Would anyone class themselves as transgender if there were no gender stereotypes?

Watch
lehhdjs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I work with a three year old who is, biologically, a boy. However, he always seems ashamed and genuinely embarrassed by the fact that he is male and makes every attempt to be like a girl (in the sense that he follows the stereotypes of what young girls 'should' do). His embarrassment clearly shows that it causes him a lot of distress.

I was wondering if people think that anyone would feel like they were born as the 'wrong' gender if these stereotypes didn't exist and the only thing defining gender was a person's genes. Do people think that they are transgender because they act in a way which society tells them is wrong, or is it a lot deeper than that?

((I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with being transgender, I'm purely interested to know if the problems that people, including young children, face regarding their gender is because of society's expectations or more than that.))
HuggleyDuck
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is a difference between gender roles and gender identity. Moreover, the existence of intersex people proves that gender is much much more than biological sex.
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's no way of knowing. A lot of trans people feel physical dysphoria about their bodies, which has nothing to do with stereotypes. But still, if gender wasn't associated with sex, maybe people wouldn't feel physical dysphoria either. The question is kind of irrelevant, because there *are* stereotypes and trans people *do* exist.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (119)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (358)
14.83%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (264)
10.94%
Lack of purpose or motivation (340)
14.08%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (110)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (143)
5.92%
Loneliness (208)
8.62%
Financial worries (90)
3.73%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (102)
4.23%
Exposure to negative news/social media (116)
4.81%
Lack of real life entertainment (128)
5.3%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (209)
8.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (227)
9.4%

Watched Threads