer in a rough neighbourhood, the handshake thing where you try to pass over the money while taking the baggie from them at the same time trying to avoid suspicion, then having to carry this bag of 'illegal' narcotics back to your home without getting stopped by the police, knowing that if you do, you could very well end up in a jail cell. Just that alone is one of the most exciting, adrenaline fuelled experiences of that whole subculture. Whereas in Amsterdam you go to the counter, choose what you want and pay for it just as you would anything else: easy, simple and most importantly 'boring'.
Aren't ciggs more harmful?
Sources (preferrably scientific journals/articles) showing it has negative effects on developing brains.

And regardless of it's effects on developing organs. What effects do you think that legal drugs such as alcohol or tobacco have on developing organs? Same old same old with prohibitionists. You lot always point to this or that while there are much more harmful drugs that are prefectly legal.

My source is a newspaper article I read last year. I don't carry around a library in my head you know - only human :colondollar:

I'd say legal drugs have as much or more damaging effect. But they are traditionally accepted and make the government a lot of money so they'll never get rid of them (even though more money is lost via the NHS treating diseases cause by such). Not to mention the moral deformity this creates.

If an adult with a developed brain (usually around 21+) wants to smoke a dube then the damaging effect is less than if they were 13. It's still damaging though. Effects your ability to remember things and hold attention. Can also affect mood swings and states and obviously can cause paranoia when you take it.

Like all drugs, they take away more that they give in the longrun. I don't mean medication, though that's probably true of some medication as well. I mean mind altering drugs.
Well nobody I know who smoke it glorify it for being illegal and cool. They do it to get high.

As for starting out, it was done to see what getting high felt like.

If it was made legal, young people would still start smoking it, but it would be in the same way as how young people start smoking cigarettes. To feel cool and/or see what it is like. So if anything people glorifying it to feel cool would probably increase if anything.

There is way too much of a stoner culture on social media for young people not to be intrigued to try it if it was legal. The stoner laid back culture is often what young people are drawn to initially, not the legal status of it.

But the main point is that people who tend to smoke it thinking it is cool, aren't generally very mature. Hence they tend to be under 18, making it still illegal for them to smoke it. So by legalising it under the basis that people won't try it because it is legal, therefore not cool make no sense as it is still illegal for stupid little kids who think it is cool, in fact there will be even more stupid little children **** bois trying it because it was made legal and they just pick the **** boi with a furry mustache to go buy some.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah right. Curiosity killed the cat. If you're told not to do something, you'll fell more inclined to do it..especially young people under peer pressure.

I didn't say people won't try it if it's legalised. I said there won't be this stupid buzz about getting stoned because it will be the norm.

That also goes for drinking and cigarette smoking. It's usually under 18s that indulge or chronic smokers who began smoking under 18 because they know they are not supposed to, so it makes them want to
(edited 8 years ago)
Legalize it imo. Not physically addictive unlike alcohol (i.e. alcoholism) and overall much less dangerous (our livers, victims of drunk driving and A&E departments at night would agree), yet there's at the very least one or two pubs in every town and prison sentences for marijuana possession..
lol at people who think anyone over the age of 15 who smokes weed does it because its illegality makes it 'cool'. I mean, come on.
Reply 29
Original post by Rakas21
I'm against it on the basis that it's not good for you (the cancer stuff only works in concentrated doses - i.e. not smoking) and since it's already banned, making it legal would only encourage it's use.

With that being said, i don't think somebody should go to prison for smoking it and therefore with all drugs i would make their use subject to a fixed penalty notice while maintaining more severe fines for supply.

Can you explain the things that make it bad for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in favour of legalisation, 100%.

Although there would have to be the same regulations that are put in place for tobacco and there should defiantly be an age limit. I think there should also be restrictions on where you can use it. In your own home, where it won't affect others whatsoever. I also think this about tobacco, as I don't want to be forced to breath in other peoples bad decisions.

I'm straight edge, but I still think it should be legal, due to how harmless it is in comparison to tobacco.
Reply 31
Original post by suudsioee
Aren't ciggs more harmful?

Yeah, a lot more harmful, they cause cancer, weed had been proven to slow it and help shrink it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oscar.
Can you explain the things that make it bad for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well i know it's probably less harmful than tobacco (and probably less addictive) however there are simply no benefits that i'm aware of to it (from smoking at least) and so i don't really see a reason to support legalisation.
Original post by Oscar.
Yeah, a lot more harmful, they cause cancer, weed had been proven to slow it and help shrink it

Posted from TSR Mobile

The chemical in Cannabis is what slows and shrinks it and you require concentrated doses. You can't actually smoke it and hold back cancer, you'd be dead of Oxygen deprivation before you got anywhere near the level of concentration needed.
Why is legalisation of drugs a big thing. If someone was going to smoke weed, it doesnt matter if its legal or not and vice versa. Illegalisation just makes it harder to source, it doesnt actually deter smoking it as its a habit forming drug and thus users generally dont give 2 fingers about the consequences
Original post by Thato187
I think you make a valid point here and there is definitely some weight to the argument that if it was legal more people may be more inclined to try it. however if it was regulated properly, it would be harder for kids to obtain it in the first place; at present it is far to easy for children to get hold of weed, I know this from personal experience. And this stoner culture on social media that you speak of is only being perpetuated by the fact that weed is still illegal. Young people have always tried in some way or another to 'rebel against the system', its nothing new.

The only way to make weed less appealing to young people is to 'decriminalise' it. Look at Amsterdam, I was born and raised in London and moved to Amsterdam when I was 18 and from experience I can tell you that the greatest success that Amsterdam has is that they've managed to make drugs 'boring'. Think about a drug deal in London as appose to one in Amsterdam, in London you may be meeting you dealer in a rough neighbourhood, the handshake thing where you try to pass over the money while taking the baggie from them at the same time trying to avoid suspicion, then having to carry this bag of 'illegal' narcotics back to your home without getting stopped by the police, knowing that if you do, you could very well end up in a jail cell. Just that alone is one of the most exciting, adrenaline fuelled experiences of that whole subculture. Whereas in Amsterdam you go to the counter, choose what you want and pay for it just as you would anything else: easy, simple and most importantly 'boring'.

100% agree
Reply 36
Original post by Rakas21
Well i know it's probably less harmful than tobacco (and probably less addictive) however there are simply no benefits that i'm aware of to it (from smoking at least) and so i don't really see a reason to support legalisation.

You should watch the culture high on netflix, it's really eye opening, I was always for its legalisation but after watching that it made me even more. Trust me. It's on the US netflix btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by A level sufferer
Why is legalisation of drugs a big thing. If someone was going to smoke weed, it doesnt matter if its legal or not and vice versa. Illegalisation just makes it harder to source, it doesnt actually deter smoking it as its a habit forming drug and thus users generally dont give 2 fingers about the consequences

One reason is if you get caught smoking weed in the UK it'll go on your record and you won't be allowed into the US since you've got drug affiliated crimes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by Rakas21
The chemical in Cannabis is what slows and shrinks it and you require concentrated doses. You can't actually smoke it and hold back cancer, you'd be dead of Oxygen deprivation before you got anywhere near the level of concentration needed.

Yes but this is a thread on making marijuana legal, if you made it legal you'd be able to be prescribed concentrate CBD and also many people have created high CBD strains which are a massive medicinal help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
It is no worse for you than alcohol, and certain much better than any of those 'legal highs' which people can take now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending