theclass
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

Is UCL worth applying to for chemical engineering?

UCL is always very low on the rankings for chem eng (19th in one ranking i think) and I've heard the chem eng department isn't the best but I will hopefully be visiting it on open day.

Give me your opinions guys as I really want the next best uni after Imperial and Cambridge!
thenextchemist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I currently go to the UCL Chemical Engineering department frequently for a year 12 summer school for six weeks.
I personally love the atmosphere in the engineering department.
I've heard this as well, but apparently they are building new labs for September 2015, so I don't think it's much of a worry.
The chemical engineering department in terms of teaching is really good. I haven't asked, but I don't think UCL does a placement year which is disappointing but I'll check this with them. I think definitely visit the open day. The building as a lot of people say is old but not that old and rusty that it looks like a rubbish department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
theclass
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bloom77)
I currently go to the UCL Chemical Engineering department frequently for a year 12 summer school for six weeks.
I personally love the atmosphere in the engineering department.
I've heard this as well, but apparently they are building new labs for September 2015, so I don't think it's much of a worry.
The chemical engineering department in terms of teaching is really good. I haven't asked, but I don't think UCL does a placement year which is disappointing but I'll check this with them. I think definitely visit the open day. The building as a lot of people say is old but not that old and rusty that it looks like a rubbish department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh okay, cool. I definitely need to see the department then. However, I still cannot get my head around the such low graduate prospects compared to other unis, as UCL usually has a 20% unemployment rate!
thenextchemist
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by theclass)
Oh okay, cool. I definitely need to see the department then. However, I still cannot get my head around the such low graduate prospects compared to other unis, as UCL usually has a 20% unemployment rate!
I definitely think it's because UCL don't have a year out for a work placement or an internship and students will have to find it themselves as employers like students with at least a year's experience. I'm meeting the admissions tutor in a few weeks so I'll let you know then what the main reason is, but I'm sure it's the work placement thing haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
theclass
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bloom77)
I definitely think it's because UCL don't have a year out for a work placement or an internship and students will have to find it themselves as employers like students with at least a year's experience. I'm meeting the admissions tutor in a few weeks so I'll let you know then what the main reason is, but I'm sure it's the work placement thing haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah okay, good point. Though you could say Imperial don't do a placement either though do they and they have a >90% employment rate. But obviously, Imperial > UCL
thenextchemist
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by theclass)
Ah okay, good point. Though you could say Imperial don't do a placement either though do they and they have a >90% employment rate. But obviously, Imperial > UCL
Lol yeah
But I'm sure imperial provides them a placement, it's up to the student to accept or not.
UCL don't even provide placements I think which is the downside.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thenextchemist
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh and also, I met a lot of the students there and most of them have come from other universities to do a masters at UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (10)
6.25%
They've been reasonable (67)
41.88%
Not feeling great... (44)
27.5%
They are TERRIBLE! (39)