Work experience for forensic psychology

Watch
joannaaace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Any suggestions on any work experience that would be beneficial for psychology (especially forensic). And does anybody know if it's possible to do work experience in a prison?
HEAR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Disclaimer: The only thing I know about psychology (forensic or otherwise) is that my partner is an Educational psychologist.

Sadly, this question has been asked before - and it didn't seem to get an answer: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1655539

On the bright side, the G-dawg allowed me to find this document from the Open Uni, that appears to cover what you want. Don't you just love the OU?

Specifically (section 5) states that voluntary opportunities could include:

• National support groups that work with offenders, for example,Revolving Doors, Prisoner’s Advice Service and NACRO (SACRO inScotland). For a listing of these types of organisation, visit the Linkspage on the Howard League for Penal Reform’s website.
• Local support groups for offenders or victims of crime, for example,Victim Support, and drug or alcohol misuse support groups, such asCAN. Visit the OU Careers Advisory Service page on volunteering forlinks to searchable databases and local contacts.
• Youth groups such as the Prince’s Trust and Millennium Volunteers.Search the internet for local contacts.
Youth offending teams. Most have opportunities for mentors andyouth justice panel members.
• Volunteer for the National Probation Service.
• Some prisons offer a two-week work experience programme. Contactyour local prison, see the HM Prison Service website or considerbecoming a prison visitor.
• Probation Service in Ireland (www.probation.ie): follow ‘What WeDo’, then look at ‘Community Based Projects and Programmes’.
• Young offenders centres in Ireland may provide opportunities todevelop experience.

/Chris
Liv1204
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey,

Getting work experiencespecifically for psychology can be quite difficult because of the issues with confidentiality. Universities won't expect you to have experience specifically in that area (I'm assuming you're not at university already, if you are then ignore that part!), but there are places which you can relate to psychology and forensic psychology.

As HEAR posted above, some of the types of places you could look in volunteering with are:

The prison service - I don't know about work experience, but there are certainly opportunities for volunteering, with the Prisoner's Advice Service, listening services, reading schemes in prisons, all sorts of things like that
The probation service - this was something I looked into doing, and I would really recommend seeing what's out there for volunteering in your area with the National Probation Service
Youth offending teams
Independent custody visitor at police stations
Becoming an Appropriate Adult (supporting vulnerable people or young people who are detained in police custody)
Drug and alcohol support services, addiction helplines, anything like that.

The Samaritans and other mental health lines can be really useful to relate to psychology as well - even if not to directly mention, then to gain those listening and communication skills.

The most important thing is to think about how you can apply any experience you have - even if it might not seen directly relevant - to psychology/forensic psychology. I was offered a place on a Forensic Psychology MSc with very little directly relevant experience (I spent a shift observing the police, that was pretty much it), but I used experience like writing for a bereavement e-zine and even working in a Reception/Year One class and the things I learned there - e.g. the importance of tailoring your communication to the particular audience, the difference in memory recall in young children and how that could relate, the influence of leading questions, things like that!
Johanna89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello my name is Johanna, I'm studying psychology and doing volunteer in the most biggest prison of Spain (I live here now). I would like to move to London in my summer time and the only thing that make me so sad, will be that I wont able to continues as a volunteer there. Its an incredible experience, (if you really have passion for that), this people have a lot of things to tell, to teach,to learn, and for me its very like, " the other face of the coint" (Im not sure if that exist in english, Im argentinian, so sorry for my english). Im looking for a flat and a job and of course, meet new people when I move. If I got a good job to survive in London, I will be so happy to do a volunteer there too, should be amazing for me. In Spain, you need to make an special course before to put a foot in the jail and also check your police records, I have not idea about the process in UK, but If someone can give me some information, I could choose this zone to live. Thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (201)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (52)
11.28%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.59%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.26%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.41%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed