The Student Room Group

Help in choosing a right career path?

Hello. I'm a 2nd year undergrad student studying Animation.

Off late I've been thinking that this is not the right career for me. I like animation, but I am not really good at it (cannot draw properly either, so my visual art skills are bad). And in this field, you need to be exceptionally talented like Michael Angelo if you want to make it.

I want to go into a career path in which success and economic stability is greatly assured. A career path which will never leave me bankrupt or jobless for too long. A career path in which the amount of hard work you put in, is in direct proportion to the amount of success and economic power you will attain from it, rather than something like animation - where your success depends on whether you're a good artist or not (and that mostly has to do with luck - whether you're born with it or not, and does not have that much to do with hard work)

Also a career path in which the skills in that field are greatly in demand, and you can get placements in the best cities of the world and a high income.

And also a career path in which a lot of movement and activity is also involved. One of the backdraws of a career in animation, is that you have to spend 10 hours a day sitting in front of a computer screen. (And I absolutely hate that idea).

So from all the info I have stated above, which career path do you think I should get into?

(Yes I know I might have come accross as a little naive as I was describing some of the factors above. Obviously no job is perfect. But I just want some advice on which career paths are closest to whatever I have described above)
I don't really know how to respond to this. It is clear you don't want to do animation. But you don't talk about anything about a career that will make you happy or challenge you. And what does economic stability mean? To live in a tin can in the Scottish Highlands living off the land, or maintaining a classy apartment in Mayfair? Similarly, what do you mean by being successful?

Personally, I think the best way to start thinking about careers is to think about what you want to do in a job that will make you happy? You have mentioned that you want to be out and about. That is a good start. Other things to think about are - do you want to work alone or in a team? Do you want to meet people as part of your day-to-day tasks? Do you prefer thinking or doing? Do you want to work with your hands or your mind or both? When you have figured this out, you can move forward.

As for money. Money is only an enabler. It is also the case that in general, the more money you earn, the less time you have to spend it. Having a satisfying and fulfilling life is a difficult balance between those two things.

Good luck!
Original post by ByEeek
I don't really know how to respond to this. It is clear you don't want to do animation. But you don't talk about anything about a career that will make you happy or challenge you. And what does economic stability mean? To live in a tin can in the Scottish Highlands living off the land, or maintaining a classy apartment in Mayfair? Similarly, what do you mean by being successful?

Personally, I think the best way to start thinking about careers is to think about what you want to do in a job that will make you happy? You have mentioned that you want to be out and about. That is a good start. Other things to think about are - do you want to work alone or in a team? Do you want to meet people as part of your day-to-day tasks? Do you prefer thinking or doing? Do you want to work with your hands or your mind or both? When you have figured this out, you can move forward.

As for money. Money is only an enabler. It is also the case that in general, the more money you earn, the less time you have to spend it. Having a satisfying and fulfilling life is a difficult balance between those two things.

Good luck!

That's really good advice! Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my description. By economic stability, I meant that I would never have to struggle with funds or ever go broke. But of course I would prefer a high income rather than a steady but low income like you'd get from a government job.

I prefer thinking and doing - a job that requires mental ability as well as a lot of moving around so that it is not sedentary. I'm happy to work in a team. If the job involes meeting people on a day-to-day basis, then that's great.

As for what makes me happy...I really am not sure. One of my hobbies is composing music, but a career in that is really farfetched and unstable so I need to find something else.

I do love travelling though, so if the job involves me getting placements around the world, and giving me a high enough income to travel the world, drive fancy cars, stay at fancy hotels, then that's really good.

You might be tempted to suggest something in the medical field, but that is the last thing in my mind. I'd be more happier with something else such as in business, IT, engineering, media, writing or anything else...just name it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending