The Student Room Group

Packing for uni

what do I take in my suitcase and do I need 2 suitcases?

How many clothes did you guys need?

CT: What to take to uni - the ultimate guide
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ETRC
what do I take in my suitcase and do I need 2 suitcases?

How many clothes did you guys need?

take everything,i dont know how much clothes you own but i moved out with my whole wardrobe as i didnt want to leave anything i might need behind.
Original post by claireestelle
take everything,i dont know how much clothes you own but i moved out with my whole wardrobe as i didnt want to leave anything i might need behind.

This is what girls do and it's stupid. Don't do this op

Take at least half of your wardrobe but remember to pack more winter clothes than summer as it's going to be winter before break.
I was told not to bring actual suitcases as there is nowhere in the room to store them, but to bring under-bed storage boxes. As for clothes, pack a mix of warm and cold weather things and a good coat.
Original post by bittr n swt

Take at least half of your wardrobe but remember to pack more winter clothes than summer as it's going to be winter before break.

it all fit in my uni wardrobe so wasnt stupid using up all the space. I never moved back home in the end so would have been awkward if i didnt have all my stuff already with me.
My brothers took a couple of big suitcases and a big rucksack the first time they went as they needed to take all their clothes / bedroom / kitchen stuff. My parents then brought the suitcases home to save space in their rooms so you could do something similar and only keep one big bag at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by bittr n swt

I have like 3 jumpers and 1 jacket for winter lol. I don't think I can take my whole wardrobe cos I read somewhere you have to take your own bed sheets and stuff.

And I think it will be pretty cold in September and there is only like 1-2 months of warm weather. I will probably have to buy another jacket or 2.
Reply 7
Original post by boods8897
My brothers took a couple of big suitcases and a big rucksack the first time they went as they needed to take all their clothes / bedroom / kitchen stuff. My parents then brought the suitcases home to save space in their rooms so you could do something similar and only keep one big bag at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I might do
Reply 8
it all fit in my uni wardrobe so wasnt stupid using up all the space. I never moved back home in the end so would have been awkward if i didnt have all my stuff already with me.

Did you buy a lot more clothes at uni?
Some people only take a few clothes with them and buy the rest of their clothes when they go so I thought if I take half my clothes I could buy the rest later.
Reply 9
Original post by HuggleyDuck
I was told not to bring actual suitcases as there is nowhere in the room to store them, but to bring under-bed storage boxes. As for clothes, pack a mix of warm and cold weather things and a good coat.

Won't you need a lot of storage boxes lol
I probably need to buy a thick coat- never really liked wearing one
Reply 10
Have you seen the halls? I didn't have a bedside table so I packed some of my things in 2 storage boxes which I then stacked to use as a table.

Planning to buy clothes when you get there may be an expensive way to go..
Reply 11
Original post by Bobbi!
Have you seen the halls? I didn't have a bedside table so I packed some of my things in 2 storage boxes which I then stacked to use as a table.

Planning to buy clothes when you get there may be an expensive way to go..

The halls have wardrobes where you can store suitcases or storage boxes. The rooms have tables and some space underneath so I might be able to store a box or suitcase there. I'm not gonna buy most of my clothes there- just some winter stuff.
Reply 12
It really depends, my parents drove me to uni so I filled the car full of my stuff! Bedding, pillows, lamp, bathroom draws, cleaning stuff, toiletries, hair products, all kitchen stuff, photos, a few little ornaments plus clothes, shoes and lots of hangers and we also did a big food shop before we went there to save time once I was there with all my new flatmates!

Obviously you don't need all those things, I decided to take bathroom draws as I had an en-suite with nowhere to put things in and already had the draws which fitted in perfectly, if you can't visit your halls try and find some photos online or even email to see whats included, some university offer bedding or kitchen packs to buy from them before you go to save people especially foreign students bringing them or desperately shopping for them on day 1.

My friend had to get the train to uni so she decided she would just go shopping when she got there for kitchen things, all cleaning stuff, food, hangers, toiletries etc so only took bedding and clothes in one big suitcase with her.

Also worth thinking about how often your going home, if its fairly often you can leave a lot of clothes at home and swap whenever you go and even if its not till Christmas remember first term is all Autumn/winter so although we may get a few sunny days in September its not worth taking every pair of shorts and sandals you own.
Original post by ETRC
Won't you need a lot of storage boxes lol
I probably need to buy a thick coat- never really liked wearing one

A few, maybe three. Rooms also have a wardrobe and chest of drawes too so there will be storage options.
Reply 14
Original post by jess1808
It really depends, my parents drove me to uni so I filled the car full of my stuff! Bedding, pillows, lamp, bathroom draws, cleaning stuff, toiletries, hair products, all kitchen stuff, photos, a few little ornaments plus clothes, shoes and lots of hangers and we also did a big food shop before we went there to save time once I was there with all my new flatmates!

Obviously you don't need all those things, I decided to take bathroom draws as I had an en-suite with nowhere to put things in and already had the draws which fitted in perfectly, if you can't visit your halls try and find some photos online or even email to see whats included, some university offer bedding or kitchen packs to buy from them before you go to save people especially foreign students bringing them or desperately shopping for them on day 1.

My friend had to get the train to uni so she decided she would just go shopping when she got there for kitchen things, all cleaning stuff, food, hangers, toiletries etc so only took bedding and clothes in one big suitcase with her.

Also worth thinking about how often your going home, if its fairly often you can leave a lot of clothes at home and swap whenever you go and even if its not till Christmas remember first term is all Autumn/winter so although we may get a few sunny days in September its not worth taking every pair of shorts and sandals you own.

I will have to go home during the breaks because we get accommodation for 30 or 31 weeks so I will probably have to leave some clothes home. We get a mattress, pillows and a duvet but I have to bring my own bed sheets and pillow covers etc.

The hall I applied to have cleaners that clean the toilets and kitchen- don't know if I need to bring the cleaning stuff. The LSE website doesn't give much info about utensils or any cleaning products

It just gave me an address and a date to arrive so far lol
Original post by ETRC
Did you buy a lot more clothes at uni?
Some people only take a few clothes with them and buy the rest of their clothes when they go so I thought if I take half my clothes I could buy the rest later.

I lived 10 minutes from a primark so you can guess how much clothes I bought :tongue: why buy the rest later when you already own clothes only being able to afford primark clothes isn't ideal
I had my mum with me, and our family don't own a car so we had to manage with one bag each (+ a laptop bag for me), a small suitcase for her and a large suitcase for me.

I didn't spend any money on clothes or anything like that - I had enough clothes packed to last me just over a week (including one smart outfit for those kind of events), and I was happy to do laundry every week.

I also had a container full of plates, cutlery etc, and some bathroom supplies.

The only other things I can remember are stationery and some snacks. Otherwise I got some stuff I didn't have from the shop on campus, and ordered some stuff online. If you don't have a car, then be sure to ferry stuff back when you go home - otherwise it's really heavy when you have to leave, and you're bound to bring stuff when you're back from visiting home, as well as collecting stuff as you go.

This may help.
Reply 17
I lived 10 minutes from a primark so you can guess how much clothes I bought :tongue: why buy the rest later when you already own clothes only being able to afford primark clothes isn't ideal

I don't wear about 1/3 of my clothes anyways because they are too small or I don't like them anymore haha

I have enough clothes already- I just meant that I need to buy a few more not loads
Original post by ETRC
I don't wear about 1/3 of my clothes anyways because they are too small or I don't like them anymore haha

I have enough clothes already- I just meant that I need to buy a few more not loads

Oh I see I d say use uni as an excuse for a good sort out and you never know you might manage to fit them all in the car on moving day
I have to clear out during vacations as I have a termly license. I swear by using bags for life (sports direct ones) to pack everything in - easier to lug about up and down stairs and store when not using them, and you can't fit enough clothes in them to make them too heavy like a suitcase (books on the other hand...).

Quick Reply

Latest